• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Abortion?

Should women be allowed to have an abortion if they so choose?

• Yes, it's their body, so they should be able to choose.

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Yes, but only under certain circumstances, like in the case of rape or incest.

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • No, it's murder, and should not be permitted under any circumstance.

Votes: 12 21.4%

• Total voters

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Oh, I agree too! I would never condone it, and if something like this ever happened to me, I would try to talk the woman out of it... it is, after all, a slightly mutual decision, since there's a piece of the man in that little glob of goo too.

But I also feel it's something we would should teach against. At an abortion clinic, why not go through multiple other options before the decision is acted on? It's always better to teach against it rather than completely ban it.

Like I said, "illegal" is bad for society, and under very rare circumstances should something be made completely "illegal".
    True, the father of the child should be notified and a decision should be made mutally but only if there isnt anything stopping a mutual agreement. if no mutual agreement is made within a certain amount of time then it should become the woman's decision entirely.
    And I agree. Making abortion 'illegal' is bad. I think that with a little bit of Abstinence and other preventative steps along the way will reduce the number of abortions significantly.
    Discourage abortion at every stage of pregnancy but still allow it if the woman decides she wants it or both the mother and father decide together(this may not be possible in cases where the man has deserted her and cannot be contacted or refuses to respond to notification. then it become's the woman's right to decide for herself. Abort, Have the child and put it up for adoption, or Keep it.)

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Do note that even with that distinction, chosing not to engage in sexual intercourse with every fertile member of the opposite gender that you find would still be denying potential life as that is preventing the conditions in which a human being can be formed, and - indeed - masturbating all the time leaves less sperm to get the job done, and thus lessens your chances of reproducing (Again, where do you draw the line for what is 'wasted potential'?). Also, you can't truly know what's going on with the unseparated baby so don't say 'it can feel pain' like it's a proven fact. Sure, it's very likely that this is the case, but technically you can't prove it anymore than that the sun will rise tommorrow. Don't confuse opinion with fact.
    Okay, forgetting the whole "potential" thing since that's too tricky of a word, you're not killing a life though is my point. The sperm and eggs are just that until they've bonded, neither can advance on their own and I wouldn't consider that human life, just the basic ingredients needed for it. Even if it can't be proven that a fetus can or cannot feel pain, I'm always going to assume that it can, if you choose not too, fine by me, but once something is at that point, I'm going to think they've developed at least the most simple of pain receptors.

I was simply pointing out that just because something 'looks' human we shouldn'tmake the mistake of attributing human characteristics to it based solely on appearance, the condition you add is also so and so. Just because it can become a human body it doesn't mean that we should attribute human rights to it before it becomes one. Egg cells can become human bodies too, but obviously periods aren't illegal.
    That's fine and dandy, but I'm not judging anything based on appearance. I'm talking about when something is already at the fetus level, which is where I see a lot of abortions preformed. When I said "a fetus has the potential to become a full life" I don't mean that I don't consider that life, but that it has the potential to become a healthy adult one day.

First off, we don't kill animals out of pure necessity; it has been proven that a human being can survive without touching meat, we are killing animals for convenience (because it's a plentiful and self-replenishing resource) and because a more varied diet makes us healthier (i.e. improves the quality of our lives, i.e. luxury; not necessity). Second, abortions aren't made 'for sport' or 'just for the hell of it', the sex that preceeds it might have, but the abortion is a separate matter.
    'Kay, first off, wanna know what happens to a baby when it's put on a strict vegan diet? This. A vegetarian diet? That depends because as I know it, there are many types, some that make exception and drink milk and other things, some that don't. Meat is generally considered the easiest way to obtain protein. So yeah, I was wrong, a human can survive without meat, but I'd consider that quality of life to be pretty horrible, especially when imposed on a child, you have to greatly increase their intake of foods such wheat, nuts, beans, and tofu to get adequate amounts of protein, iron, calcium and such -- which is most likely why that child died, people don't do the leg work to find out what works and what doesn't. Of course this is all considering that a person generally tries to eat what's healthy and not go too crazy on junk food, but most people don't, at least not in the US. So, yes, a person can survive without meat, but most people wouldn't do the proper leg work to find out what they need to survive and realistically, it's just not a smart thing for children, nine times out of ten, you're going to end up overfeeding them just so they can get the proper nutritional value that a child needs.

