• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Adopt a Newb Thread!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I'll also put in my vote. Looks pretty interesting, and I <3 meeting new people. This will definitely make the new member feel welcome.

Years
    I'm not too sure how much my opinion matters but I am a newbie here and think it would be a really good idea and would jump at the chance to be shown the ropes by some older member of the forum.

I tend to shy away from a lot of the discussions as I'm not just new here but...sorta...new to the whole Pokemon gaming thing and feel I don't have a lot to add to a lot of things here.

So, assuming y'all go along with it, I'd happily put myself up for adoption even if it sounds a little corny :P

Long as I don't have to call you Mommy...or Daddy...I'm fine ;)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Honestly, it's a good plan. It would introduce the rules to the new members, and it could also reduce SPAM. It also may help in stopping bots from signing on the site, as they would have to go through this as they are new. I'd like to see this implemented, it's beneficial to all- members and staff!
    I don't see it reducing SPAM and stopping bots. It isn't like there would be any type of code implemented, just a thread.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    I honestly wouldn't mind helping to set this up and what not. I'll take this to place where we decide on this sort of thing and we'll see where it goes from there.

Years
    Anyone wanna unofficially adopt me? :P

I've never even tried to explain Pokemon to my parents, I mean, HOW?

"Ok, I have this little yellow mouse looking thing that shoots lightning bolts and he's fighting a massive blue fat pokemon that's so big and fat it blocks roads."

I'd get disowned I think.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    About what Hiidoran said about New members going straight to trading or ROM hacking. When signing up to be adopted each Newb should say what they want to do on this forum, what they are interested in/ what they want to accomplish and get a person who is confident in that area to adopt them.

E.G A new Artist wants to be adopted let a long time artist from this forum show them around

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I think Hiidoran does have a point in that there are only a few regulars to the new board as it is.

However, I'd just like to throw out the idea that adopting a new member is a lot more personal and likely to result in friendship than welcoming someone in their introductory topic for instance. I think perhaps it would have more appeal to some as a result, as well as being quite fun. (At least, I think so x3)

Like, adopting a new member would obligate a bit more contact, most likely in PMs, VMs, or if convenient the two's favorite IM, than simply saying "Hi, welcome to the forums, be sure to read the rules!" and etc.

Oh, and perhaps as part of the thread the new members should state the sections of the forum they're interested in.

As nice as this sounds, it doesn't really seem that necessary. I mean, how hard is it to post on a forum?

I don't see why not being "necessary" is a good reason not to do something nice though, especially when it's this easy. =3

To be honest it seems a bit rude for new people, who would want to join a fourm where people call you newbs... and where people want to adopt you... ? I find it creepy in a way also...

Call it something else then. ._. "New Member Adoption Thread" works just as well, y'know? The original used the term "Newb", which is why I used the it.

I would love to see something like this implemented in PC. And if it does get in, I call dibs on adopting you, despite you not even being a newbie to begin with.

ROFL! Okay! xD Sounds fun!

Anyone wanna unofficially adopt me? :P

I would totally like do that.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    To be honest it seems a bit rude for new people, who would want to join a fourm where people call you newbs... and where people want to adopt you... ? I find it creepy in a way also...

I don't think the term 'newbie' is in any way insulting. Everyone is a newbie at some point, it's 'noob' that is meant as insult, and the two terms are pretty different.

Anyway, I've seen this done on multiple other forums, and if PC started it.. I have to say that I wouldn't mind. I'd really like to see something like this happen, especially since it would actually make the NU / W area more fun for new members. Newbie Adoption would be a great way to break the ice for some, but at the same time.. nothing guarantees that all the new members will even take part. So the objective would be to make it fun / helpful for the ones that do take part, we shouldn't force someone.

There's also the issue of what would happen if someone adopted said newbie, and didn't really do their role of helping them out. Either that, or who's to say they'd even get along? > >; If it goes poorly, how would that be handled? "I don't wanna adopt this newbie anymore, I'm giving it back?" ...That's awful. xD;

The whole idea seems like it's worth a shot, but there's a lot of little cons to consider / work out.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I like the idea, like, a lot. I also agree with Mew~ about the title being a bit creepy and rude. We could at least change it to "Help a Newcomer!" or something along those lines?

