• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An idea for pokemon games

aspie3000

Unova Champion
Years
  • It's an idea that I am surprised doesn't get brought up more often. They should take the concept of pokemon put it in our world, and have fiercer, cooler, more hardcore monsters. I'm talking about a game that ditches the cutesy pikachus and jigglypuffs, and ditches the campy emboars, and snorlaxes and has better scary looking monsters. If the monsters are cool looking and fierce and well done and the game geared more for adults, and if the game is put on a console like the wii or on the pc the kids can have the jigglypuffs and adults could have the fiercer looking monsters. I'm not saying that the Jigglypuffs are a bad thing but I think that if they made this game It could be awesome and broaden the audience.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    There's nowhere near the same money to be made in that audience - if you can even realistically define an 'adults' Pokémon - so it's very unlikely they'd consider that approach. Especially because you run the risk of a backlash from the existing crowd of mature adults who enjoy Pokémon games.

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Don't they already broaden the audience enough with the already fierce pokemon in place? And this "scary" pokemon is always going to be subjective to peoples opinions what I might find scary or intimidating somebody else wouldn't bat and eyelash against it. I think if they did a "hard core game" it would probably alienate the existing fans more then drawing in a larger fanbase. I personally don't see the need to make their designs overly fierce, the game needs a mix of fierce, cute, neither or whatever categories you wish to define. I don't see them making to different types of games, one for kids and one for adults. Seems like to much work on their part, and probably to much money to produce two different types of games geared toward two different age groups. It's rated E for Everyone and I think everyone can enjoy how it currently is.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    It would no longer be "Pokemon" if this kind of thing happened. It's not even as if the audience needs any kind of broadening really, it's already pretty huge with both kids and teenagers/adults alike.

It's an interesting idea, but I feel Pokemon as a whole would lose its personality in such a thing.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • They would still be making money from the younger audience and would still be producing games for younger children, but at the same time they would be making the line of games that I am talking about thus having two audiences and making the same amount of money from younger kids from their games and making money from older audiences from their games thus making more money. And yes I can realistically define an adult pokemon by it's concept which is traveling the world capturing Monsters and using them to fight for sport only instead of a fat happy dragonite like in the kiddy games you using a fierce dragon straight out of the dark ages.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • It would no longer be "Pokemon" if this kind of thing happened. It's not even as if the audience needs any kind of broadening really, it's already pretty huge with both kids and teenagers/adults alike.

It's an interesting idea, but I feel Pokemon as a whole would lose its personality in such a thing.

But that's the point, to give it a whole new personality. It's the same concept (capturing monsters to use for sport, typings, attacks, evolutions) but a whole new game, what I don't think people understand is that I'm not saying to stop making the old style of game, but instead make a whole different title. It would be nothing for gamefreak and nintendo to make these games, they already have like four different titles per generation and two different versions for each title. They don't even have to call this title Pokemon, but use the entire concept of pokemon in a more (whats the word?) gritty, grisly setting.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They would still be making money from the younger audience and would still be producing games for younger children, but at the same time they would be making the line of games that I am talking about thus having two audiences and making the same amount of money from younger kids from their games and making money from older audiences from their games thus making more money.

This isn't how game development works.

Game Freak can only make one game at a time, they're a relatively small development studio. If Nintendo wants to release this new, "dark" game at the same time as a conventional Pokémon game, who can they get with the skills to develop another one?

The closest people you can probably find are Genius Sonority, but their work on Pokémon Colosseum and XD never involved Pokémon design. They created the world of Orre and its characters, and transitioned the Pokémon gameplay to a conventional Gamecube RPG, but the battle system and all the Pokémon design was originally Game Freak's work on Ruby/Sapphire.

If Nintendo gets Game Freak to make the new 'mature' Pokémon, how can they be sure they have another team who can produce the regular Pokémon to the same level of quality that Game Freak has so far? And if they get some other team to make this new game, can you ensure that they'll be able to produce a big game like this (It would involve a great deal more design than just building off the foundations of the previous Pokémon games each time) to a sufficient level of quality? Not to mention at the stage where you're getting another developer to create such a different kind of game, you start to lose what can be called "Pokémon"

You're asking Nintendo to throw a lot of money at an idea that can come back with a much worse return than Pokémon gets right now.

And yes I can realistically define an adult pokemon by it's concept which is traveling the world capturing Monsters and using them to fight for sport only instead of a fat happy dragonite like in the kiddy games you using a fierce dragon straight out of the dark ages.

So "big, angry and scary = for adults", then.

