• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adventure! [Part 2] - Expository Gameplay Limitations

pkmin3033

This has probably been done before, but let's roll with it.

You're about to undergo your own grand adventure in a vast, unknown world populated by fearsome monsters, bosses ranging from the titanic to the tiny, dungeons and caves aplenty, and NPCs who can't do anything themselves and need you to do everything for them. A world of blood, sweat, tears, fetch quests, and dramatic revelations awaits you! But wait, what's this? You're naked and alone! A cute little bunny could kill you in this state! We need to prepare you for your adventure. So, let's get down to business!

You are allowed to take the following, from any video game you have played:

- TWO weapons of your choice; one as your main weapon, and one as a backup. Weapons that come in pairs count as one weapon.
    - ONE non-combatant companion, to provide moral support on your journey. When it comes to fighting they won't step in, though.
    - ONE set of armour. This can consist of pieces for your head, body, arms, legs, and a maximum of two accessories such as rings, capes, etc. If you pick an item that doesn't allow you to equip other items (i.e. a suit of body armour that doesn't let you equip things to your arms and legs) you must abide by this limitation here.
    - ONE method of transportation. Fuel, if required, is assumed to be infinite here.
    - THREE party members, to journey with you on your quest and assist you through good times and bad.

One rule: everything you choose needs to be obtainable in the game it is originally from. You cannot take items from bosses, unless you could obtain these items yourself. If you couldn't use it or recrut it in the game, you can't use it here.

As a bonus, you can also pick ONE character theme, and ONE battle theme. These can be anything at all, as long as they're from a video game.

So, what are your choices, and more importantly, why have you picked what you picked? The more detail, the better. Get yourself ready for your grand quest...to be continued in a later thread.

Sir Codin

Chaos +5 Zweihander from Dark Souls (if you want, it can start uninfused) and an Anti-Material Rifle from Fallout: New Vegas. (or a 2x-barrel shotgun from DOOM)

One Non-combatant companion

Princess Zelda (OoT adult version or ALttP version): waifu, fanservice material. Expect beach scenes.

One set of armor

Head: as per my own personal "no looking retarded" rule, I won't use a headpiece. Unless it's the Mask Of The Father.
    Torso: The Leather Armor from Fallout series...aka, a copy of Mad Max's iconic jacket. Not the best protection, but it looks snazzy.
    Arms: Golden Gauntlets from Zelda: Ocarina of Time, painted chrome. It's basically Strength-gauntlets; Link was able to move gigantic slabs of stone with these on. These things will allow me to wreck foes with helpless abandon with my Zweihander whilst having the weapon feel like a feather in my hands.
    Legs: The Boots of Speed from any given D&D video game (let's pick Baldur's Gate). This will allow me to run circles around my foes whist cutting them down.
    Accessory 1: The Choloranthy Ring from Dark Souls. High stamina recovery
    Accessory 2: The Third Dragon Ring from Dark Souls 2 (the First and Second are shit). Stamina, Health, Endurance....everything I could possibly ever want or need.

Method of Transportation:

The Highwayman from Fallout 2. Especially if this is a medieval setting....give the adventure a nice Bruce Campbell "Army of Darkness" vibe.

Three Party members

Morte (from Planescape: Torment; funniest. NPC. ever; plus his bite is deadly and he can insult enemies into attacking him while he has ridiculously high AC and HP)
    Aeris (final fantasy vii; healer, ball-ripper, can take a katana for me in a dire situation)
    Edwin Odesseiron (Baldur's Gate: because of course the party needs a filthy mage to deal with other filthy mages, plus comic relief)

Oh, the shenanigans....

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I imagine my bizarre and hypothetical video game adventure to be as violent and edgy as ***K and with loads and loads of organ parties. OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

Two weapons:
    Spoiler:

Brutal Doom: Project Brutality's Autoshotgun with the Drum Magazine for instant shell reloads.
    Spoiler:

High Frequency Muramasa Blade from Metal Gear Rising for those times i just want to slice off heads. Also, these are two perfectly fair weapons. I want to fight those demons with skill and brutality.

ONE Non-combative companion:
    Claptrap from Borderlands, the non-combative models. Ooooh check him out. HE'S DANCIN. HE'S DANCIIIIIIIN!

