• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new species of Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Actually, I found a tutorial on the git for pokeemerald
    Should have looked a little harder.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I've got my guy ingame, but I don't understand whats going on with the color pallet. I've indexed it to 4bpp with graphics gale
    Z7sMwzM.png

It should look like this
    YMHZPNg.png

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I've got my guy ingame, but I don't understand whats going on with the color pallet. I've indexed it to 4bpp with graphics gale
    Z7sMwzM.png

It should look like this
    YMHZPNg.png

Have you placed your normal.pal file in the same folder as your sprite?

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    hey that did it, thanks.

for a future googler, you need to use gbagfx in your tools folder to make your normal.pal.

Copy your front sprite and drop it in the gbagfx folder

I used
    gbagfx front.png normal.pal
    as my command in the gbagfx folder

Do the same with a shiny version of your sprite for the shiny.pal
    gbagfx shiny_front.png shiny.pal

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    hey that did it, thanks.

for a future googler, you need to use gbagfx in your tools folder to make your normal.pal.

You shouldn't need to do that, running make should convert your .pngs and .pals to the appropriate file types (.4bpp/.4bpp.lz and .gbapal/.gbapal.lz). You might need to delete the old .4bpp/.4bpp.lz and .gbapal/.gbapal.lz files if make didn't work correctly on the first go around, but it should run gbagfx automatically.

If you've edited multiple files and don't mind doing a full rebuild, you can also force a rebuild by using make -B.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • hey that did it, thanks.
    Copy your front sprite and drop it in the gbagfx folder
    I used
    as my command in the gbagfx folder
    Do the same with a shiny version of your sprite for the shiny.pal
    To clarify, you don't have to export the palettes of a sprite with gbagfx necessarily. Image editors like Photoshop or GraphicsGale allow to export .pal palettes too.

Back