That's an incredibly narrow-minded and subjective view, and is exactly why this kind of thing would have a problem being successful.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • The point is not "for adults" the point is having cool looking monsters, and yes more adult males are going to want to see the violator from spawn than jigglypuff that's how things work The 100 Mega Shock. And yes darker things are usually more adult.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • If the point is having cool looking monsters then why are you advocating for two different types of games? Can we not have "cool" looking pokemon in the current game? I still don't see the need for two games, when we have a perfectly fine game that is for all ages and we have plenty of "cool" looking pokemon.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • Whats the coolest looking pokemon in current generation? Hydreigen? Even that doesn't make the cut in the kind of game I'm talking about and yes maybe my game would be rated T because of a number of things but the point would be to have a whole game full of awesome looking monsters. There is an untapped audience out there and really I did expect this kind of response. The reason that the people on this site so far wouldn't like this game is because they are purists. That isn't a bad thing but it also limits creativity. Purists hate change but change isn't always a bad thing look at ultimate Marvel. The reason we would have two games is also because I would want a deeper more mature storyline to go along with the monsters so yes I change my position on what I said so there would be two points 1. A T rated game 2. Awesome looking monsters. Another reason that it would be a separate game is because I probably wouldn't even call it pokemon but use it's type, battle, evolution, stat, and item holding system ect.

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • They should take the concept of pokemon put it in our world, and have fiercer, cooler, more hardcore monsters. If the monsters are cool looking and fierce and well done and the game geared more for adults, and if the game is put on a console like the wii or on the pc the kids can have the jigglypuffs and adults could have the fiercer looking monsters. .

what you think is "cooler" and more "hardcore monsters" can be the complete opposite to someone else. I think that the monster look pretty badass if you ask me.

I think that the games are perfectly find the way they are. if they were to do what you mention, I think that the Pokemon company would mess up because they have been making the "cute Jigglypuff" and other Pokemon like that for years. It will also ruin the name of Pokemon for most people as well.

:t354:TG

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • As said, what you think is cool or adult or whatnot may be different for other people - it's a very subjective thing. That and all the stuff Megashock said with developers, the risk (because why change something that isn't broken, or in this case, something that millions of people buy already and hence something millions of people already like the look of as opposed to something you alone would prefer the look of) from Game Freak/Nintendo's point of view, and various other issues... I can't say I'd see this happening personally.

At any rate if you're having a game that only 'adults' would like (assuming they have the same taste as you which is a pretty big if - as mentioned previously many adults like Pokemon as they are now anyway!) it'd be a much smaller audience compared to the current one in all likelihood overall given how many kids play it no. If an adult doesn't like it now it would not be easy to shake off their conceptions about a product usually. That means less likely potential profit and hence less reason for Nintendo to get someone to do this.
    If the monsters are cool looking and fierce and well done and the game geared more for adults, and if the game is put on a console like the wii or on the pc
    Wii is being phased out next year, and Nintendo don't do much on the PC at all... so why would it be on that?

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • Again I'm not changing the product but making a seperate game with fiercer monsters and using the pokemon mechanics, types, ect. And I don't really buy into the whole "your tastes are different than others" arguement, you ask 99% of adult males which is cooler the violater from Spawn or the powerpuff girls they're gonna go for the violater. I don't even wan't the game to have pokemon in the name but the concept would stay the same you capture monsters and battle them for sport. I think that most of you are misunderstanding what I'm saying (which is strange because it's not that hard to figure out). And notice I said a console "Like" wii meaning a big nintendo console.

ツールです

Cause we're all tools
    Years
  • I think that most of you are misunderstanding what I'm saying (which is strange because it's not that hard to figure out). And notice I said a console "Like" wii meaning a big nintendo console.

Au contraire,what you are not understanding is that

1)Nintendo will never release two games(at the same time) without the same story/with a different rating the other
    2)It was said by an official of |Gf or Big N(can't remember) that mainstream pokemon will ALWAYS be for handhelds and not consoles

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • And I don't really buy into the whole "your tastes are different than others" arguement, you ask 99% of adult males which is cooler the violater from Spawn or the powerpuff girls they're gonna go for the violater.
    More 'violence' =/= a better game, mind, which is a risky assumption to make in itself. (Case in point, look at that Shadow the Hedgehog game who is so much more 'adult' because he rides a motorcycle and has a gun! Or Unleashed with Sonic being a hip and current werewolfhog!.... only those games are commonly regarded as worse than their predecessors in general). And again, many people who think Pokemon is stupid is unlikely to have change their opinion just because they look a bit different and why risk hurting the market they already have a firm grip on... well tbh I'd just be repeating myself and others by going on with points you have seemingly ignored by repeating 'but adults will think it'd be cool!', sorry. =/
    I don't even wan't the game to have pokemon in the name but the concept would stay the same you capture monsters and battle them for sport.
    So... why not go for a different franchise then? Why would it have to be Pokemon that needs to be 'darker and edgier'? It's not like Pokemon is the only game out there where you catch creatures and use them to fight others after all. What you seem to want just doesn't really fit how Pokemon games have been done thus far and is unlikely to ever happen with Pokemon games in the future either, for reasons already stated after all.