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    Pretty decent idea, but just imagine if some newbie gets adopted by someone then becomes inactive, it goes on and on with the next adoptee. Kinda unreal lol

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Another thought occurs to me at the moment, that being the entire PC Family system that has floated around and existed officially and unofficially for ages. (at least since 2004).

It's pretty all inclusive though, but we could definitely park a PC family thread in NU/W too, because that's pretty much equivalent to adopting a member to show them around. Perhaps some may disagree, but it'd be a good place for newbies to post up which parts of the family they'd like to be, and for them to make friends anyways, even if it's only amongst themselves. (As they say, two heads are better than one on some things)

That being said, just having an adopt a newcomer thread itself is a noble cause which shouldn't be shot down. Perhaps there just may be enough members around who can adopt a new member or two.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    It's pretty all inclusive though, but we could definitely park a PC family thread in NU/W too, because that's pretty much equivalent to adopting a member to show them around.
    I really wanna say no to that one... it just seems like something that would be more beneficial over in OC. I mean, organizing a "PC family" is something that wouldn't be primarily for new members, so I can't really see why it should be over in NU/W.

But, back to the adoption idea...

A lot of good points have been brought up, and as I said earlier, I love the idea of this system. I'm definitely with Drew concerning the whole compatibility and reliability issue... we'd definitely need good organization to get this off the ground properly. Which brings up some questions concerning just how moderated we should make this system. Should people just volunteer to be adopters? Should there be a reviewing process? Do the adopters get "fired" if they're not being responsible? This might take quite a bit of planning before being implemented, but everyone's ideas are certainly in the right place. ^^

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If this happens we also don't wanna make this into a huge ordeal, and over think it.

All in all, it's supposed to be something fun, and also relatively simple.

The way I've seen it done, is there's a main adoption thread, and older members can stop in there and randomly adopt a newbie. That version is one that's much less organized, and loose than some other forums make it, though. The level of complexity depends on the forum, I suppose.

Also, someone mentioned calling it something like 'help a newbie' .. that almost makes it seem like a replacement for the newbie hangout, VMs, PMs, and CQ&A. D; More than likely it would fill it up with questions, or something.. People might miss the point. o_O; 'Adoption' sounds more fun, and less serious.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

Also, someone mentioned calling it something like 'help a newbie' .. that almost makes it seem like a replacement for the newbie hangout, VMs, PMs, and CQ&A. D; More than likely it would fill it up with questions, or something.. People might miss the point. o_O; 'Adoption' sounds more fun, and less serious.

Agreed. A help a newbie thread is a lot less awesome and personal, nor does it encourage friendship on the same level as the whole adoption thing.

Should people just volunteer to be adopters? Should there be a reviewing process? Do the adopters get "fired" if they're not being responsible? This might take quite a bit of planning before being implemented, but everyone's ideas are certainly in the right place. ^^

I'm not exactly a staff member... But in my personal opinion, there are two good ways to go about this. If the mods are willing to put in some effort, there could be some restrictions set. Say, 100, 150 posts required? A one time reviewing process? As for "firing" I say there should be no reason to fire someone that isn't already breaking the rules as it is. Basically, all rules apply and if the adoptee simply isn't satisfied, they can ask for a different adopter,

The way that requires minimal work on the staff's part is to simply let adopters volunteer, put them on the thread, and let adoptees choose. All forum rules apply and etcetera. No restrictions and whatnot.

Perhaps each adopter could submit a short bio about themselves such as interests, age, and a personality description to be under their name in the list.

Years
    I don't see why not being "necessary" is a good reason not to do something nice though, especially when it's this easy. =3
    I said later in my post that this wasn't a reason. On the contrary I'd be more than happy to adopt somebody myself and show a new member the ropes, I'm just worried that there aren't many ropes to show. I've got no problem with it, though. It's a wonderful idea :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I think it's a great idea.
    I remember when I was new to PC,
    It wasn't very easy to join a discussion
    or do many things. D:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    I think its a great idea, they could say what their interested in so an older member knows his newbie match.
    (I dont like the newbie word :P)
    I would love to see this action it might reduce post like "great job on this hack" in the game dev section :D
    This wouldve been great when i was new. I been here for a while, but only now i am somewhat comfertiable. But my familys always been shy, so wonder why :D

Back