• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola: Multi-Island Theory

Princess Sapphire

Master Expert
Years
    • Age 37
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 17, 2023
    Hey, guys.

Normally, I would not post here, since I'm no that active, but I've been noticing something about Alola that got me thinking. The region as a whole might be based on Hawaii, but what if each individual island is based on other island countries???

We all know the island the game starts on is based on Oahu, which is in Hawaii, but what about the others? I've looked around a bit and have found that the island in the southwest, with the monolith alter, is a mirror flip of Australia. So that 's where Nekkoala could be found, since koalas are indigenous to Australia. The big island with the icecap mountain, I think, is based on the main island of Indonesia, but I'm not 100% certain, since there are many islands with that similar shape. As for the remaining island, I've been unable to find a match

What would you think? Could Alola be made up of other island countries? Or are all the islands based purely on the Hawaiian islands?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have had similar ideas, but I think it is almost 100% confirmed that all 4 islands and small islands are based on Hawaii.

If you compare each island to real world counterpart, every point of interest on each Alola island can be pointed out on the real world counterpart of said island. You can also make the slightest adjustments or rotate the Hawaiian Island to replicate the Alola Region.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It's possible. Sootopolis is based on a Greek city, plus Hoenn includes Okinawan islands despite those being farther away. So Pokémon has taken stuff from other parts of the world or Japan in the case of Okinawa, and mashed them together.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It is true that we still may have themes of a town to match other non Hawaiian Towns. I still believe that building we saw in the very first trailer, that had the water pokemon banners and fountain, is based on Raffels Hotel in Singapore. Just looks way to similar art wise to me.

Years
  • Personally, I don't see GameFreak drifting too far away from the Hawaiian theme. I imagine they will bring in aspects/inspirations from other 'islands' (such as maybe Australia or the other Polynesian islands) but not bringing other inspirations in that wouldn't make to much sense (such as a huge city, possibly taking inspiration from other costal cities such as LA or something like that).

Years
  • Like Josh said, I can't see the game going far from its Hawaiian focus. Given the fact we've had two new Pokemon based on Australian-native species (Nekkoala and Lunala) I could see influence from other islands as well, but on a smaller scale compared to the Hawaiian influences.

Years
  • I think it makes a lot of sense for the landscapes to be inspired by other islands in the Pacific like Australia, Indonesia, etc. You want a variety of areas to travel through. But overall the themes (whatever they might end up being) are probably going to be pretty consistent regardless of the island. They are all very clearly the shapes of the existing islands with only smaller changes probably for gameplay purposes.

Back