• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen A Theory about Kanto

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    General sum up of things in Red/Blue (1st Gen)
    You have no Father. Your best friend is an Orphan.
    Children decide to go on journeys around the world.
    You mother accepts you as man of the house, and lets you make your own decisions.
    Old man warns you of dangers around the corner.
    Most people you meet are children and/or Gym Leaders
    Most men are old and have jobs related to the military or Crime.
    Hospitals and Gyms everywhere. Yet no forms of entertainment such as Parks and Cinemas.

When reaching Lt.Surge he says
    Hey kid! what do you think your doing here? You won't live long in combat! That's for sure! I tell ya kid, Electric Pokémon saved me during the war.

Me and friend noticed this and realised, the kanto had suffered from a war.
    Don't believe me, look at Kanto, then at the other regions, Kanto is the most under-developed region like it was ruined.

Your dad and your rival's parents probally died during the war.
    You are amongst the first generation of people to live in the peace of a post-war time.

any thoughts?

gee2k8

Slicker than your average
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 24, 2013
    Brutal but its definatly a sound possibilty :). I always found it strange how a mother would let her child wonder off into a world alone whilst animals(pokemon if you will) are soaring around breathing fire, poisoning things with sludge attacks and dodgy men are asking you to fork out all your pocket money for fish.

Last edited:

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    I've read this before somewhere, but it is particularly interesting. Imagine a war of guns and bullets. Now that is not a Pokemon world.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Lt. Surge's line and everyones parents being dead was used in a creepy pasta, one that I can't remember. But it had something to do with adults as well. I just think it's strange you should mention that, since there's a creepypasta about exactly what you're talking about haha.

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Maybe you're right, but I don't think that developers think to that while making this game ;)
    They wanted a gym leader to be the picturing of the violent military and so on, so that Lt.Surge speaks about the war, it's normal.
    For the protagonist's father, we don't know it in others versions neither (except RSE). Same for the rival.

The Slowpoke Kid

Slowpoke Collector
    Years
    I've also seen this before but I'll still talk about it. I imagine a war where the armies use pokemon to fight one another. Is there honestly anything cooler?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I've also seen this before but I'll still talk about it. I imagine a war where the armies use pokemon to fight one another. Is there honestly anything cooler?

Didn't they have a scene like that in the Lucario move in the anime? I remember that Sir Aaron saved the Kanto Kingdom from a completely blown-out war by sacrificing himself to the Tree of Beginning and that wonderful stuff. They showed the two armies though, and they both had Pokemon instead of weapons I believe.

I always thought there was a war somewhere in the Pokemon World, in the games anyway. Lt. Surge was probably the only reason why I thought that. But the whole reference is mainly to WWII, since Lt. Surge is called "The Lightning American" or something like that.

But a past war is still possible.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    I remember hearing this theory that the Pokemon League was founded so people would fight with pokemon for sport instead of war.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Maybe you're right, but I don't think that developers think to that while making this game ;)
    They wanted a gym leader to be the picturing of the violent military and so on, so that Lt.Surge speaks about the war, it's normal.
    For the protagonist's father, we don't know it in others versions neither (except RSE). Same for the rival.

Kanto and Jhoto are connected so meh... Protagonist's father probably died in that war as well. Or Newbark could have been attacked and he died during the attack.

Edit - Protagonist moved from somewhere to Hoehn. Perhaps away from a war in another region?

BryGuy Shinigami

Psychic Pokemon Prophet
    Years
    I saw this theory before. There are a lot of Pokemon theories and conspiracies. I always thought Lt. Surge was talking about Vietnam cause he looked too young to be in WW2 plus my dad was in Vietnam so I always used Vietnam as the default war in fiction. I know Kanto is based on the Eastern side of Tokyo (hence Kanto meaning Eastern). But I thought that Pokemon (storyline) took place in the 90s (same time as most of us playing the games) and Ash's/Red's parents were divorced. My parents got divorced in the 90s and I grew up with my mom as an only child. Ash lives with his mom and is the only child so I always though he had the same childhood as me. (maybe one reason I got into Pokemon). As for Gary, I though his parents lived elsewhere. Other times I thought Giovanni was his dad and Professor Oak was Giovanni's father cause Gary didn't stop Team Rocket in Saffron City as you were.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Kanto and Jhoto are connected so meh... Protagonist's father probably died in that war as well. Or Newbark could have been attacked and he died during the attack.

Edit - Protagonist moved from somewhere to Hoehn. Perhaps away from a war in another region?

No, father isn't important for the story I think :) That's all.
    Look, if they had to show everybody's parents to proof that they're still alive, it would never end... If there really was a war, there would be more allusion to it in the game.
    War it's an important event, they can't leave the player just with little clues like that. And I think it isn't even clues.
    For Hoenn's protagonist, it was just to change of the usual "I go downstairs my room, I speak to my mum and I go travelling the World ! :pink_boogie:".
    A moving is something kinda different, we discover the region at the same time than the hero.

Back