• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alolan Team Ideas!

GloomyFrost13

Commander of the Almighty Bergmite Army
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    So I really really like a lot of the new Alolan 'mons, and I'm super excited to battle with them... once I can actually get the items I need from the Battle Tree without being annihilated because of my untrained in-game team (seriously, anyone else finding the Battle Tree really hard?)
    So what I can't do in-game, I'll just do on paper then! Keep in mind this probably won't be my team; I just wanna figure out what each new 'mon's role could be. Here we go!

Salazzle @Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Ability: Corrosion
    EVs: 252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    - Fire Blast
    - Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Toxic

I'm pretty sure this one's meant to be a Sweeper, right?
    I know Corrosion's a bit of a wasted ability, but I figure it'd be pretty neat to be able to poison another Poison-type switching in to wall my Poison STAB.
    STABS are pretty cut 'n dry, and Dragon Pulse is literally Salazzle's only special coverage move.
    Now here's the dilemma - Toxic is there in case Salazzle scares anything out on the switch-in, maybe giving me an easy poison. BUT, it's pretty useless otherwise for a Pokèmon so frail and I'd have to switch out after cause of my Choice item.
    I've also seen a Life Orb Salazzle with Nasty Plot, but I can't see that lasting very long.

Lycanroc Midday @Choice Band/Life Orb
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    - Stone Edge
    - Accelerock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Fang/Stealth Rock

Physical sweeper/revenge killer,I guess?
    I like the idea of SR, but again my puppy is a bit squishy for it. What I really want is for it to revenge kill with Accelerock and then GTFO, or wreck house with its other moves. I don't get to play with fast Rock-types often!

So those are the only ones I've really though of yet. Others I like the look of are:
    - Kommo-o (Awesome base stats)
    - Wishiwashi (Awesome base stats in School Form)
    - Mudsdale (Great Attack and stacking Defense boosts - just train in HP/Sp.Def?)
    - Dhelmise (THREE STABS!)
    - Toxapex (Troll wall with Regenerator, or juggernaut with Merciless+Recover - I don't get why people think this ability is a waste. Not only does a crit mean a doubled offensive stat essentially, bumping Toxapex's over 100 on a crit, it also ignores stat changes!) In fact.....

Toxapex @Leftovers
    Nature: Whatever gives +Def/Sp.Def and -Sp.Atk
    Ability: Merciless
    EVs: 252 HP/100 Attack/76 Defense/76 Special Defense
    - Baneful Bunker/Protect
    - Recover
    - Toxic/Poison Jab
    - Toxic/Liquidation

This one is a really rough draft. I see Toxapex either being the new Ferrothorn with Regenerator, or my idea, a shorter-lived but harder-hitting juggernaut.
    My issue is that you NEED to poison your opponent for this idea to work, and while Baneful Bunker is cool, nobody's going to try a physical attack if they know you have it. So my set would likely be Protect, Toxic, Recover and one STAB. My only worry is Taunt.
    Again, auto-crits make up for my Crown 'o Thorns' piddly Attack, I reckon.

So, ideas for these three or any others I listed? Fire away!

Years
    I don't get why people think this ability is a waste. Not only does a crit mean a doubled offensive stat essentially, bumping Toxapex's over 100 on a crit, it also ignores stat changes!)

Crits only deal 1.5x damage not 2x. Combined with base 63/53 offenses which you won't be investing heavily into, and the setup required to use Merciless, you're doing pretty minuscule damage most of the time. Also not sure why you would be running Poison Jab over Venoshock.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Merciless seems tempting, but Toxapex's main niche is essentially a Tentacruel that never dies:
    -Scald
    -Haze
    -Toxic/Toxic Spikes/Sludge Bomb
    -Recover
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator

Dhelmise is a nice bulky Rapid Spinner; Kommo-o has access to a myriad of setup moves to make up for its above average offensive presence:

Dhelmise:
    -Power Whip
    -Shadow Claw/Earthquake
    -Gyro Ball
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/148 Atk/108 SDef
    Item: Assault Vest

or
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball
    -Earthquake
    -Shadow Claw/Rapid Spin/Switcheroo
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Claw/Earthquake
    -Power Whip
    -Anchor Shot
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Phantom Force
    -Anchor Shot
    -Toxic
    -Substitute/Protect
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/172 SDef/84 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Kommo-o:
    -Dragon Dance/Swords Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Sky Uppercut
    -Poison Jab/Earthquake
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
    -Clanging Scales
    -Focus Blast
    -Flamethrower
    -Flash Cannon
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs

or
    -Autotomize
    -Clanging Scales
    -Focus Blast
    -Flamethrower/Flash Cannon
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 72 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk/180 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Midday Lycanroc can act as a suicide lead with Stealth Rock:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt
    -Stone Edge
    -Accelerock
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Sand Rush

Wishiwashi may be broken in-game, but it needs plenty of support and/or RestTalk to stay in its school form. Mudsdale may have good stats, but its move pool is pretty shallow.

GloomyFrost13

Commander of the Almighty Bergmite Army
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Something else I realised:
    Golisopod's Emergency Exit would actually be incredible when coupled with all the priority moves it can learn; it'd be the ultimate bulky hit-and-runner:

Golisopod @Sitrus Berry(?) - Just to beef it up a bit again after E.E activates
    Ability: Emergency Exit
    EVs: 252 Attack/252 HP/4 Speed (just so Swords Dance goes before anything slower)
    - Aqua Jet
    - First Impression
    - Sucker Punch
    - Swords Dance
    Hit-and-Run, Pivot, Revenge Killer. This badass could potentially be all of them.
    The priority moves are self-explanatory: Golisopod's ability cripples it without them. Swords Dance is there in case I get an opening. Sitrus Berry is the held item so it can gain back a bit of bulk even when its ability sends it out; I considered Choice Band and Life Orb, but I don't like either of them.

This is the guy I'm gonna invest my Gold Bottle Cap in; I'm really excited about using him now!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Something else I realised:
    Golisopod's Emergency Exit would actually be incredible when coupled with all the priority moves it can learn; it'd be the ultimate bulky hit-and-runner:

Golisopod @Sitrus Berry(?) - Just to beef it up a bit again after E.E activates
    Ability: Emergency Exit
    EVs: 252 Attack/252 HP/4 Speed (just so Swords Dance goes before anything slower)
    - Aqua Jet
    - First Impression
    - Sucker Punch
    - Swords Dance
    Hit-and-Run, Pivot, Revenge Killer. This badass could potentially be all of them.
    The priority moves are self-explanatory: Golisopod's ability cripples it without them. Swords Dance is there in case I get an opening. Sitrus Berry is the held item so it can gain back a bit of bulk even when its ability sends it out; I considered Choice Band and Life Orb, but I don't like either of them.

This is the guy I'm gonna invest my Gold Bottle Cap in; I'm really excited about using him now!
    Emergency Exit activating at inopportune times makes setup moves a no-go on Golisopod, as switching out removes your stat boosts. The best set for Golisopod, IMO, is Assault Vest to make it even bulkier. It's still very strong:
    -First Impression
    -Liquidation
    -Leech Life
    -Aqua Jet/Sucker Punch
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest

Back