But to all the people say stuff like "meat is murder", I just reply, animals do it, why can't we? It's not like I condone animal cruelty, but to the average person, there just isn't enough time to eat all you need to live even a semi-healthy life.

I just can't imagine anyone treating painful surgery and/or depressing medication as a hobby. Seriously, just because someone decides on abortion it doesn't mean that that decision was made lightly. xP
    Sadly, a number of times this is what I've seen be the case. Sometimes it's as simple as teen not wanting their parents to find out that they did the nasty.

First scenario: you know, she'll end up deciding about another person's life either way. If the careless person gives birth to the baby then she'll either have to take care of him/her herself or decide who gets to do it, in either case she's making a decision that will affect the rest of the baby's life and - legally speaking - she is the only one who's allowed to do it, yet - as you pointed out - she's already demonstrated her lack of judgement in the first place. So basically, the mother is highly likely to make a bad choice for the baby-to-be either way. Who's to say that she isn't allowed to make the potentially bad decision that will have the least negative impact on the other people (mother, family etc.)?
    This varies by situation, if the mother is someone who generally lives outside the law, drugs, drinking under age, other things, then what is most likely to happen is that the parent will lose custody of the child if whoever decides that the mother isn't fit to be a parent. Now if it's just someone who did something stupid and had sex, generally lives a clean life, you can assume that she'll have someone to help her make the right choice, be it giving up the baby or not. I don't know too many parents that would just disown their child or not do even the slightest thing to help.

True, the fetus can't defend its rights (assuming that we give it any, which has yet to be decided) but how far does that excuse go to justify harming the lives of others? Does already having been born somehow diminish your rights as a human being? This is a part of the anti-abortion sentiment that I've never understood. So, um...clarify that, please?
    This is just what I believe personally: Once a person is born, matures, they have the ability to make decisions of their own that will affect their life. A fetus can't do that. You're not losing rights upon being born, far from it, I think all young people that can't make proper decisions for themselves, that don't know what right and wrong is should have that extra protection. Of course "right and wrong", admittedly, is a subjective concept, but I'm not talking about the tiniest intricacies, but just general things that we know we shouldn't do if we don't absolutely have to.

Second case: that guilt might not be there were it not for the people screaming 'Abortion is murder!' on the streets, you know. <_< Rape victims are most likely already in a vulnerable emotional state, which is why I find it particularly distasteful that they are subjected to this kind of distressing fearmongering and guilt triping. Also, note that it is still open whether the fetus can be considered to have a life, so we might not be dealing with a decision of whether to harm a life or not but whether to give one or not, those are quite different situations.
    Yeah, I never have and never will agree with the people that get into the faces of others and push their opinions like that, especially on someone like a rape victim. I don't condone abortion myself, but I'm just stating my opinion and would never do anything like the extremists tend to do. Anywho, the guilt, I still think it would be there, of course not being a woman, I'll never know, but again, going on personal experiences with people, most women generally do feel guilty or ashamed afterwards, given time to heal, of course it suicides, but I don't think it's something anyone can ever really clear their mind of unless they have absolutely no problem with abortion and don't view it as taking a life.

I'd also like to introduce a couple of aspects which you excluded here. First, fetuses might get aborted by natural means too, is a woman who takes a too hard hit to the stomach or takes up the wrong diet (resulting in miscarriage) a murderer too? From the perspective of the fetus that's no different from an abortion performed by a doctor, yet the mother might not have made a conscious decision.
    If harm comes to the mother by something that she has no control of, they no, it doesn't make her a murderer. If she's misinformed about what diet she should take (which with all the free clinics there are today, shouldn't happen) or does something personally that harms the fetus/life/whateveryouwanancallit without the intent to do so in the first place, it doesn't make her a murderer, not in my eyes, if that happened with a child already born, I think most people would consider it manslaughter most of the time, and at the very worst, extreme negligence.

