• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] About the basics of Git and starting a project with the Pokeemerald-expansion

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I followed this tutorial as closely as possible, but I keep getting a build error. I've tried and retried about 3 times now, but it still doesn't work, it just stops after the last line in this quote.

EDIT: I was able to get it to build with no issues after removing pokemon_expansion.
I honestly don't know what to tell you. I tried to merge the branches just now, and none of the steps have changed. They all still apply and things are working just fine on my end.
You probably missed something, somehow.
lnCIAQS.png

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
I honestly don't know what to tell you. I tried to merge the branches just now, and none of the steps have changed. They all still apply and things are working just fine on my end.
You probably missed something, somehow.
I have no clue what was different, but I did it again, and it worked just fine. I probably did miss something, but I really don't know what it was. Thanks for the tutorial, super helpful.

MysteryGift

disassembly tinkerer / pkmnubuntu dev
Years
Thank you so much! Your tutorials on setting up pokeemerald & implementing DizzyEgg's work are easy to follow for someone with little coding experience outside of XSE and web development. Can't wait to crack on!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Great Tutorial!

I still have a question. I always get this error message. I've tried it several times but always the same mistake. Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Error Message
Spoiler:

The whole process
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Great Tutorial!

I still have a question. I always get this error message. I've tried it several times but always the same mistake. Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Error Message
Spoiler:

The whole process
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen May 27, 2020
Hi, so I've been able to follow all the steps as described but when I get to the final "make -jN", I get an error regarding file 'stddef.h'

In file included from include/gba/gba.h:4,
from src/agb_flash.c:1:
include/gba/defines.h:4:10: arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym L_MusicPlay
erOpen=1 -o MusicPlayerOpen.o libagbsyscall.s
fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory
4 | #include arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym L_SoundBiasReset=1 -o
SoundBiasReset.o libagbsyscall.s
/bin/bash: tools/agbcc/bin/agbcc.exe: No such file or directory
<stddef.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~

Its the very final step and all previous steps have gone through without error so I'm lost as to why stddef.h is now suddenly an issue. When I did the make -jN to compile the base rom, it worked. Has something about the files/code on git changed that would cause this? I'm very confused.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Hi, so I've been able to follow all the steps as described but when I get to the final "make -jN", I get an error regarding file 'stddef.h'

include/gba/defines.h:4:10: arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym L_MusicPlay
erOpen=1 -o MusicPlayerOpen.o libagbsyscall.s
fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory
4 | #include arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym L_SoundBiasReset=1 -o
SoundBiasReset.o libagbsyscall.s
<stddef.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~

Its the very final step and all previous steps have gone through without error so I'm lost as to why stddef.h is now suddenly an issue. When I did the make -jN to compile the base rom, it worked. Has something about the files/code on git changed that would cause this? I'm very confused.
You can see right there that your shell/terminal is not recognizing agbcc.

Did you build agbcc and install it on your Pokeemerald repository?
I mentioned this in the main post, but as you're basically cloning Egg's repository, just like you'd have to do when cloning Pret's, you need to install agbcc in this copy of Pokeemerald.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen May 27, 2020
Ok, while I *did* have the agbcc directory installed, I deleted it and re-installed it to my egggy repository and now I've arrived at the very first problem I encountered 24 hours ago:

$ make -j3
In file included from In file included from In file included from include/gba/gba.h:4include/gba/gba.h:4include/gba/gba.h:4,
from ,
from ,
from src/rtc.c:1src/agb_flash.c:1 :
:
:
include/gba/defines.h:4:10:include/gba/defines.h:4:10:
: fatal error:
4 | #include stddef.h: No such file or directory
4 | #include stddef.h: No such file or directory
4 | #include <stddef.h>
|
|
| ^~~~~~~~~~

After searching I have 2 stddef.h files located:

* G:\cygwin64\home\Robert\pokeemerald_EGGGY\agbcc\ginclude (961bytes)
* G:\cygwin64\home\Robert\pokeemerald_EGGGY\agbcc\gcc_arm\ginclude (9.60Kb)

I'm assuming I can't just move one of those into the include/gba folder, right?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Ok, while I *did* have the agbcc directory installed, I deleted it and re-installed it to my egggy repository and now I've arrived at the very first problem I encountered 24 hours ago:

After searching I have 2 stddef.h files located:
* G:\cygwin64\home\Robert\pokeemerald_EGGGY\agbcc\ginclude (961bytes)
* G:\cygwin64\home\Robert\pokeemerald_EGGGY\agbcc\gcc_arm\ginclude (9.60Kb)

I'm assuming I can't just move one of those into the include/gba folder, right?
Probably not.

What you build and install to your repository is agbcc itself. Its executable files.
You need to cd agbcc, ./build.sh and then ./install.sh ../pokeemerald_EGGGY in your shell.
So, to clarify, are you sure that's what you did?

