• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An accident I paid a high price for...

eX.A.K.R.

Slow Periods.
Years
  • manectric_chief said:
    here's the result of operation: be proud of Pokemon: moderate, some people acted like before, some laughed, some parodyzed me, and some got out of the way..is that good or bad?
    Exactly how many people laughed at you and exactly how many people got out of their way or acted like before?

Those people who are acting like before may probably be laughing at you inside (or maybe not), but at least they have enough respect for you and your passion of Pok?mon to not laugh directly at you for that. And as for those who are not, they may also be harbouring a secret love for Pok?mon. Who knows?

manectric_chief

YO SOY PAMELA ELE!! O.O!
    Years
  • eX.A.K.R. said:
    Exactly how many people laughed at you and exactly how many people got out of their way or acted like before?

Those people who are acting like before may probably be laughing at you inside (or maybe not), but at least they have enough respect for you and your passion of Pok?mon to not laugh directly at you for that. And as for those who are not, they may also be harbouring a secret love for Pok?mon. Who knows?
    maybe...I thought I saw someone log in here a few weeks ago, but I wasn't sure, well, I'm definitely not turning back to hide

Nintendo freak

Pineapples!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 26, 2008
    (First of all, I don't mean to offend anyone by this. It's just how I am.)

I could really care less about people finding out that I like Pokemon. I used to keep it hidden, but now that I'm a bigger fan than ever before, I don't care what others say about it. I even used pokemon-patterned fabric for a pillow we're making in Consumer Science!

(Once again, I don't mean to offend anyone by this. It's just how I am.)

serpenter

Eternal Inferno
    Years
  • this couldent happen to me, cus most ppl know i liek pokemon,
    if you like summat you like it, an dont let know one tell ya otherwise

Years
  • I guess it's a little too late for prevention but... you put your presentation with your Poke collection :surprised

My suggestion to you is to just laugh it off because there is no sense denying it at this point. A "how did THAT get there" probably won't work... but, I don't know how long USB keys/cards have been out; you could just say that you have a lot of really old stuff on there and you don't like it as much as you used to (even if it's not true). If people still have a problem with it, just say "who cares". It's not like you are less of a person because of it. You'll truely know who your friends are at this point I'd say. But the key is not to act embarrassed even if you are embarrased as hell... take it lightly and... laugh!

EVERYONE has their own guilty pleasures and if someone claims that they don't, they are probably lying :P. Ya just hope that stuff doesn't leak out. Just keep thinking that... it could have been worse. It could have been some other collection...

If you're thinking that it's easy for me to say, take this. I'm 19 now, but when I was in grade 9, I wore a Pokemon shirt to school once. And not just any Pokemon shirt... it was blue and orange and stuck out like you wouldn't believe! I dunno what I was on that morning that made me grab that shirt, I just usually wore it at home back then. But realizing it was too late once I got there, I knew I was in for a tough day. So whenever I'd hear "Haha, you like Pokemon" I would sarcastically reply "YA! That's right! POKEMON YEA!" and then laugh like an idiot like I was making a big joke. Normally I would have just froze and went as red as a tomato. I could have easily had my jacket on all day or switched to my gym shirt for the rest of the day, but that would have shown that I was hiding something and showing embarassment, so I toughed it out the whole day. Needless to say I never wore that shirt in public again. Things died down after about a week and things were back to normal again. That was Junior High for me, maybe High School would be a lot less forgiving. Yup, I'm surprised with how much crap I put up with through grade school, kids can be so cruel! But we all have faced it and we all survived it!

So whenever I have to do a presentation in college with my laptop, I go through everything making sure there can be no slip ups! Wallpaper changes, zipping, encryption, hidden files, I lock everything down, do what I have to do, and return everything to normal again.

Anyways, good luck to ya man! Tell us how everything goes!

