• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Afterlife

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    A lot of people believe there is an "afterlife" when you die. Some believe you reincarnate, others believe you go to Heaven or Hell, etc. What do you think happens when you die?

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I'm not entirely sure, however I find it really hard to believe our existance just ends with death.

Digital Wings

Alert to sounds.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    I just spoke with a medium who claims that the people and pets that loved you, and died before you, come to get you when you die so you don't have to go alone. I thought that was really awesome!

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    No there is no afterlife. When you die that is the end. The neurons in your brain die and then you cannot think any more.

So you see there cannot be an afterlife.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    I'm christian so I solely believe that I am judged when i die.. and I go to heaven or hell. :/ (or purgatory, that's what they taught us..)
    ..really, what would be the point in life if there's no reward or consequence at the end? Well, I dunno. That's what I think.

Please don't even bother responding to my answer.

EDIT: ..it's wierd how certain people celebrate Christmas but don't believe what it's based on...

Paper Ghost

[torn to shreds]
    Years
    I think I believe in heaven and hell, which scares me at the same time (don't really know if I'm damned or not). I don't care if that makes me a "fool", though. >:/

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Although I would really like to believe that there is some sort of afterlife, my scientifically based thoughts keep telling me that there is nothing after death and that once our bodies cease to function that's it. I can't really bring myself to believe that there is anything more, however much I would like to. But we can never say for sure until it happens, unfortunately. I don't rule out any possibilities.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I'm christian so I solely believe that I am judged when i die.. and I go to heaven or hell. :/ (or purgatory, that's what they taught us..)
    ..really, what would be the point in life if there's no reward or consequence at the end? Well, I dunno. That's what I think.

Please don't even bother responding to my answer.

EDIT: ..it's wierd how certain people celebrate Christmas but don't believe what it's based on...

Because it's a Pagen Holiday. Jesus wasn't born until like April iirc if the story is to be followed. The Church just wanted to root out any other "lesser" religions so they started replacing their holidays.

But I do agree about the "whats the point in living" thing. Why even bother achieving anything now if it'll take you nowhere.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Well I don't know about infinite indulgence and enlightenment (Heaven), because that just seems to defeat the purpose of making humans live on Earth in the first place. However, I also don't believe in infinite punishment (Hell) either, because . . . really, what is there to punish and what result will come from it? I believe God would be a little more mature than to do that.

However, I do have theories of what Hell and Heaven could mean figuratively. "Heaven" could mean an infinite peace and rest and complete separation from the world. Indeed a silent death is pretty peaceful.

"Hell" could mean infinite guilt at the bad things you've done in life, although this, of course, would far decrease the list of "sins" that could affect people. Also, sociopaths and other people that simply feel no remorse would never feel this punishment.

Perhaps, at the end of their lives, people are reduced to a truly human and yet truly logical level. That way, people could still enjoy the fruits of Heaven without worrying about their family, or what course the world's going to take without them. And people in Hell could become understanding of why what they did was bad, and how they've negatively affected other people's lives.

But I think the Afterlife is an everlasting journey that never ends. Just because I feel like believing that. :D

Of course, there's also Jolene's pragmatic look on things--technically we can't think or dream after death in the body we're given.

However I think there's a more Magickal Quality to Life and People. Perhaps Love penetrates our physical Hearts and really moves on to appeal to our Inside Beings, which proves we really have Inside Beings to begin with. I think Love is a message from God that we exist separate from our blood-and-flesh vessels.

This talk about Death makes me sick, though.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I'd like to think Ineffable is right actually, that seems a lot nicer to think about than conventional heaven or hell.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't... know.

I know logically it doesn't reeeally make sense that there's anything after death. After all, the soul can't be scientifically proven and things like reincarnation are just as "provable". So to me, it doesn't make sense to place unconditional belief in it, but to think that there's nothing after death is, honestly, pretty depressing. D:

It actually scares me a little to imagine being on the brink of death and not knowing what's going to happen and then... nothing. Honestly, if I sit there and think about it too much, it makes me really, really, really wish I was religious so that whenever I go--be it peacefully or otherwise--if I think about my impending death, I can think about it without fear because I'd (probably) believe without a doubt that there's some sort of afterlife.

I guess "nothing" shouldn't really be scary. I mean, if that's all there is after you die, it's not like your consciousness would be around to lament over the nothingness, or even to acknowledge that there's nothing. So there's technically nothing to be afraid about, I guess, but it's still just creepy knowing that you really wouldn't even exist. Maybe that's the part that bothers me the most.

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
    i beleive in afterlife, a soul is released when death accures, then it travels around the world until it finds an empty shell.
    don't ask me i am way too tired to think.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'll find out when I get there, until then I don't care.

Edit reason (too long for given field):
    Came to remove the random guff i added to make the post seem more worthwhile, since posting just to state my apathy seemed rather pointless; in retrospect I might say it's not pointless, being contrary to the vast majority of persons who have some care to the matter whether or not they believe in it. So for the random guff, as it's not my sure opinion, why keep it there; turns out it's been partially quoted since but that's not the reason it's being deleted. Don't mind it.

Last edited:

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I think it's just people who can't accept death that make these things up to cope.
    Hm yes I think you are right.
    Well, that's a bit of a hasty judgment. O.o
    Personally, I'm very curious about death, in fact I'm actually very eager to find out what happens, or doesn't happen, at the end. Far from not accepting death--I'm pretty open to the idea of things just ceasing existence, but it's simply an interesting and enigmatic topic, considering it exists in a completely separate world from our own. Just the same as religion, and dreams. One could argue that actually people who believe in stone cold, dark unconscious and oblivion after death are the ones who can't accept that perhaps things can happen after you die. :D

(That pink text would have pretty sparkles all around it if I knew any CSS, so just imagine it being sparkly.)

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    No there is no afterlife. When you die that is the end. The neurons in your brain die and then you cannot think any more.

So you see there cannot be an afterlife.
    Could not agree more. You won the thread.

Because the 'Christmas' we celebrate was a holiday created to coincide with the pagan holiday which celebrated their right to banish the cold and the dark and to celebrate the coming good weather. The tradition of gift-giving was actually from the Roman holiday Saturnalia. Jesus wasn't even born until summer anyway.
    So you see even most of the Christians who celebrate christmas are covered by what you said.

The way I see it, this is the only life we've got so we may aswell enjoy it.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    Well, I believe in Heaven and Hell. But I just don't know what will happen once we die. Once we all die, we aren't going to know what it's like or if there is an afterlife until it actualy happens? Even then it's impossible to tell anyone because you're well... dead. xD; I bet it's just like being asleep. Only you don't wake up.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    We'll reborn in another world and it'll happen more six times to each of us, this life is just the beginning.
    Now seriously, who knows? Maybe it'll be like an eternal non-dreaming sleep.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I forgot to put my input in this:

I don't really know what happens, but it would be kind of scary to be on the brink of death and think "What is going to happen to me?"

My religion (Hindu) believes in reincarnation. Whatever you did, good or bad, will come back to you. If you called a lot of ants, then you will become an ant. If you were perfect for your whole life, you will become a human again.
    And so on and so on. I would like to believe this but I highly doubt anyone can become human again then, since everyone has committed an error, big or small.

Back