One set of Armor:
    Spoiler:

CryNet Nanosuit from Crysis. But I'll recolor the whole thing with my favorite color scheme of blood red and black. The Nanosuit will offer myself more powers and abilities as well so this is a plus.

Method of Transportation:
    I'd be riding, styling, and profilin, with the Rocket Gunner Vehicle from Borderlands

Three Party Members:
    Spoiler:
    Xin Zhao from League of Legends. I need someone to cover my flank and he's the perfect candidate on doing that. With his spear, his fervor of battle, and obviously his equally manly desire to kill all those evul BEECHES makes him the perfect candidate. Not to mention, he's godly synergy with the Sated Devourer item.

Spoiler:
    Arcueid Brunestud from the Tsukihime/Melty Blood/Nasuverse series. An immortal vampire of immense power, a pretty face, and at times the attitude of a 17 year old girl? Hell yeah. And she doesn't need to use Firearms so more of the ammunition goes to me and the rest of the team that can use firearms (Xin and Coach). And did i forget to mention that because she's an immortal vampire, she's also very very tanky? Also, Best Girl and Waifu.

Spoiler:
    "Coach" from Left 4 Dead 2: We need the motivational guy to help us fight all those EVUL Nazi Supersoldiers, the Crimson Lance Soldiers, and of course the Demons from Mars. He'd be our team's father figure and try making all of the smart decisions.

With our 4 man squad of 3 guys and 1 Arcueid, we are ready to be slicing, flakking, slugging, and ripping off those naughty Crimson Lance soldiers, Demons from Mars, Evul Cybernetic Ops AI gone rogue, drug lords, ZED Specimens, and those zombies' crotches off their groin, and SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROATS! and gloriously feel the WRATH OF THE MURDER SQUAD! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • This should be easy (and probably wildly different from anything chosen by anyone else)

Weapons:I'll take the "Thunderlord" from Destiny. The longer I hold the trigger the more accurate I get! Win-Win! The Arrowhead laser sniper from Star Citizen. Can be charged up for an even more damaging shot, perfect for long range de-hostilization.
    Moral Support: Why a scientist from Black Mesa of course! "Oh my god we're doomed! No! No! I don't want to die!"

Armor: very skimpy armor plates that direct the force of blows directly to vital organs Actually, now that I think about it I'll just take the Elite Assault armor from Natural Selection 2. Probably painted Kryptek Highlander with a tan undersuit.
    Spoiler:

Transportation: What other than the MV-24 Vulture from the Crysis Series. What better to save my day than a VTOL gunship with room for 6!

Party:

Corporal Shepard: Half-Life Opposing Force. Good for medium range engagements. "Master strategist". Doesn't say much though...

Spoiler:

Garrus: Mass Effect Series. A great sharpshooter. A loyal companion. Comic Relief
    Spoiler:

Thel 'Vadam(The Abiter): Halo Series: Seemingly deadly with anything put in his hand. An actual Master Strategist. Strong yet with form and finesse. Probably my favorite on the team.
    Spoiler:

My equipment was horribly outdated so I have chosen some more up-to-date ones. Final choices.

Last edited:

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • This'll be fun. Expect a lot of Metal Gear.

Weapon 1: Obivously the High-Frequency Murasama from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. It can cut through just about anything with absolute ease. And it's a sweet blood red. AND THE HILT OF THE SWORD SHOOTS IT OUT LIKE A GUN.
    Spoiler:

Weapon 2: RYNOCIRATOR from Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal. When an ridiculously op samurai sword doesn't work, I'll be able to fire a million heat-seeking rockets instead. Screw subtlety, and who cares about collateral damage?
    Spoiler:

Moral Support:Palutena from Kid Icarus Uprising. Gods can provide the best moral support, especially when they're gods with a good sense of humour (and an amazing voice).
    Spoiler:

Armour:
    Raiden's Cyborg body from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Virtually indestructible, ridiculously bad-ass, and boosts every single physical stat (speed, strength, etc) through the roof. Sure, I'd be losing out on basically every single human body part, but who needs a normal arm when I can have a bad-ass cyborg arm? Fueling it might be a bit of a problem, I DON'T CARE.
    Spoiler:

