• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Abyssal ruins

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • The ruins below the eastern Unova seas, built 3,000 years before the story of bw.so what do you think happened to make the ruins end up under the sea?What did you think of the writing on the red boxes, do you think it has plot relevence to the over all legend of Unova? (I'll post what it says for those who haven't read it later)How far did you get on your first trip though the ruins?Do you feel that the ruins were a gimick?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • They were interesting, and a bit guide-dang-it in that it's not at all obvious on how to reach the other levels. =( It also felt a bit thrown in for the sake of it so that there was actually something to do with Dive - besides that there was little else. Not a bad place but not my favourite, and truth be told although there was less mazes to it I prefer the regi's underground chambers in RSE.

Years
  • Agreed
    They could've added so much more to the ruins...like put Keldeo in them or something...
    I do wonder what their connection to the tao duo/trio is seeing how they're connected to the king/ founder of Unova.

Years
  • A bit guide-dang-it?
    Great sky, at least the Regi ruins were in something easily recognisable and translatable, and (relatively) let you know what the heck you were supposed to do.
    Then there's the fact of how long I spent trying to find the two missing plates, only to find out that some guy already took them... after talking to him and getting them from him by coincidence.
    (and then I go on for a while)
    Simple facts: almost impossible to translate (exactly how many people think 'it must be a cypher!' then start matching things up to letters, read things backwards, and/or alter cypher by letter jump on every level?), intresting seeming story if you can, could have been given SOME role- if the designers had decided to not Railroad the entire game so the entire storyline missed an entire third of the region.
    Managing to actually reach the final floor can give you a great sense of achievement, though.

On my first time in the ruins? I didn't even KNOW that there were other floors, so I was pretty much just item hunting.

Yes, somewhat gimmicky, for all the potential plot worth (if they hadn't, y'know, Railroaded it out of the storyline)- they just seemed to want to mess around with their Dive HM (see, maybe they should just remake RSE so they can do that instead. Or have put other Dive spots. Or something)
    It would be nice to know what the unknown(unown >`_> <`_<) symbols represent.
    "defeated (a) alone" and "(b) joined" apparently switch symbol between the two games (I only own [En]White, so I can't check the validity of that (upper left is "human-shape" pattern, upper right is "unown eyes" pattern)), so possibly a record of the Tao war? King one of the Brothers? "called (c) beings" probably implies a group of Legendaries that has a name, and "(d)" is seemingly the name of the "King" reffered to throughout.
    Some of the messages match up to the Gen IV library books (specifically 2F.)
    3F's "Saved all from waves" line might imply that it was the King who prevented the ocean from covering the ... Palace? so possibly the King disappeared/died and the land sank/ocean reclaimed it, or that it was at least a percieved power granted by... something.

So, my conclusion is: they wasted something that could have had some really interesting bearing on the plot. N is the "King" of Plasma, and including the more recent official revelations about him and looking at the stuff that is written in the ruins there seems to be some prominent connections between what is written and what we know. The crown from the Intro scene, which looks exactly like the Relic Crown save for age; the fact that the Ruin is filled with Arceus' plates and Ghetsis had the Creation Trio's Orbs.

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I thought they were interesting, but not really all that great. I think they'll probably have more meaning in the third game. On the first trip there, I didn't get very far, I went into every corner trying to get the items, which is a shame that it is all that it's good for. It's kind of a waste of a HM.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    Fun fact: Finding any exit from the floor you're on resets the trap countdown.

That being said, I've only made it to the second floor, and the Game FAQs guides are fairly difficult to understand for me. (Then again, this coming from a guy that can't read road maps.) I should give it another few dozen tries.

