• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An observation on Pokemon yet to be addressed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    I'm going to be writing an Essay on this but I wanted to get a new perspective first.

When I saw Pokemon 8, or was it 9-13? The narrators been harping in some pretty deep stuff, all the while a tree of life flashing on screen for a few moments.

Me being an advocate for evolution, as opposed to creationism, I laughed, because I know that Pokemon evolution hardly counts, nor can really be compared to what we see in real life.

When Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron went on national television to prove the existance of their God scientifically, without the use of the Bible, (Bare with me, I'm not dissing Religion, just these bozos.) They didn't present any evidence, rather they critisized Evolution as if that would somehow discredit it and their faith would be absolutly true on default, (which isn't how science works.)

I bring this up because of the way that Kirk Cameron describes Evolution: Being that all through the fossil record or real life you never see one animal turn into a Different kind of animal. (which is a true statement because any thing that ever evolved is still whatever it's ancestors were too.)

But in another documentery they made these arbritary distinctions between Micro and Macro Evolution, therein that animals can only change within their own kinds, like the various breeds of cattle, dogs, cats and horses, but they can't speciate.

Getting back into Pokemon in lieu of the new game I've been thinking about all this and I realized that that statement on microevolution is all Pokemon ever is. Because there's no indication that anything is related to anything else and there aren't any plain old animals in the Pokemon world either, that would potentially be a link to the humans in that world.

I know this is over analyzing, but someone's gotta do it!

So now we have Palkia, Dialga, Giratina and Arceus.

And what did Arceus do? He created the world and everything in it.

So I guess I'm commenting on the double standards. While the movies are clearly trying to highlight evolution in a positive manner, they controdict themselves by saying Arceus is equal in power to God from the abrahamic religions.

Trippy, isn't it?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Pokemon don't evolve... they undergo a metamorphosis. They call it 'evolution' for sake of convenience, and because younger players probably wouldn't be able to read 'metamorphosis'. :\

And there is no indication that the myths in the Pokemon games are any truer than the real-life Bible myths. Just because it is written in a book within a game doesn't mean it is fact in the game's universe.

Years
    I think you're over-analyzing things and looking for some "statement" that they're trying to make, when in reality, it's just a game, and they're just cute little creatures that Satoshi Tajiri thought up while playing with bugs as a child. Actually, the fact that the entire pokemon franchise is based on bug collecting supports the "evolution" = "metamorphosis" argument.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Great job on the analysis! Although, it is looked into a bit too deep if you ask me. Like Yuoman said above, Pokemon undergo a process more similar to metamorphosis rather than evolution. If it was real evolution then Pokemon would evolve based on their age, not level (and in the animé, experience.)

I also think that Arceus is seen as the god of all Pokemon more because of it's experience. I mean, it helped create the whole Pokemon world which, personally, would strike me as being more godlike than being the highest level catchable Pokemon or being able to transform into any type. Don't get me wrong, they're great abilities, they're just not great as, well, creating a whole world.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    I'm well aware of the process of how Pokemon metamorphosis but that isn't my point.

The descriptions that creationists attribute to Darwinian evolution corresponds with the world of pokemon because every pokemon line is relativly unique with no obvious link between them. Even between rodent pokemon like Pikachu and Ratata.

(Obviously the answer for pokemon is magic, which is also true for aplogetics.)

I would say that if the vision of Ray Comfort were true, Our world would more resemble the world of pokemon due to the fact that it kind of fits their argument.

I'm not saying it's bad, or that the show or game is wrong because I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it. I guess my argument is more in defense of Evolution and using Pokemon as a model to illustrate their argument.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    When Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron went on national television to prove the existance of their God scientifically, without the use of the Bible, (Bare with me, I'm not dissing Religion, just these bozos.) They didn't present any evidence, rather they critisized Evolution as if that would somehow discredit it and their faith would be absolutly true on default, (which isn't how science works.)
    I really don't like it when people who do that. Though, in a different context, I do think that "the opposition", as it were, has to be laid bare as well. Not the point, but yeah.

So I guess I'm commenting on the double standards. While the movies are clearly trying to highlight evolution in a positive manner, they controdict themselves by saying Arceus is equal in power to God from the abrahamic religions.