Years
  • Pok?mon T-shirt, eh? Tch, I wore one in tha 10th grade. Oo;

Indeed, we all have our own pleasures... tch, an' mine for examle are very well archived in a 3d party underused format with an encryption and an extension change in some user-forsaken folder, tch, so I guess I'm safe. ^^;;

Tha main thing is ta not let 'em see ya bleed, tch, or else they'll pick on ya. Just be honest an' don't hold back. Sure, yar popularity may decrease, tch, but it ain't worth bein' popular through morons like them anyways. XP

FireEmporer

I win. You lose.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 3, 2006
    Why does it really matter if people People know? I woulda went "Yeah! I like pokemon! AND I SLEEP WITH A TEDDY BEAR TOO! (Really, I don't.)" You gotta laugh with them, that way, they can't laugh at you.

WhereAmI

Beginning Hacker
    Years
  • I am probally the same age as you, so I can imagine what you mean. I hide my obsession from my family even. Plus I don't have the pokemon files on the flash card readily seen like that.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • I hide my ossenion at school. The only time people can see me invole in pokemon is at away games and trips for school. I be playing my pokemon games and some people can see if they look over my sholder. They asked and I said "Yes, I am a pokefan and a proud one."

Not many know that I a pokefan I well that ok with me. IF people make fun of me because of that then. Like I said, "Bad fame is better then no fame."

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
  • Something like that happened to me once. I draw alot & do art on my computer so one day I decided to make my own TCG similar to the Pokemon one cos thats where I got my inspiration for it. I made a set of 10 test cards & brought them in into school to show to my friends, but one of my least liked people got hold of them & started shoving them in front of everyones faces thinking the were pokemon, & shouting it out to the class. Even when he found they weren't everyone still made fun of me.

One Idea for the future might be to if you have windows XP create separate users with different setting, one for things like Pokemon & one for other things. Then you could put a password on the pokemon user so no-one could access it.

Years
  • Cybex Mewtwo said:
    and I still wig out if I get a Charizard in a booster pack!
    same here XD
    just tell them "If you ask me why I like pokemon I'll ask you (insert whatever he/she likes here)"

that usually works

Psyduck

Buy Pokemon Stuff on Ebay
    Years
  • You should of folllowed my advice and kept the laptop out of the class for a while. Anyway, like other people have said, its too late to deny any of it. If you have the guts, you could play the crazy pokefanitic. Yell, to everyone you love pokemon. Seem very essentric. They will think you are just crazy. When they make fun, laugh and act crazy. They will get over it, thinking you are funny, almost class clownish. This only works if you are brave enough to follow threw. I doubt I would be brave enough. But as you described your situation, I visualized myself in your class and standing up to support you and saying I like pokemon too. Strength in numbers. Maybe, there is another hidden pokemon fanitic in your class, they just need more support before coming out of the closet.

I have thought about declaring my pokemon obsession to some people, but then I change my mind. I have given some people hits, so that if they figure it out, I will have to admit to it. One such clue was the number 54. I told someone that the number was significent in my life, a secret. Has anyone given hints?

Kurono

Remember?
    Years
  • XD Yeah earlier this week, we had our computer class right...and it was getting boring...so I went to PC(PokeCommunity Duh..XD) and then the cheap old computer froze on me...so I couldn't close it....not very long from that the teacher came along...and of course I was told to reveal the reason as to why I was at a Pokemon site...of course I had to tell him...and then...well....things happened....and I just sat there...head facing the ground...quietly laughing at myself..xD

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • CharMz said:
    XD Yeah earlier this week, we had our computer class right...and it was getting boring...so I went to PC(PokeCommunity Duh..XD) and then the cheap old computer froze on me...so I couldn't close it....not very long from that the teacher came along...and of course I was told to reveal the reason as to why I was at a Pokemon site...of course I had to tell him...and then...well....things happened....and I just sat there...head facing the ground...quietly laughing at myself..xD
    Most school computers are cheap... :D

If I were you I'd say that I clicked something wrong.

Rhykasho

CRY SOME MORE!
    Years
  • manectric_chief said:
    sorry for my absence, traveling...anyway, the plan's not going so good, but I'm looking forward to my sucess, I'm not going back to hiding or embarassment

That be the way to do it :D
    I remember when I told everyone in my IT class that I liked pokemon, they laughed at me and did all the usual rubbish, though people allready laughed at me alot cause of the way I act during school hours (random of course......wait, I always act like that :\), at the end of the day, they are the ones who should get a life (or in my case me O.o)
    Anyway, good luck-ness ;)

Back