Second, what about a pregnancy that occurs in spite of preventatives being used on both sides? Would you still say that the woman has an obligation to give birth to the child even though she did all she could to avoid the situation?
    Yes, I believe the woman has an obligation to give birth. Why? Simply put, I believe in abstinence and that no one should have sex unless they're prepared for the chance that something will go wrong and an unplanned pregnancy will sprout up. You can have all the protection the world has to offer, but nothing is guaranteed in life.

Agreed, "We need to kill people to correct the food/space problem" doesn't sound like an ethically justifiable position. However, I would like to point out that since there already are more than enough of us here, I really don't see a need to force the people who really don't have the potential or will to do it to go through with an unpleasant birthgiving that could potentially harm their health for the rest of their lives. How to say...I'm looking at it not as deciding wheter to end lives really early but whether to bring them into the world in the first place. Also, note that where there is demand there will be supply, that's basic economic reasoning that has proven to hold true in practice, so banning abortion will not stop people from having abortions, it will just shift the suppliers from respectable doctors to black market quacks and suspect pills that will not only end the baby's life but most likely the mother's as well. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see the work done by people who know their medicine and aren't liable to steal the patient's kidney while they're at it. :\
    If giving birth to a child will have any adverse affect on the mother's health, that is the one and only time that I think an abortion should be practiced. Even in planned pregnancies, things can go wrong, the mother may not be healthy enough to carry the baby full term and give birth, she may suddenly become extremely ill. Again, my basic thinking is, if you have sex, be prepared for everything that can come your way. I don't condone abortion, obviously, but I wouldn't push my views on other people and make it illegal, obviously because as you put it, as long as people want to have them, there will be those who provide them, and if they have to do them, I'd rather a trained professional do it and minimize the chances that another life will be lost. I believe in the right to choose, but I just wish people would make educated choices and know the risks.

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    Okay, forgetting the whole "potential" thing since that's too tricky of a word, you're not killing a life though is my point. The sperm and eggs are just that until they've bonded, neither can advance on their own and I wouldn't consider that human life, just the basic ingredients needed for it.

Great point, very good.

Listen, when you bake a cake you need the ingredients. Flour, eggs, water, cake mix. But flour, eggs, water, and cake mix do not make cake. Just because you mixed them together doesn't mean its a cake. But what if you wanted to make cupcakes instead of cakes? Then you get out the cupcake sheet, then you bake it. Once the cake or cupcakes have left the Oven, then, and only then are they considered a cake or cupcakes.

See, its almost a perfect example of the creation of life.(in this case, humans) An embryo is not a human, it is a neutral being, which in meaning, it can become any animal on the face of the planet. But first you need the ingredients, with the sperm and egg being the quote unquote cake sheet/cupcake sheet, and the ingredietns being the nutrients, the process can begin. And finaly, when the finished product leaves the mother, then and only then is it considered a life form, in this case, a human.

So, when some of you people say that abortion is killing life, think again...It is not killing life at all, and if you think that, then you are wrong, and you make yourself seem dumber every time you bring it up.

Years
    Just posting to let you know this is Poll of the Week. *stuck*

Long story short, my view on abortion is let the women decide. It's her life, and I won't force my personal views on abortion on them. I'd elaborate, but I'm sadly very lazy at the moment.

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    I am adamantly pro-choice.

Firstly, not all instances of sex are consensual. If a woman is raped, sexually abused by a family member, or is in danger of injury upon childbirth, she should have the right to an abortion at any stage.