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen May 27, 2020
You're right. I messed that part up. After doing so, though, it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. After following those commands in your recent post, I still run into:

Code:
$ make -j3
include/gba/defines.h:4:10: fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory
    4 | #include <stddef.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~

I'm not trying to be dumb on purpose, I swear. Basic programming I'm a little familiar with but git is all new to me.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
You're right. I messed that part up. After doing so, though, it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. After following those commands in your recent post, I still run into:

Code:
$ make -j3
include/gba/defines.h:4:10: fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory
    4 | #include <stddef.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~

I'm not trying to be dumb on purpose, I swear. Basic programming I'm a little familiar with but git is all new to me.
I honestly don't know what could be going wrong. All I know is that the tutorial as I wrote it, works.
I'd like you to start from scratch and follow it to a T, without messing with installation paths and stuff like that.

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
So j followed the video and I got to the point with the item expansion and it says please tell me who you are
Run

Git config -- global used.email "[email protected]"
Git config --global user.name "Your Name"

To set your default identify.
Omit -- global to set identify only in this respository

Fatal unable to auto-detect email address

Not sure what I did wrong here followed the video exactly as is??

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
So j followed the video and I got to the point with the item expansion and it says please tell me who you are
Run

Git config -- global used.email "[email protected]"
Git config --global user.name "Your Name"

To set your default identify.
Omit -- global to set identify only in this respository

Fatal unable to auto-detect email address

Not sure what I did wrong here followed the video exactly as is??
You didn't do anything wrong. It was actually my bad.
I completely forgot that you need to link a GitHub account to be able to use git pull, since I have my own already set.

I'll rewrite some of the steps in the tutorial to include this.

EDIT: Done. I'll try to re-record the video tutorial sometime later today, tomorrow at worst.
Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen May 27, 2020
I honestly don't know what could be going wrong. All I know is that the tutorial as I wrote it, works.
I'd like you to start from scratch and follow it to a T, without messing with installation paths and stuff like that.

Absolutely. This time, I made sure to write down everything I did. I abandoned my preference to install everything in G:\ and stuck to C:\ like you instruct. I'm including my step by step process so you might be able to point out to me what specific part I just can't seem to comprehend, lol. I'm breaking it up into parts to avoid giving you a massive wall of text. Before I paste it, even if you decide to wash your hands of it all (I feel like that too!), thank you for your patience and effort in trying to teach me to be smarter about all this. As a warning, I've had to remove the 'https' from any links in the clones/pulls since I cannot post links yet. I promise you they were included during the whole process.

Beginning steps: Deleting, Re-Installing, and Setting Up
Spoiler:

Early steps: First clones, agbcc, pokeemerald, making the first rom
Spoiler:

So far: SUCCESS and at this point I close the shell.

Intermediate steps 1: Egg clones, more agbcc, battle_engive_v2
Spoiler:

Intermediate steps 2: items, pokemon, and some edits
Spoiler:

Closing steps: New commit, small edits, new new commit, and final make
Spoiler:

Failed. I've included the full output of whatever it showed me before it stopped. The stddef.h error is there, again, but you might notice something else in all of it:
Spoiler:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Absolutely. This time, I made sure to write down everything I did. I abandoned my preference to install everything in G:\ and stuck to C:\ like you instruct. I'm including my step by step process so you might be able to point out to me what specific part I just can't seem to comprehend, lol. I'm breaking it up into parts to avoid giving you a massive wall of text. Before I paste it, even if you decide to wash your hands of it all (I feel like that too!), thank you for your patience and effort in trying to teach me to be smarter about all this. As a warning, I've had to remove the 'https' from any links in the clones/pulls since I cannot post links yet. I promise you they were included during the whole process.

Intermediate steps 1: Egg clones, more agbcc, battle_engive_v2
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen May 27, 2020
I never ever told the user to clone agbcc on the folder where they had Egg's Pokeemerald repository cloned.
You didn't have to use cd emerald_egg but cd agbcc, ./install.sh ../emerald_egg and then the rest.

Go to your emerald_egg folder and make sure that this what you see in the tools folder specifically, in relation to agbcc.
uafzjNc.gif

Well that definitely narrows down the part I didn't comprehend. I have corrected that. And I think it would have worked but C:\ ran out of space so it failed to compile. Back to G:\ tomorrow.

Thank you for your time and help!

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
so i was able to follow everything edited all the merge conflicts in the video and only did what was in that video so far but when i get to the make -j3 part it does it but i get this please help me for some reason the photo i sent says sorry not avaliable but you can click it and it will actually show the photo :)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
so i was able to follow everything edited all the merge conflicts in the video and only did what was in that video so far but when i get to the make -j3 part it does it but i get this please help me

So...
1) I forgot to update the copy of my level_up_learnsets.h on GitHub Gist. I just fixed it, so try it again.
For reference though, the one linked in the main post is the one that I update the most frequently.
I just made the Gist to have a quick place to copy-paste the file from for the video.

2) You forgot to delete the lines that get added to a file automatically and serve to pinpoint merge conflicts.
I mention it in the main post, but those lines have to be deleted.
Gladly, the compiler is telling you where it's located exactly. It's in the Line 4607 of the src/pokemon.c file.

Also, please try to use a decent image hosting service like Imgur.
Your picture can not be seen without opening the link to it manually.

Back