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Again I'm not changing the product but making a seperate game with fiercer monsters and using the pokemon mechanics, types, ect. And I don't really buy into the whole "your tastes are different than others" arguement, you ask 99% of adult males which is cooler the violater from Spawn or the powerpuff girls they're gonna go for the violater. I don't even wan't the game to have pokemon in the name but the concept would stay the same you capture monsters and battle them for sport. I think that most of you are misunderstanding what I'm saying (which is strange because it's not that hard to figure out). And notice I said a console "Like" wii meaning a big nintendo console.

See, you still can't be totally narrowminded like that. My good friend is a nuclear engineer. His entire firm plays pokemon. They all trade pokemon. A lot of them like "lame" pokemon. According to the pokemon-gl site, more males play pokemon. And I, personally, like variety in my pokemon - some can be cool, cute, tough looking, whatever.

There are similar games to pokemon, there have been for a long time. If they want "cool" pokemon, and are interested in this type of game, they'd have played those. If they're not interested in this type of game and not interested in the designs, chances are they would never touch a game like this anyway.

I remember seeing the argument on another site, "pokemon should have guns and or blood in it to make it both more realistic and appeal to mature/masculine audiences." It's just not necessary, especially when the current formula works as is.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • More 'violence' =/= a better game, mind, which is a risky assumption to make in itself. (Case in point, look at that Shadow the Hedgehog game who is so much more 'adult' because he rides a motorcycle and has a gun! Or Unleashed with Sonic being a hip and current werewolfhog!.... only those games are commonly regarded as worse than their predecessors in general). And again, many people who think Pokemon is stupid is unlikely to have change their opinion just because they look a bit different and why risk hurting the market they already have a firm grip on... well tbh I'd just be repeating myself and others by going on with points you have seemingly ignored by repeating 'but adults will think it'd be cool!', sorry. =/
    So... why not go for a different franchise then? Why would it have to be Pokemon that needs to be 'darker and edgier'? It's not like Pokemon is the only game out there where you catch creatures and use them to fight others after all. What you seem to want just doesn't really fit how Pokemon games have been done thus far and is unlikely to ever happen with Pokemon games in the future either, for reasons already stated after all.

I said violator not violence, the violator is spawn's archenemy and a perfect example of the kind of monster I'm talking about.. And if it was a different franchise than it would be sued by those who work on pokemon for taking types, evolution, pokeballs, the elite four, and the whole pokemon style. And by the way, I never said that it was likely to happen, or that it fits how pokemon games were done so far, In fact fact the whole point is that it doesn't fit how pokemon games are done so far, that's why I said "Idea" for a pokemon game. "And frisky Arcanine I have never said that the current pokemon are lame, I like them alot, but I would like to see a game with a more bad@$$ style of monster. Again the reason all of you are against this is because you are purists who can't even fathom any thing different than the current status. That isn't meant to be an insult it's just the truth. Also Bobandbill I haven't ignored any point whatsoever.

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    I said violator not violence, the violator is spawn's archenemy and a perfect example of the kind of monster I'm talking about.. And if it was a different franchise than it would be sued by those who work on pokemon for taking types, evolution, pokeballs, the elite four, and the whole pokemon style. And by the way, I never said that it was likely to happen, or that it fits how pokemon games were done so far, In fact fact the whole point is that it doesn't fit how pokemon games are done so far, that's why I said "Idea" for a pokemon game. "And frisky Arcanine I have never said that the current pokemon are lame, I like them alot, but I would like to see a game with a more bad@$$ style of monster. Again the reason all of you are against this is because you are purists who can't even fathom any thing different than the current status. That isn't meant to be an insult it's just the truth.

I never said you considered them lame, and now you're taking the assumption that people disagreeing with you are purists. All that anyone has honestly been telling you is different strokes for different folks, and that you can't be too narrowminded on peoples' tastes; if the balance pokemon has been running works so well, they change just to "reach further to this audience," because trying to appeal to everyone typically doesn't work.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • No it is true that there are different tastes for people but that only goes so far. How many males are into barbie? And yes I think that the people on this site are purists. "What you seem to want just doesn't really fit how Pokemon games have been done thus far" That is a quote from an opponent that no one seems to disagree with. Look I'm not the shortsighted one, I don't believe that the concept of pokemon is only for kids, I have the gaul to actually believe that the pokemon concept could be tried in a different style and still succeed. And i'm not changing anything just releasing a different style of game with the same mechanics.

Back