Secondly, there are cases in which a girl's on a date and has been with this man for three or four years, and they've set an accord whereby they'd have sex tonight. The girl could be indifferent in any case, even if the boy ultimately refuses to wear a condom or put any other contraceptive method into practice. You have either of two situations here: the girl could know nothing of potential pregnancy, or she feels that it's not worth offending her boyfriend to withdraw from the encounter. I see this as morally wrong, but it's going to happen and it needs to be accommodated as long as it can happen.

I also know of the argument that hitting a pregnant pedestrian with your car is worth double the points of hitting any other pedestrian. This is in place due to an ambiguity and it can easily be challenged if the woman realises that she did not want the baby. If she did, fine, impose the double penalty. Thus, this is not necessarily indicative of whatever 'value' an unborn foetus has in any society. Foetuses are not included in population figures; they cannot exist independent from the mother for a certain amount of time; they are not included in welfare payment calculation until they're actually born; therefore, abortion economically isn't a murder if the baby is unwanted prior to birth.

Also, if a baby happens to be unwanted, what are the chances that the mother's going to be able to provide for that baby an adequate lifestyle? When Nicolae Ceausescu was dictator of Romania, abortion was illegal; in fact, any woman who had not yet given birth by a certain age would often be stopped in the workplace and fined by government agencies. In other words, a woman was practically required to have up to four children. Grouped with a famine and communism, these unwanted babies grew to be people who resented their upbringing and grew to become criminals. Stephen Levitt's Freakonomics used this fact to attribute the fall of crime in the 1990s to the introduction of abortion following Roe v Wade — the babies who would have the potential of becoming criminals were no longer being born.

Last edited:

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I wrote a big paper on this last year =O

Well first of all, I'm for abortion. I think the women who are in situations where they can't handle a baby should have the choice of aborting it. Now I know that adopting seems like the better choice, but some people just don't want to give their babies to other people. Even if it is a better choice.

Abortion does seem like a harsh thing but some people just don't know what else they can do. This really applies to the teens who have been raped and are ashamed or those who are under a lot of stress about it. I remember reading an article about a teen girl who had her boyfriend beat her in the stomach with a baseball bat because she wasn't allowed to get a proper abortion. I think it would be much better to have someone get a proper abortion done if they need to rather than putting their lives in danger as well.

If the baby is going to cause emotional damage or they just aren't ready for one, it's their choice on if they keep it or not.

G-Klav

Meh, what should this here say
    Years
    This is not so much of a simple yes/no question, it depends on the circumstances. Most of the time, I'd say that a woman has the right to choose, because it's her body after all.
    Not to say that abortion should be used as a contraceptive, it's probably not good for the body if you overdo it, and it's a costly procedure (much more costly than buying a pack of condoms), and having an abortion doesn't remove the risk of having an STD.

Even though I'm religous, I don't think of miscarriage or abortion as murder. A fetus shouldn't have the full rights of a human being. Well, obviously it's alive, but we have to, have to draw the line somewhere if we don't want things to go out of hand, and a perfect example of such a line would be... Birth.

Before birth, the mother must come first in all circumstances. I don't say that pregnant women should start drink heavily or eat polluted food or anything like that, but in a case of emergency the mother must come first.

Captain Arcane

Years
    Hmm, I guess I should have said this in the begining -- I also think women should have the choice wether to or not have abortion, but its not like I said that I wanted it to be manditory, but in the end, all that counts is the womens choice.

The females' votes should overule all of the males', its just one of those things. Its not like guys have to go through labor, and the mixed emotions of abortion. No man will ever know the feeling of bringing new life into this world.

So in the end women will have the last word.

Years
    well, I see abortion as killing somebody, even if that somebody hasn't developed much, however I think it's to be allowed in certain conditions, though only if absolutely necessary, a life is a life

I agree, as you're killing a living thing, but it would only be necessary to have an abortion if something like you mentioned, happened.

Viksu

Hmm..?
    Years
    They can. THEY CAN. Everyone doensn't wanna a kid, righto? And they're pregnant? SHOCK! Abordion isn't wrong D:<
    I know killing isn't nice, but it isn't nice to get a baby, when you just don't wanna it, and you don't have money to feed ya, and the kid?
    It's their choice. That's it.