Also, the reason they cut off the eastern half of the "loop" is because you need the high-level trainers and monsters over there to withstand the rejuvenated onslaught the Elite Four will bring to bear. The reason they throw four monsters hovering around 50 your way is because their primary teams are still licking their wounds from what Cheren and N did to them. When you come back, they have full teams and they're all above 70. (There's also wonderful grist for the grinding mill in the sports domes in Nimbasa, both in terms of experience and EV training!)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Given the trap setup of the ruins, they may have always been underwater.
    I would guess it was probably going to have some importance to the plot, maybe it was even the initial idea for the desert ruins used instead. As it stands it's just a place to make money out of to buy TMs post-game, and to get plates. I don't mind that, they have to put these things somewhere; but I love underwater exploration so for the place to have no importance was a bit disappointing.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • what do you think happened to make the ruins end up under the sea?
    Bad weather, bad Pokemon continuously acting the ruins which made it sink into the water

What did you think of the writing on the red boxes, do you think it has plot relevence to the over all legend of Unova?
    For some odd reason, I think its a plot to Keldo since it is a water type legendary

How far did you get on your first trip though the ruins?
    Not far because it was very difficult yet alone. So I had to watch a couple of youtube videos in order to get through it and get all of the items.

Do you feel that the ruins were a gimick?
    I used to think that because I was never able to get whatever I needed on the first time, but I now think its for Keldo

:t354:TG

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Keldeo. If it doesn't have any connection to Keldeo, really (in the third game), I'd be surprised. Actually, if it were to connect to Keldeo in the third game, what kind of connection do you guys think it'd be? I can't really think of anything rn!

At first it took me a while to figure out how to get through it BUT ONCE I DID (thanks to the Internet) I was all good and got a whole lot of other items. :3

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I suppose they could expand on the ruins a lot more in a third game. Or they could put something else in it's place. But yeah, I don't like the sound of sticking a cute little pony in an underwater ruin, I don't think Keldeo fits in with it anyway. I'd much rather they stick a gen 1-4 Pokémon in there, going along with the whole seeing new Pokémon after you get the national dex. I could probably see Kyogre or Manaphy in there.

TheronElite

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • So, my conclusion is: they wasted something that could have had some really interesting bearing on the plot. N is the "King" of Plasma, and including the more recent official revelations about him and looking at the stuff that is written in the ruins there seems to be some prominent connections between what is written and what we know. The crown from the Intro scene, which looks exactly like the Relic Crown save for age; the fact that the Ruin is filled with Arceus' plates and Ghetsis had the Creation Trio's Orbs.
    I think you might be right, but if it's talking about N, why is it written in braille? There must be something more to it.

Years
  • I don't think it's talking about N, I think the place use to be one of the castle's to one of the Hero's similar to how Desert Ruins was... in the third game it could house one of the dragons. Who knows maybe their was third hero, who had control over Kyurem, the place could have flooded after the last Glacial period too, like the underwater ruins near Japan in real life...
    Also I think N's crown is a replica of the relic crown, which would explain the apperance...

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    I thought they were neat and stupid at the same time. Neat because I love the ruins and myths in the Pokemon games, and stupid because there was no story to it. You just go down there and get a few items, and then get kicked out. There could have at least been a nice Pokemon down here to make it worthwhile. And I think the writing on the walls sort of foreshadows N and Team Plasma.

Years
  • For me the Abyssal Ruins was like Challengers cave a great spot for a legend but with nothing in it...though in Challengers cave case you battle trainers...
    It was also a waste of dive...it seemed like a alpha test for the RSE remake's dive to me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I think Abyssal Ruins are based on Atlantis - ancient island believed to be on Atlantic Ocean before it sank. Abyssal Ruins are on the east side of Unova, the same like Atlantis is believed to had been on the east of America.

Greek mythology says that Atlantis was sunk by the gods because Atlantis' people were arrogant and had been thinking that they are wiser and more powerful than gods.
    Maybe that's why in Abyssal Ruins there are so many messages saying how their king is wise and powerful. Also there are almost all Arceus' plates in that place. This could mean that people of Abyssal Ruins thought that they will more powerful than god (Arceus) with that plates.
    Abyssal Ruins could be sunk by Arceus just like Atlantis was sank by gods from myths. And maybe it was done with help of Kyogre and Groudon because Atlantis is believed to be sunk by tidal waves and earthquakes.

I don't think Abyssal Ruins would have any key role in third game's storyline. Imo they're only abandoned place with ancient treasures to collect, being put as post-game quest, nothing really important. And I don't think Keldeo would live in that place. Keldeo is said to be running on water, not diving underwater. It can't even learn dive.

Last edited:
    Back