Trippy, isn't it?

Where did they say Arceus was omnipotent? Created the universe, great. Sleeps in a self-generated galaxy, sure. Blocks meteors for the lulz, why not?
    But it never said Arky was all powerful (which is stated in the Bible as part of the nature of God). Hence the Pika-bolts causing damage. I think this is kind of deep-end as far the comparison goes. But, the concepts of a being causing existence and that which already lives changing are not mutually exclusive. I personally think the idea of macroevolution is quite flawed. This was just a possibility that you didn't seem to consider.

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
    I'm well aware of the process of how Pokemon metamorphosis but that isn't my point.

The descriptions that creationists attribute to Darwinian evolution corresponds with the world of pokemon because every pokemon line is relativly unique with no obvious link between them. Even between rodent pokemon like Pikachu and Ratata.

(Obviously the answer for pokemon is magic, which is also true for aplogetics.)

I would say that if the vision of Ray Comfort were true, Our world would more resemble the world of pokemon due to the fact that it kind of fits their argument.

I'm not saying it's bad, or that the show or game is wrong because I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it. I guess my argument is more in defense of Evolution and using Pokemon as a model to illustrate their argument.

No, Pokemon is not magic. It was just some TV show which fantasized/created by Satoshi Tajiri beside, it was anime and mostly anime doesn't conduct any logical explain. Like Bleach, the protagonist Kurosaki Ichigo has been involved in some soul killing his mother and became one of the member of the Soul Society while he's still alive. Naruto, a ninja that based of element while being possessed by a nine-tails which is a truly Myth. One Piece, whereby the protagonist ate a Devil Fruit and gain the power of rubber which made his body cell,bone and skin to be a rubber.

As conclusion, all these are just anime-based story and we wont take so serious to watch the anime that we like. As for the evolution, it be some benefit explain whereby Yuoaman told that is was a metamorphosis and being a unique feature to the game/show. If every anime show are based on real life activities, what's the different between a real life show and a anime? I'm not arguing that your was wrong but I just conclude that most anime doesn't based on logical explain.

P.S : The things I wrote above was not a critics to any of those anime I stated. It was just for explanation.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    I personally think the idea of macroevolution is quite flawed. This was just a possibility that you didn't seem to consider.

It is flawed, because it's virtually meaningless. The distinctions were made up terms in an effort to move the goal post and discredit the theory.

But then you really need to know what it means too.

Macro evolution is at the species level, that is when a breeding population grows or "adapts" and thus becomes distinct from it's cousins or ancestors and can no longer interbreed and bare viable offspring, it has become a different species.

Kind of how certain species of theropod dinosaurs like velociraptor started growing feathers and eventually after thousands of subsequent generations we have a order we now know as Aves. Birds. But they're still dinosaurs. Just like any new wasp species will still be a new species of wasp.

When I say that Pokemon is magic I mean that it disregards biology and science all together, (and that's alright, obviously I enjoy pokemon too.) But they had seemingly appeared out of nowhere with no ancestors to speak of so any application of Darwinnian evolution is mute. The reason I brought this up in the first place is because the intro to all the pokemon movies are trying to pass Pokemon off as something akin to real life biology.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I find it hilarious, that this thread made me think of this.

Imo, your thinking way to deep into a childrens game. Its just there to be fun and pass time imo.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    I just conclude that most anime doesn't based on logical explain.

OF course! But trying to rationalize something that is not rational is something I find entertaining. Other people have done it too. If you look on deviantart for Bulbasaur Anatomical study you'll find pretty compelling artwork from another person who likes to rationalize it.

It's kind of in the spirit of transformative works though.

IT doesn't have to be rationalized, but it can. And that's fun too.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    If God created the animals, wouldn't he want them to be able to adapt to their environments as they change? So wouldn't he give them the ability to evolve and adapt? And yeah, Pokemon is like the sttages of the Caterpillar...

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    Or it's just a natural process and there is no god micromanaging every single aspect of life in the cosmos.

Or God isn't some single entity but the universe itself and we just interpret it for being self aware because we are too?

Back