Pounce

renai kakumei
    Years
    To be quite honest....it is a sad reflection on the state of society as a whole when women are using birth control period. What happened to the good old days when sex was never just a casual thing, but an ultimate act of love between two indiviaduals? When women have to take a pill to be protected from an unanticipated sexual encounter just t obe safe, then society has gone in the crapper.

.. This makes absolutely no sense. The main category of women that are using birth control are - guess what - married. If they wait until marriage to have sex then they usually start it right before the wedding, so they're safe on their honeymoon. Not every sexual act, even when married, is for the purpose of having kids. Not everyone is Mormon, damn. Most people want just two kids or something reasonable like that but they sure as hell want to have sex more than twice.

jesus christ ~head on desk~

I'm pro-choice, not because I think abortion is right or okay, but because it's none of my damn business. And you can't just say "well, she should give birth to the baby then give it up for adoption" oh lol yes that's a FANTASTIC IDEA, because giving birth is just SO MUCH FUN and causes no HEALTH COMPLICATIONS AT ALL, and because she can totally just go about her life as normal up until that point without missing months of school or work or anything 9_9. Seems to a be perspective mostly owned by males, too.

Last edited:

Captain Arcane

Years
    .. This makes absolutely no sense. The main category of women that are using birth control are - guess what - married. If they wait until marriage to have sex then they usually start it right before the wedding, so they're safe on their honeymoon. Not every sexual act, even when married, is for the purpose of having kids. Not everyone is Mormon, damn. Most people want just two kids or something reasonable like that but they sure as hell want to have sex more than twice.

jesus christ ~head on desk~

I'm pro-choice, not because I think abortion is right or okay, but because it's none of my damn business. And you can't just say "well, she should give birth to the baby then give it up for adoption" oh lol yes that's a FANTASTIC IDEA, because giving birth is just SO MUCH FUN and causes no HEALTH COMPLICATIONS AT ALL, and because she can totally just go about her life as normal up until that point without missing months of school or work or anything 9_9. Seems to a be perspective mostly owned by males, too.

All I can say is "Amazing reply".....

i think this thread is kinda dying though.

RoyxLilina4ever

VG lover
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 9, 2016
    I believe that it is the woman's business and her's only.

If I got pregnant from rape, I would definatly abort it. I don't want kids and go through childbirth. Abortion solves unwanted pregnancies.

Once upon a time, there lived a college student with a promising future ahead of her. She was a young single virgin who never had a relationship or a first kiss/date/etc because she wants to wait for the special man as well as marriage. She perfers to concentrate on work and her studies. A stranger comes out and rapes her and she winds up pregnant and with AIDS. Now nobody wants to date her because she has AIDS. She is stuck with an unwanted child and will soon die from AIDS. She had to miss school and work to give birth to the child. She failed her classes because of it and got fired from her part-time job.

This is why abortion is necessary. So that no innocent woman would have to go something this bad. I hope there aren't people like that.

Last edited:

umbreon67696

6gothique6princess6
    Years
    One of my old friends has been pregnant for 3 months...she broke up with her boyfriend because he told her he'd beat it out of her with a golf club. And her dad is insanely evil...he told her that if she had a baby before she was eighteen, he'd have to beat it out of her, possibly taking away her life...
    Plus she's only 85 pounds and almost 16...if she attempted to have the baby, she might not make it through birthing it.

Now, in a matter of life or death, rape, incest, or anything of such matters, I think abortion is completely fine.

Last edited:

legends

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2007
    should be up to the mother at the time, suppose it is muder but it depends on the situation... for example rape then yes, it should be ok

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    I think it would be better if it was only Certain situations.

If a women gets raped, and gets pregnaut, I think it apporiate to have an abortion.

I don't know if they're still doing stem-cell research, but it would be for a good cause if it is still under operation.

Back