• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Addicted?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I'm a recovering texter, and I'd say it is as close to an addiction as technologically possible. Back when I was with my ex, I texted all the time. I mean, a hundred or so (if not more) a day. Drove up those bills real good.

When we broke up, I suddenly didn't really have anyone to text, and found myself looking for people to text (and flirt with, I admit - we've all been there). It was basically text-withdrawal and from there I slowly lost my desire. Nowadays, I'm lucky if I send two texts in a day.

Truthfully, when my phone goes off now, I'm more annoyed than anything. :P

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I do text frequently, but I wouldn't say I'm addicted. I use less than 1,500 texts per month. I text more than actual calls because that's what everyone else I know prefers to do. I still do talk on the phone with people when I can though.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
    It's everyone now really.

You're seeing the older generation having cell phones & texting.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I have not sent a single text in my life. My mom knows more about texting than I do, and quite frankly I don't understand what's so great about it.

As for others being addicted to texting... all you have to do is count how many people on campus bump into you on the way to class, while they're typing on their cell phones, to realize how much of a grip it has on the campus population :/

Zico

¿ !ow
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    Ever since I got my hands on a BlackBerry, I have been 'texting' non-stop. Though before that, I only texted my mom telling her I arrived in wherever or the such; other than that, I preferred to call people rather that sending them a message. Even now, I wouldn't say I am addicted, but I do text a lot, especially using the exclusive BB phone service.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
    The first day I get a new phone, I probably send 100 texts.

The after that I send like 10 a day.

I don't text that much.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    The last time I texted someone was on Saturday, which was to tell a friend I was waiting at the station for them. I text quite sparingly really, perhaps once or twice a week, but If i can't be bothered to turn on my laptop I do occasionally have text conversations.

I don't mind texting on the iPhone (or, if you'd rather, Blackberry, Android etc.) because its nice and easy with a proper keyboard, but the reason I used to never text at all is because i hated the keypad you have to use. I tend to like explaining things elaborately, so the crappy phone keypad annoyed me to no end. However, even with a nice, usable way of texting, I'd rather talk to someone or use MSN.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I have sent only two text messages in my life. I hate doing that. It takes too long, in my opinion, and is an 'excuse' for bad grammear. But everyone else in my school absolutely must text every few minutes.

I have this girl who sits next to me in class. Literally, every 30 seconds or so, her cell phone would vibrate, and she would text back to whoever texted her first.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Personally I don't text people that much...often, what I have to say would spam about 5 messages, and I refuse to shorten my messages on principal. I use casually proper grammar and sentence structure. Anything less I feel is rude.

If I can say what I must say in one text message, then I can text it, but other than that...I prefer other mediums of communication.

...Still, I am human, and there are points in my life that I've made exceptions to that personal rule for people who were special to me at the time. Even then, I rarely ever broke the 500 messages a month barrier. My phone does not stay glued to my hands. XD

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    I used to text a lot, but now I don't. (Mainly because people don't respond to me anymore....) It's not just teenagers. I was in a car accident once because some moron couldn't set her damn phone down for 10 minutes to pay attention to the road.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I don't have a phone. My parents offered to buy me an iphone, no strings attached, but I have no need for it. So, I turned them down.

I probably would get addicted to it if I let myself though... lol

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I'm wondering if "addicted" is the word best suited for the majority of people. That's like saying we're addicted to air, but air is a necessity. Society has more or less grown into the state of mind that easy communication is a necessity, and texting is one of the methods to commit this act. There are people who are likely addicted, but I think for the most part people only text because it's the fastest and most efficient way to contact someone without needing to take the time to make a phone call.

Years
    I think I've probably sent about 2 or 3 text messages in my whole life. I've never really gotten into it, because I can't stand everything being abbreviated with bad grammar, so for even a simple message mine would probably be 5 times longer than the average text. I understand that it's a good way to keep in touch, but I could never understand the people that can text 500 times a day. Is doing that really neccessary?

People who text every few seconds throughout the day annoy me.

You can be having a conversation with them, and then suddenly their phone rings and they start clicking away. And the way they spell and forget how grammar works is repulsive. I text a few times throughout the week, mostly because I have nothing to do from 11:00-3:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I need to tell mom (so she can pick me up) where I'm at in town. She can't answer her phone if I call because she's a teacher, so she just checks for texts after school. I send long texts because it takes me forever to type out just a few words. I use proper spelling and sentence structure, too.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
    I'm not really a fan of texting but my sis always text around, I mean everyday. Even when now I am typing about this, she is currently still texting non-stop. ;P
    I have to admit teenagers, specially the girls text alot since I most likely to see it.

Back