Along with this, I'd also wear the Cape from Super Mario World (for the flight).
    Spoiler:

Transportation: A "Big Rig" from Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. Three words. Light Speed Reversing.
    Spoiler:

Party Member 1: Maxwell from Scribblenauts. His notebook allows him to create absolutely anything, which would be immensely helpful on a massive quest. Need a ladder? Maxwell's got your back. Need food? How about a 4 course dinner, made in an instant? Need shelter? Maxwell can create a 5 star hotel from scratch. You get the picture.
    Spoiler:

Party Member 2: Samus Aran from Metroid. Essentially a living nuke, Samus packs a ridiculous amount of fire power in a single suit. And curling up into a ball is also pretty cool too. (I think Metroid is pretty cool guy. He kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything).
    Spoiler:

Party Member 3: Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series. Sure, he's woefully underpowered compared to everybody else, but he's still a bad-ass. And he has infinite ammo! He'd absolutely be the tactics/guerilla warfare guy (plus, free cardboard boxes for everyone!)
    Spoiler:

EDIT: How could I forget the music?

Character Theme: Absolutely has to be the Metal Gear Solid 2 Main Theme (I assume you mean like, a theme for the characters in general. And not a specific character theme).

Battle Theme: RULES OF NATURE.

Last edited:

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Weapons

AWP - The notorious sniper rifle that could kill any human with one shot.

Knife - Useful in any condition and the very light.

Non-combatant companion

Spongebob - Your best life companion for everything except fighting. He can't kill a patty.

Armor

I prefer Dayz survival game equipments so here are the list:

Head: I like to choose Balaclava mask and a bandana
    Body : I get TTsKO jacket for better camoflauge
    Arms : TTsKo Pants for camoflauge
    Legs : i'm not sure where the hell would I be so I choose combat boots.

Here is the pic of them in case you do not know.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Obviously my amour suits seems have no any additional effects because I just want to be more camouflaged and to be more fair.

Transportation : this might be enough for everything.

Spoiler:

Doctor Edward Richtofen

The crazy doctor that worked in secret scientist group of German. Good for using secret weapons such as Ray Gun in Call of Duty.
    Spoiler:

Takeo Masaki

A wise imperial Soldier, great at Melee combat fights.

Spoiler:

Nikolai Belinski

A drunk Russian soldier, but very great at handling weapons

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    man there's so many things to pick from but I'd roll with this I guess

Weapons
    -Photon/Beam/Lightsaber, Laser blade: whatever you wanna call them, I'm taking one of these. Some of the coolest weapons ever made and cut through most shit pretty well.
    -Frozen Shooter: From Phantasy Star Online. A rifle that fires accurate, ~100% chance freeze shots that also do damage as well. Thing is such a goddamn lifesaver for Rangers in that game so I'm sure as shit packing one.

Armor
    -Head: A hat. Yes, a hat. Kind of like CharChar I tend to not use headwear in games since 95% of headgear in games looks like such ass. Hats are an exception though. I like hats. Get a pick of a bunch of different ones. Even hats will provide some sort of defense in games. When do RPG characters ever wear practical headgear anyway?
    -Body, Arms, Legs: The NCR Ranger combat armor from New Vegas. Both looks good and is practical since the trench coat is mixed in with legitimate armor.
    -Accessories: At the very least I'll be using a Chloranthy Ring from Dark Souls. Better stamina recovery is always a good thing, especially when you're me and don't have great stamina.

Transportation
    -A Skell. Ares 90 specifically. Unless this was something that the whole group of 5 was meant to be able to ride at the same time? Then I'll take the Elsa from the Xenosaga trilogy.

Posse
    Party Members:
    -Robin (Fire Emblem Awakening)
    -
    -
    Non-Combatant Companion:

Last edited:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Here are my picks:
    Main Weapon: DC-17m Interchangeable Weapon System
    Side Weapon: M-6 Carnifax
    Armor: MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Oceanic
    Mode of Transportation: M-44 Hammerhead
    Non Combat Companion: Smart AI Serina
    Party: Members: Tali'Zorah vas Normandy, HK-47, Spartan Sarah Palmer

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Arsenal

Main/Xtreme Deadwood Tree (Phantom Brave) - I'm seein' all these guns and stuff here and can't help but feel that there's a lost appreciation for the wonder that is nature and magic! A Deadwood tree might seem like a strange choice- because it is, to some extent, but for those who've played Phantom Brave it'll make a fair amount of sense. Helps that it can be wielded one handed and doesn't hinder movement.

