• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Am I the only one who can't enjoy the 1st and second generation games anymore ?

Are you still able to enjoy playing the older games even the graphics are not as good

• Yes the graphics do not bother me that much. I still enjoy playing the older games

Votes: 124 82.1%
  • No I am not able to enjoy playing the older games because of the graphics

Votes: 27 17.9%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2010
    Hi evryone this is my first post and thred guess i'm killing two birds with one stone lol.

But anyways back to the point of this thread

Recently I have realized something which is the fact that I can't seem to be able to enjoy playing the first two generations anymore.

Don't get me wrong I loved playing my Blue version and My Gold

but when I try play to them after playing my 3rd or 4th generation

the graphics just seem so boring and bland compared to the newer generations

So I guess my question is are you still able to enjoy play the older games even with the lesser graphics, and if you are still able to enjoy them enough to continue playing it, do the graphics hinder your enjoyment of the older games at all

*Nayz*

a.k.a L_Judah
    Years
    I find RBY to be a little annoying to play now, but I can still enjoy GSC (despite the extremely low levels). I'm actually not a huge fan of D/P but I'm looking forward to HG/SS.

Years
    Yeah, I don't really enjoy the 1st and 2nd generation games as much as I used too. It is certainly not the graphics though because I don't really care for them. It has to do with the features. I find R/B/Y very hard to enjoy now because there is so many flaws with it such as the crappy bag. You could only have 20 items in it and there were no pockets in it so you would run out of space quick. Even the PC storage isn't much help either.

Speaking of PC storage, storing and withdrawing Pokemon was an extreme pain. You couldn't even move Pokemon from one box to the other without having to make room for it in your party and then open another box to deposit it. What a nightmare that was.

Gold/Silver/Crystal sure did fix though flaws though but after Heart Gold and Soul Silver are released, I doubt I would enjoy the older versions that much even though I used to play them a lot. When I feel like playing through the original storyline again, I usually choose Fire Red and Leaf Green over the old versions because of feature wise.

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    I can't enjoy GSC 'cause I can't save. I cannot really tell you there. I'd probably enjoy one run. RBYFRLGRSE are all ruined since the Pokéradar. If I already have a shiny of something, what fun is it to raise another one, un EV'd, in Ruby? Until the pkradar, I could play RSE endlessly, but now...
    First gen is even worse off. I don't like not knowing when my shinies are there--you'd have to transfer everything to GSC.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
    Well, I can still enjoy playing Crystal. I just like the game, and I haven't grown tired of it yet. However, the generation 1 games are starting to bore me. The sprites are just so damn ugly, imo.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    They're my fave games of the series and I still play and enjoy them regularly to this day. The graphics are iffy (in RBY anyway), but that doesn't bother me, and it's not like i'm using the same team every time I play so I don't get bored.

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
    i can't play them.....the graphics are......kinda bad. but i can play g/s/c. i sometimes replay my yellow, but after a while i say:you know what........i don't feel like playing anymore......they are still good games though

Kumata

Webcomic artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    I can tolerate G/S/C. Hoever, R/B/Y is just too terrible for me to handle (especially since the remakes are physically availalble for me to play instead).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I first noticed this feeling while playing Halo a week or two ago; all older games just don't satisfy like they used to.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I actually like playing R/B/Y and G/S/C more than the gen 3 and 4 games. In fact, I'm playing through Blue again right now. x3

Game graphics never really bother me though. A lot of the time, I'd rather play SNES than a lot of newer systems.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    I can play RBY and GSC over and over again, yet I can't bring myself to finish RSE. I haven't bothered messing with FR/LG or DPP, because I'm sure I couldn't finish them either.

They just seem to lack the charm of the older games.

Years
    I would still play GSC so much more if I could find my G2 games...I personally don't think the graphics are all that bad compared to RSE. 1st Gen isn't nearly up to the same standards graphically but I still enjoy it, although probably not as much as I used to. The PC thing was a pain, though, I have to admit that.

Sapphir

Hat thief
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2009
    The graphics don't bother me, and don't make me enjoy the game any less. Graphics don't usually annoy me in any game unless it affects the the game play. Such as glitches, like becoming stuck in a wall and having to restart.

However, some of the original generation one and two glitches and mechanics can become annoying at times. The bag is an example of something that really bothers me while playing through earlier generations. I'm happy the bag can now hold a limitless amount of items. Since I'm used to carrying everything it makes the original 20 item limit even more annoying.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2009
    Yeah, I can't play the old games anymore either. They just don't look or sound right at all. Of course though I have to suffer through them just to breed/train certain Pokemon before Pal Parking them, but otherwise, I do not touch them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2009
    Wow I'm certainly going to come off as the odd pickle but I actually prefer the first generation Pokémon games. I guess it comes with the age factor or simply because I can appreciate the odd classic.

It's just like any first generation game of that particular series. For example many avid gamers prefer FFVII, KHI or TLOZ:OOT over their successor. Just because the first generation games don't hold up against the latest generation in terms of graphics or duration doesn't make it any less dull. Appreciate the history, originality or how it is the building blocks to today's generation.

Retro video games are fun, especially if you have not played them in years. I recently got out my old SNES and played a few of the classics, I haven't had that much fun in weeks. Say what you will, but imo not many games beat their predecessors.

Back