• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Animal Freedom Fighters

Years
  • That actually sounds really cool how they will give you different suggestions in online grocery stores. It'd be an easy way to find new things to eat and, like you, I fancy myself rather adventurous with my food. I think a lot of vegans and veg-heads are like that, actually -- we gotta be in order to "give up" meat and dairy and eggs, haha. It does seem to open up a whole new world (DON'T SING) of eating.

Hey there Veghead!

Couldn't resist sorry...

Most stores offer you the option of substitutions, and usually it's a good trade, the brands will be comparable or better, they may offer you bigger sizes or more quantity, and certain stores won't even charge you the difference if they gave you a more expensive brand or increased quantity.

The only grocery store I would not accept substitutions from is Whole Foods, I have heard of them sometimes substituting really different things from what people asked for, and they also overcharge customers to cover any possible changes to the order--there may not even be any changes, but they sure as hell charge you just in case, and then you have to wait on a refund when the cost is adjusted. I don't like that policy, and haven't experienced it at any other major store like Food Lion or Wal-Mart etc. That's just "Whole Paycheck" as my dad calls them.

Oh wow! I'll have to look into them, they sound amazing! 🖤🖤 Always worth it to share places like this and hopefully other people can see that link and support their business. Especially in times like this where smaller businesses need all the help they can get. Thank you for sharing!

If you order from Bread of Heaven there is a code you can use called "Delicious" that takes 10 or 15% off, can't remember which. I just tried their vegan chocolate muffins! And they are the best chocolate muffins I have ever had. I whole-heartedly recommend.

And a small update on my end: my fiancee and I have been hard at work building a vegetable garden of our own! :D It's been going very well, and we've got a lot of seeds that need planting.

Any other Veg-Heads with a garden? Or looking to plant one?

We have a lovely flower garden, and were supposed to have a vegetable garden, but there have some set backs, rabbits ate the strawberries as soon as they were ready to ripen, birds swooped down and got the blueberries, the squirrels robbed the peaches from the trees, and the dog in a moment of excitement trampled through the cucumbers. XD

We do have some wild onions that grow naturally that survive, and also planted some tomatoes and peppers that seem to be doing alright. What we have in spades though are lots of herbs to season food with, we've got dill, rosemary, thyme, sage, mint, fennel, basil, and my favorites cilantro and tarragon. They make all the difference when you are flavoring a soup.

Maybe we could post photos of things we're growing? Every little bit we do for the environment is a help. <3

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    That's just "Whole Paycheck" as my dad calls them.
    lmao! Whole Paycheck xD That's amazing. Your dad's got a sense of humor.

I just tried their vegan chocolate muffins! And they are the best chocolate muffins I have ever had. I whole-heartedly recommend.
    Oh. My. Gosh. <3 I would loooove some chocolate muffins now. Great, it's like 11 am and I want chocolate muffins. Thanks xD

and the dog in a moment of excitement trampled through the cucumbers. XD
    Bahaha, awww xD Prince? What a big goofy fub. I once grew watermelon and my dog at the time dug them up and ate them when they were still tiny. Moral of the story: dogs can be jerks, lmao.

*your amazing garden description*
    Maybe we could post photos of things we're growing? Every little bit we do for the environment is a help. <3
    That sounds like a lovely idea! We should absolutely do that! We don't have anything grown yet, but we're starting and I would love to document that experience!

I'll start!
    Spoiler:

This is our basic set-up. We put mulch in it recently but I don't have a picture of that. Whoops. Last time we tried to plant, we grew tomatoes, broccoli, and peppers, but rabbits and deer ate them. So we needed to build something in hopes that we could prevent that. This is what we came up with.

Years
  • Oh. My. Gosh. <3 I would loooove some chocolate muffins now. Great, it's like 11 am and I want chocolate muffins. Thanks xD

What are your favorite vegan desserts? As I may have mentioned I am chocolate chip cookie junkie, and Whole Paycheck does make a mean vegan version.

Bahaha, awww xD Prince? What a big goofy fub. I once grew watermelon and my dog at the time dug them up and ate them when they were still tiny. Moral of the story: dogs can be jerks, lmao.

This reads to me like an amusing children's story. I would call it The Watermelon Thief, I love the sneakiness of digging up the watermelons while they are still little and gobbling them up XD
    Gotta love dogs!

Yup, Prince, was the culprit. Though he's really an innocent party, and didn't mean to. The story of the Cucumber Debacle actually begins with the next door neighbors. They have more dogs than they can take care of, literally dozens of small dogs who are spoiled rotten and allowed to run wild through the neighborhood. They tear up others property, chase the mailman and bark all night long, and the neighbors don't seem to mind the citations and fines from the city. On that fateful day a bunch of their dogs tried to break into our backyard and shook the fence and barked at us. So the Prince went galumphing over to see what the ruckus was, trampling the cucumbers in the process. One good thing came out the mess though, we got a nice new wrought iron gate to that part of the garden to protect future plants from another direct hit.

The herbs beds (R.I.P vegetables) are all behind this gate with this climbing roses. We go for a wild, overgrown fairytale cottage in the woods look.