Side/Practice Katana (Fire Emblem) - Generally my alternative would be Fisticuffs, but this pretty much guarantees speed and isn't particularly lethal, both of which are pretty close to my character.

Moral Support

Nagito Komaeda (Super DanganRonpa 2) - The guy reminds me a lot of myself, and his snark and warped mindset would just be too fun. Plus, it's pretty rare that the guy's actually flustered. He's always looking out for hope- even if it isn't necessarily my aid me at the time.

...Strongly considering Sonia Nevermind, though, but we'll see.

Armor

Head/Nothing
    Body/Nothing
    Arms/Nothing
    Legs/Deserter's Trousers (Dark Souls...?)

Ring 1/Hellfire Ring (Diablo 3, apparently)
    Ring 2/Power Glove (Terraria) - It's so bad.

Transportation

Inazuma Caravan (Inazuma Eleven GO 2: Chrono Stone) - Strongly considered the Epoch, but they both fly and this one's more compact.

Party

Healer/Compa (Hyperdimension Neptunia)

E-uh...do we have to have three companions?

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Weapon 1: RYNO - The original one from the very first Ratchet and Clank, this thing was so strong it would send out super fast, omni-directional flying missiles that could obliterate anything it touches. Other versions might look more flashy but this one was the most efficient and absolutely nothing could tank this.

Weapon 2: Nagrarok from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - In case any enemies actually get close to me I now have this stupidly strong sword that can cleave anything in half with the added bonus of increasing my speed and mobility which means I can also gain distance if I needed to.

Non-combat Companion: Gogoat - This is the ultimate companion for any starting adventurer. It's a mount, pack horse and food source all in one. If I ever get thirsty I can always rely on Gogoat to give me that milk drink and besides even if it can't join me in combat there's nothing stopping me from firing my RYNO at oncoming enemies and obliterating them before the battle can begin.

Armor:
    Head
    - Ribbon from Final Fantasy V - Protects me from any magical ailments that the enemies might try to befall on me and it gives +5 to all my stats, which is like the equivalent of an ancient power boost in Pokemon.
    Body - Adamant Armor from Final Fantasy IV - +100 Defense, +20 Magic Defense, +12 Magic Evasion, +15 to Strength, Stamina, Intelligence, Speed, and Spirit. This is pretty much a game breaking equipment right here but since I'm the one on the adventure I rather not make life or death the fights more challenging for myself.
    Arms - Hero's Shield from Final Fantasy IV - I know this is getting old but a shield that can absorb all elements and gives a +15 to all my stats just makes me that much harder to kill. It's also apparently light enough that even squishy mages can wield it without any drawbacks, in fact it might even be small enough to just wear on your wrist.
    Accessory 1 - Zol Ring from Golden Sun Dark Dawn - A ring that can multiply my speed by 1.8 times would definitely be very useful especially since I'm already getting these massive speed boosts from my other equipment.
    Accessory 2 - Iron Duke from Final Fantasy X-2 - I have no idea what kind of accessory this is but I do know that gives +100% Max HP, +100% Max MP, +100 Strength, +100 Magic, +100 Defense, +100 Magic Defense, +10 Agility, +100 Accuracy, +100 Evasion, and +50 Luck. Even a scrub like me at the start of my adventure can take on the final boss with these kinds of stat boosts.

Transportation: The Invincible from Final Fantasy IX - Since everything else of mine seems to be aiming at this anyway I might as well continue the trend. Having airship is pretty cool especially if there's no openings for your enemies target at, it also helps that it has teleporting technology and the ability to capture and control any eldritch creature. Now all I need is to kill a few dragons and pawn off its hides so that I can get a bed and fridge for my airship.

