• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Advance Map Emerald Champion Scripts

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2022
    Hi, two questions - I'm making some changes to Emerald using Advance Map (and a few other programs). Most of my changes have gone smoothly (changing encounter tables, changing some movesets) and I've been trying to change the Champion battle from Wallace to Steven.

I was able to change his sprite, team and his dialogue and when testing this it's all working until May walks in after you defeat him, the game is breaking. She walks up and then I can't move. I have XSE (and PKSV) downloaded and it successfully lets me alter scripts for any events, except anything in the Champions room. I can't open Steven, May or Birchs events. I haven't edited any scripts yet and the only things that are changed in the Champions room were changed using a-text and a-trainer.

Why can't I open their events? Am I looking in the wrong place? The other question, the vs sprite before the battle is still Wallace, where do I look/what do I use to swap this? I'm not sure if I can link to a download of the ROM here but if I'm able I can post it for whoever to take a look if you'd want. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Following! I found the same issue, I'll let you know if I find an answer before someone else can get back to you!

kapparill

kapparill#8871
    Years
  • It is much easier to achieve these sort of edits using the disassembly project, pokeemerald. It provides more customisability, and other great features :)

Years
  • First of all, DO NOT use Advance Text to edit anything. It's buggy and it is probably a reason why your script now is broken. Now, Champion script is something called a level script. Level script is a script that is tied to the map itself, not to the tile or NPC. Open the Champion's room in Advance Map, go to Header tab, and there you'll see a Map Script section. Then, click on the arrows of the Script no until you find a script with a script type "02 Validates values..." or "04 Validates values..." (i don't remember which one of these two). Then click Open Script. This is your Champion script.
    Regarding the Wallace's sprite... You should just replace the sprite itself with NSE or any other program of your liking and then it will show up correctly everywhere.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2022
    Worked like a charm, thank you for the help! Time to delete Advance Text and look into NSE to change the VS sprite

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2022
    First of all, DO NOT use Advance Text to edit anything. It's buggy and it is probably a reason why your script now is broken. Now, Champion script is something called a level script. Level script is a script that is tied to the map itself, not to the tile or NPC. Open the Champion's room in Advance Map, go to Header tab, and there you'll see a Map Script section. Then, click on the arrows of the Script no until you find a script with a script type "02 Validates values..." or "04 Validates values..." (i don't remember which one of these two). Then click Open Script. This is your Champion script.
    Regarding the Wallace's sprite... You should just replace the sprite itself with NSE or any other program of your liking and then it will show up correctly everywhere.

Worked like a charm, thank you for the help! Time to delete Advance Text and look into NSE to change the VS sprite

Years
  • Worked like a charm, thank you for the help! Time to delete Advance Text and look into NSE to change the VS sprite
    I'd say do not delete Advance Text, it is quite useful for finding text offsets, just use another program to edit the text itself.

Back