I'll get a proper picture of the rosemary, chamomile, lemongrass, mints and others growing soon. They're getting big! The only reason I didn't go through the gate and snap a photo then was because the little monsters next door were waddling around in the area, if they see you in your own garden through the fence they start howling and harassing, charging the fence and I just wanted a quiet, drama-free afternoon, so I stayed in the shade near the patio and zoomed in with camera from.a distance. I'll go inside the inner garden at some point this week and get photos.

Spoiler:

Somebody knows how to behave though, and peacefully was seated enjoying the breeze and birds chirping, the conduct of a true prince.

Spoiler:

This is our basic set-up. We put mulch in it recently but I don't have a picture of that. Whoops. Last time we tried to plant, we grew tomatoes, broccoli, and peppers, but rabbits and deer ate them. So we needed to build something in hopes that we could prevent that. This is what we came up with.

You guys did a great job building this! My mother had a tiered terracotta planter in mind to purchase that would be reinforced to grow some vegetables in, but I am going to show her this. We might be able to make something similar little help from the family handy man. Your photos have gotten me so excited.

We are focusing on the flowers this year, and next year the vegetables will strike back!

I can still share a little color here with you though! Our irises are standing tall and lovely.

Spoiler:

Happy Everyday everyone! Spring has sprung!

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    What are your favorite vegan desserts?
    Hmmm... God, I dunno. All of them xD Ice cream and cookies and cake. I'm a total sweet tooth. And a savory tooth. I think I just like food, lmao

The Watermelon Thief
    Well, I know what I'll be doing if writing serious works falls through: cute doggie children's stories! :D

The Yappers, the Prince, and the Cucumbers
    Those poor dogs :/ Why even get dogs if you don't care about their safety or any other animals' safety?

--

Oh. My. God. Your garden area is absolutely gorgeous! I love that "overgrown fairytale cottage" look, it's so pretty! Wow, how long did it take you to grow all of this? Have you been gardening since childhood? Your flowers are beautiful 🖤🖤

You guys did a great job building this! My mother had a tiered terracotta planter in mind to purchase that would be reinforced to grow some vegetables in, but I am going to show her this. We might be able to make something similar little help from the family handy man. Your photos have gotten me so excited.
    Thank you~! Mostly my fiance built it. We only have one set of tools so I mostly couldn't do anything. Though I did help shovel all the dirt in there and helped hold support beams in place.

Good luck if you guys decide to make something like that yourself! It's a lot of fun and the finished result is breathtaking. You'll impress so many people with it, too ;P

Happy Spring! It's cold where I live, but the weather is supposed to get nice in just over a week. More lovely veggies and plants for us Veg-Heads, please! :D

Years

• I. How long have you been vegan or vegetarian?

I was vegetarian before having a period of about a year where I ate meat. I've since been vegan for nearly 4 years so I'll count that.

II. Do you have any pets?

A Chihuahua/Jack Russel. He thinks he is my boyfriend! Very attached. I've never had such a small dog. I'm used to Lurchers but he is so sweet!

What's your favorite dish?

Ghormeh Sabzi. It's a delicious Persian herb and bean stew. It has a very unique taste. Also Koreans make wonderful vegan food. And Shri Lankan food. Mmmm.

What are some of your other interests?

When I'm not working I'm either playing sports, at the gym, cooking or playing video games. I was going to go to Austria and also LA this year but... maybe next year!

Years
  • Hello, I was wondering if I could maybe join this group if possible I'm ALL for animal rights and STRONGLY dislike animal cruelty of all sorts. I know now after 5 years of research the darkside and truth about petshops / petshop chains around the world as well how circuses are as well from watching a show called Dodo Hero's. I still eat a little meat however and hope thats not a problem here. Though something I always did and still do today since I was little was pray for the animal giving me it's nutrients I need to live and survior. Hoping it did not die in vain and not with respect either. I wish not to debate nor argue with people on here about if I still eat a little meat sometimes though only chicken now. YES I know they matter as well but I gave up pork and beef and soon possibly if I need meat still to be healthy from what my doctor says I need to do I'll eat fish and YES they also matter as well.

I give TRUE thanks to any animals body I eat and don't just consume them with no respect. I hope everyone here can respect and understand me for that, also hope I can still join too.

How long have you been vegan or vegetarian?
    I don't like labels or using them but right now I'm a Flexitraian and still eat a little meat only Chicken or Fish though. As stated above I honor the animal, give thanks to it hope it laid to rest in peace. I might have to still eat a little meat to stay healthy from my doctor orders saying so when asking and saying if becoming Vegan. However I could only be a Vegetarian eating wise to remain healthy she said to me. So whatever happens now till I find a good balance with the food I eat to be healthy, I still highly respect animals and love them. I hope you can respect me still if that bothers anyone.

Do you have any pets?
    A cat named Tac and my sister has a cat named Nala My parents have 4 dogs and two stray outside cats they take care of and part of our family still even if from the neighborhood.

What's your favorite dish?
    I don't really have a favorite dish at this time, apologies.

What are some of your other interests?
    Check my profile I'll be listing a few there soon.

Back