Three Party Members:
    Good Guy Sephiroth/ Final Fantasy VII -
    This guy can take out enemies faster than you could can count to 5. He's a nice and supporting friend who also happens to be a master of all kinds of magic including the healing kind.
    Hero of Oakvale/ Fable - His ability to slow down time is one of his more mundane abilities, enough said.
    Mama/ Cooking Mama - It's a good thing my party has someone that can cook our own food rather than eat at a pub because we really need to save money to improve the living conditions of our impenetrable airship. Also she's pretty amazing with a knife so I can assume that she'll be able to fillet those monsters during battle.

pkmin3033

Part Two - Expository Gameplay Limitations

Congratulations, adventurers-in-training! Your gear is ready, your party is set, and you are now a force to be reckoned with...and I reckon it's time you proved it! So, take a deep breath, save your game, check your equipment - and if you're a newcomer to this thread, be sure to check out the first post and reply to that first! - and get ready to embark! The journey begins here. Prepare to di-uh, I mean, do...something.

You have THREE options. Bear in mind that these will (probably) affect your future decisions and your ultimate ending!

OPTION ONE

"What the hell am I supposed to be doing? Don't leave me hanging here!" You must be thinking. Good thing there is a nearby TOWN to visit! In this town you will find several random NPCs who say the same thing over and over if you speak to them - because programming space is limited, and nobody talks to these people more than once anyway - but you will also find ONE NAMED NPC who will offer you a SIDEQUEST. What type of sidequest this is is up to you, but at the end of it you will be rewarded with one of three possible rewards:

1. MONEY. Or whatever you call it. Amount to be determined. Will this pay off, or be a huge waste of time? Time will tell...
    2. EXPERIENCE POINTS. These are universal in any language. But will they make a difference? Who knows...
    3. THE NAMED NPC WILL JOIN YOUR PARTY...for now. Who can say what the future will hold?

OPTION TWO

You know what, screw everything! This is a game! You want to play! Oooh, that DUNGEON over there looks like a lot of fun, doesn't it? Let's go exploring! As this is early in the game, there is ONLY ONE TYPE OF ENEMY in it, and the layout is pretty simple, although at the end there is also a MONSTER BOSS. Looks like it's guarding something, too. But do fools rush in where angels fear to tread? After all, you've dived straight in to the game's first challenge and, no matter how good you are, that could be fatal...or it could pay off big time. Who knows? Dare you find out?

OPTION THREE

GRIND. For those of you who don't like jumping into things - or are just too lazy to go through the other two options - you have the choice to grind. Bear in mind that the STARTING AREA has only TWO LOW-LEVEL ENEMIES, and they don't drop any items. This option could put you in a very good position for later...or it might not. Your call.

Same rules apply to all three, same as last time - pick your option, pick your choices for the CAPITALISED ITEMS, and explain your choices. What will become of these choices? You'll have to wait until next week to find out! Because I haven't written the next post yet and I'm kinda-sorta winging it as I go, even though I have an overarching plan or I wouldn't be continuing it

Arsenic

Years
  • I don't get it. Are we supposed to pick an option and say why we picked it? Am I supposed to write up my actions?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • basically, you choose the three options above to continue the progress.

I choose option two, my team is ready for anything, somehow

Arsenic

Years
  • Ok. I suppose I'll choose option one then...? Most quests end up leading to dungeons anyways so I guess I get twice the loot!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I'ma go with option one. The game doesn't need to spell out literally everything for me but just a tiny bit of direction is nice.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Option 2:

Why i went with option two? Because i'd like to go into that E1M1 HANGAR, kill some FORMER HUMANS with my murder squad, and face off against a CYBERDEMON, and rip its painis off its 10 something foot groin.

Given how i like to have a crazy murderfest campaign full of delicious blood fountains, euphoric organ parties, and of course all those glorious and ludicrious gibs, me and my party would love to be gloriously running around like a bunch of 80s-90s action heroes and shooting dicks off!

It may sound tame, with a big, fat, and risky challenge waiting for the end, but when you're someone like me whose born to play violently, then there's nothing to do but play violently.

(Also, option 2 sounds like a tribute to 90's gaming and in particular 90s FPS games at its finest. The good olde days of just non-stop action with huge and often deadly surprises just waiting around the corner, or the very moment you pick up that key card.)

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I'm gonna go for the sidequests. It's very important to complete these as they come up since they usually unlock more options later on that can give me a bigger advantage in my quest. I'm just saying that the local innkeeper is more likely to give me a discount if I helped him in the past.

Back