• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola... the new Unova?

Years
    I figured I'd post this theory since I am getting loads of B2/W2 vibes from Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon. As we know, Alola is based on Hawaii, which is a part of the US. What was the other region so far based on an American setting? It was Unova from the 5th Generation.

First, one connection is not just the fact both regions are based on an American setting, but with the fact Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are likely direct sequels to Sun & Moon, much like the case with the Unova games. I also notice similarities between Solgaleo and Lunala to Unova's legendary mascots Reshiram and Zekrom, in that one of the pair is light-coloured with blue eyes while the other is dark-coloured with red eyes. Both games also had a character of mystery that played a prominent role in the games - Lillie gave me a lot of vibes of N, in that they were both in possession of a legendary Pokemon.

So personally, do you think Alola and Unova have a connection in some way? And while I feel the games likely won't address it, would you want it to be referenced?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Another solid piece of evidence to this theory was that Colress appeared in Sun & Moon. He also happened to be a character who debuted in 5th Gen.

There were a lot of references to Kanto and Kanto characters even appeared in SM.

Within Unova itself, characters such as Cynthia are known to visit the region, Caitlin is part of the Elite Four, Sabrina took up work as an actress, and strong Trainers from all over the world gather in the PWT.

Unova is a region that's very interconnected with all others.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I mean I don't think we'll be hearing of or going to Unova in these games, but I do see the similarities in the way that the games are being displayed. I think it's more of a case of now that we're upto the 7th generation, there's bound to be some similarities and overlaps in terms of the way trends occur in games and it just so happens that gens V and VII are the two which have two (what appear to be) sequels that contain what look like fusions between the legendaries. You could argue that Hoenn and Sinnoh are connected that way as they're both regions based off Japan and they're both in generations that contain two games, a third game, and a remake.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    Well, the theory has its points (although I hate theories comparing this pokemon is this color and so is this one therefore connected) but I don't think Unova will play a great role. It's nice if it will be referenced in some way but I'm more of a Sinnoh guy.

Years
    I feel that like you guys, Unova will likely not get referenced in the games but it is still interesting with noticing all the unintentional shoutouts and similarities.

pkmin3033

I don't think it's quite as cut-and-dry as this, personally...I don't think USUM will be sequels in the same way B2W2 were to BW. The inclusion of Colress at random is pretty telling, and the spliced-up DigiPokemon mascots are strongly reminiscent of Black/White Kyurem, but...well, Game Freak strive to be as unpredictable as possible, and since Gen V no new titles have been the same as the ones that have come before them. When you consider that we haven't had DPPt remakes yet either, I think the connection to Unova is mostly circumstantial. There are a fair few similarities, but I wouldn't read too much into them unless USUM are sequels in the sense that B2W2 were.

Also worthy of note is that it was just one Pokemon - Kyurem - that got spliced in B2W2. USUM has two Pokemon spliced with the same Pokemon, rather than one Pokemon spliced with two different ones. I don't know if that's significant or not, but it makes things feel slightly different to me.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I doubt it. The only connection they really only share is an American (Hawaii and NYC respectively) basis. I see it as a wasted opportunity to introduce some Alolan-Unovan lore tbh.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Actually, I wonder if Colress' appearance in SM is more significant than initially thought...given his involvement with Team Plasma in B2W2 - and the obvious comparisons to be drawn - perhaps he's up to his old tricks again? Sure, he stated that he believed that the true power of Pokemon came from the bond with their trainers now...but the Aether Foundation is not regarded as inherently evil. Even if Lusamine is a psychopath. So it's not far-fetched for him to be working with them. It'd be interesting if was responsible for Battle Armour Solgaleo/Lunala.

Last edited:
    Years
    Actually, I wonder if Colress' appearance in SM is more significant than initially thought...given his involvement with Team Plasma in B2W2 - and the obvious comparisons to be drawn - perhaps he's up to his old tricks again? Sure, he stated that he believed that the true power of Pokemon came from the bond with their trainers now...but the Aether Foundation is not regarded as inherently evil. Even if Lusamine is a psychopath. So it's not far-fetched for him to be working with them. It'd be interesting if was responsible for Battle Armour Solgaleo/Lunala.

I personally do think Colress will have a more significant role, especially with my theory.

pkmin3033

I personally do think Colress will have a more significant role, especially with my theory.
    The thing is, are they going to want to draw attention to the similarities between B2W2 and USUM? Unless they plan on going full-blown sequel to B2W2 - and wouldn't THAT be interesting? - it could even be that Colress' appearance was just a hint to those similarities and he won't appear at all...maybe.

Years
    I know that past game references are unintentional at most, but remember Colress did appear in S/M and there wasn't much purpose for him being there. Plus, the new Ultra Solgaleo and Lunala do give off vibes of Black and White Kyurem.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2018
    bw 2 were my fav games of all times, if ultra sun and ultra moon will even get close to that i will be very happy.

Back