• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alternative to emulation...?

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
  • Last year, my friend Bradley was playing Final Fantasy 3 (DS version) on his ipad. I was like "oh cool you finally jailbroke it." But he said it wasn't jailbroken.

"So....how did you get an emulater on it?"

He said, "oh, I didn't. I just changed to file extension to the same type my ipad runs apps on and it works like an app now"

Well apparently he used an iso image mounting program, similar to daemon tools, which also can change the extension. He just saw the app extension and figured it was worth a shot.

I just want to know if this can work on other roms, (specifically pokemon), so I can play them. (right now I only have a galaxy tab and gameboy sp.)

So, will it?

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    Well FF3 is on app store....

Also try the gameboid android app,it might work.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Well FF3 is on app store....

Also try the gameboid android app,it might work.

GameBoid only plays GameBoy and GameBoy Color games.

And Lt. Col. Fantastic, if you want a DS emulator... there is TigerNDS, which is currently in beta. It has support for Android 2.3 (GingerBread) and higher. You can find it here. But just to note... it won't work with most games, and games like Super Mario 64 DS will function slowly without any sound.

I'm sure there'll be bound to be newer Nintendo DS emulators available, so keep an eye out on Google. ;)

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    GameBoid only plays GameBoy and GameBoy Color games.

And Lt. Col. Fantastic, if you want a DS emulator... there is TigerNDS, which is currently in beta. It has support for Android 2.3 (GingerBread) and higher. You can find it here. But just to note... it won't work with most games, and games like Super Mario 64 DS will function slowly without any sound.

I'm sure there'll be bound to be newer Nintendo DS emulators available, so keep an eye out on Google. ;)

But here it says it's also GB Advance games :/
    http://slideme.org/application/gameboid

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    One thing I'm curoius of... My sister has an R4 card for her DS. Upon linking it up with computer you just drags ROMs straight onto it like a memory stick and can play them on DS.

I'm sure this is possible with GBA games too AND if DS ROM hacking ever takes off (When all tools like map editors are created), will they be playable on an actual DS rather than computer?

I always put ROM hacks on my Jailbroken iDevices, it's so much better than sitting at a PC!

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • This is all very good information, but the point of this was to see if this is a viable way to emulate. It seems like it will work, but I don't have a computer so I can't really test it. The method is changing the extension on roms to run like an app. (so changing it to .apk or whatever extension apps run on)

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
    Years
  • I don't know much about emulation but just changing the file extension won't make it work, at least it shouldn't.

In theory it is possible, a few years ago someone made a program and successfully got a homebrew game to run on an unhacked PSP so I don't see why someone couldn't figure out how to run something like that on an unjailbroken iPad. So if someone can figure out the code apple uses to makes officially licensed apps run and then converts a rom with that code in the proper place it could work.

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    Does anyone here have knowledge of changing the file extensions?

It would be so much better being able to play Pokemon on my iPhone without having to jail break it. This would make a brilliant alternative to using a PC all the time, and I'd play so many more hacks on this site :)

Back