• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Am I the only one who can't enjoy the 1st and second generation games anymore ?

Are you still able to enjoy playing the older games even the graphics are not as good

• Yes the graphics do not bother me that much. I still enjoy playing the older games

Votes: 124 82.1%
  • No I am not able to enjoy playing the older games because of the graphics

Votes: 27 17.9%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Correction; The graphics are bad. In my opinion they're awful.
    But that's not always a problem when playing a game.
    How many have you seen that prefer Final Fantasy X to Final Fantasy VII? Not many I suppose, and Final Fantasy VII has poor graphics when compared to Final Fantasy X.
    If you don't like the graphics, you're a child. Grow up and appreciate a good game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    You clearly haven't read properly. I was saying that even though the graphics are bad I still enjoy the games. Just like FF7 with its bad graphics are considered much better than FF10 with its much greater graphics. It's just that graphics aren't always a decisive factor for when people play games, and if you don't play a game because you think its graphics hurt your eyes, that doesn't automatically say that you're a child. The graphics suck but the game is awesome anyways, that's my opinion.

My previous post on the same page:

You see?
    I meant "you" in a general way, referencing all those that do treat the games as such.

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    for me, it goes like this:
    i can't stand the first gen. nearly all the original 151 just bore me to peices and i just can't have fun playing them anymore.

the second gen is alright. the graphics improved, you could choose your gender [crystal], and you could travel to kanto aswell as johto. but most of the second gen pokemon don't thrill me that much anymore either.

the third generation, i didn't much care for in the beginning. i mean, the graphics were great and the new pokemon were pretty cool, but i just never really found it thrilling to play and idk why. :\

the fourth generation is my favourite, and quite honestly i can't see how so many people on this board don't like it. it has amazing graphics, [for the most part] all of the pokemon look great, there are so many new options for the game, and so much more!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Well it seems that you're only basing this off the graphics side of things. Sure, the old game's graphics were pretty bad. There's quite a jump between the quality of graphics in GSC and RSE, but you have to play games for the story and the quality of the adventure, not the graphics. You should also focus on the fun parts that make a generation what it is. For me, the motivation to play RBY would be to play with only the original 151 Pokemon, and exploit all those fun glitches. In the GSC gen, I loved all of the Pokemon they made, so I'm fine with that, and the story of that game was great and it was a neat little thing to do when you needed to pass the time. To be honest, I hate RSE because by then the games just got really bland and repetitive for me. That's why I'm really glad that HGSS is coming out soon.

Years
    I still love to go back to the first games because of the nostalgia. Going back to the basics and starting your adventure in Blue is just as fun as it was when I first played it when I was five.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
    I think the only thing that annoys me is the lack of running after playing GBA/DS games, which is what the bike is for. xDDD The graphics don't bother me at all. It's like going back to the basics. And... to be honest, I kind of make myself forget about the new Pokemon when I'm playing the older ones. I just block it out so I can get more enjoyment. :3

And I don't like most of the new Pokemon so yeah.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2010
    I can't play Gen 1 anymore. The graphics have not aged well but there are many small, inconvenient things that really annoy me, such as

When using an HM outside of battle, you have to go into the start menu and select the pokemon. You can't just click on the lake/ocean and have the "Surf here?" menu come up
    Pokemon storage boxes are a pain in the ass. Say you forgot which box you put your Geodude in, you have to check every box to find it.
    As well, it does not tell you when your box is full. Once I got up to Mewtwo, weakened him, put him to sleep, and when I tried to throw the Ultra ball, I get the message "you're pokebox is full". Arrrggghhhh....
    The bag was tiny. You could not carry many items.
    Under pokemon in the start menu, the small picture that showed what pokemon it was looked nothing like the actual pokemon.

I can still enjoy GSC far more since it fixed all these problems

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
    Years
    I still enjoy playing Gen I because a lot of my preferred Pokemon are from that generation. Same with Gen. II. I never got into Gen. III mostly because that was around the time I stopped playing Pokemon for whatever reason. I still got the games but I didn't play them obsessively as I used to. When I got back into it, Diamond/Pearl were about to come out. Now that I'm awaiting HG/SS, I've decided to go through and replay all of them that work (basically all of them except Silver which stopped working years ago). I've started on Red and it's very enjoyable.

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    No Pokemon game to date has been better than Gold/Silver/Crystal in my opinion.

For anyone who grew up in the RBY or GSC era, those game can never be topped.

marillmonster2000

PC's True Blue Marill
    Years
    And I personally wish they had stopped at 251. XD

Agreed. By The Time I Finally Got Around To Learning The AG Pokemon, Diamond And Pearl Had Come Out With However Many New Ones, And After That I Just Gave Up XD. The Graphics Don't Bother Me, I Grew Up Playing NES (which i still consider to be the greatest gaming system ever), In Fact I Think The RB Sprites Are Really Cool. It's Kind Of A Drag Training In RSBGSCRS After Getting Used To VS Seeker (or whatever the phone thing's called in emerald) Though.

as2

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    I just started playing Blue again, all I can say is that it's as awesome as I remember it ten years ago! :)

Years
    I just got my Gold fixed (I got it used and it wouldn't save, but we replaced the battery so I can FINALLY PLAY!) and the graphics are a little different, like the Pokemon and stuff but I don't really mind.
    Yellow was a shocker to me when I first played it a while ago (after I'd played Leaf Green) since there was so little color...but I got used to it.
    a Pokemon game is a Pokemon game to me :)

Years
    The only thing that irritates me about the older games, is the slow response times from the older hardware. It really slows things down. It's great to see the games in their raw, unrefined form. (RBY) They had no input from players and no past experiences to work from. The games were pure, and didn't try to please. In some ways, I think the extra types and over-complicating stuff ruined the game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2011
    the primitve graphic and lack of running annoy acually ever since d/p i have difficulty playing 3rd gen games

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    I have a hard time playing them ONLY because I can't stand to look at the graphics... I think it probably just comes from being used to seeing "amazing" or "colorful" graphics, as opposed to the pixel-y, few colored graphics that came with the 1st and 2nd generation.
    ...my two cents for the night. XD

Back