• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animated or Static Battle System

Years
    Hey, I'm Karpman. Alright, so basically the battle system got a revamp in the 5th Gen, now being fully animated and the backsprites showing a full shot of your Pokemon. So, in comparison to the static battle system featured in the 4th gen and back, how does the Animated battle system that we'll likely be seeing from now on, fare? Do you prefer it to the old battle system, or do you like it better?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    Personally, I like the animated battle system in B/W because it's fitting to the "new beginning" theme of B/W because it had never been done in a main-series game. However, the static battle system feels good in the older games because it reminds you that you're playing the older classics.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I prefer the new system in Black and White. The animated sprites bring at least a little bit of realistic battling to a battle. Plus the Pokemon look cool moving about all the time. <:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I prefer the animated ones to the still ones. The only thing I don't care for is the back sprite of them. I always find myself liking when they did an animation of the overworld sprites on the team. Or when you looked at them on that Information page they had a slight movement upon opening up their info.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I like the animated ones a lot even though at first the back sprites of my Pokemon really annoyed me due to it being a bit too pixel-----but I got over it and now I love it. So I prefer the animated ones.

:t354:TG

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like both the static battles and the animated battles equally, but the backsprites of the animated battles shouldn't have to be so blown up.

Minezumi

ミネズミ
    Years
    Animated. It looks better than them moving and then standing still forever.
    I also like the moving screen when you're idle :)

Years
    I like both, but the new animated scene is pretty awesome. I'm pretty excited to see more of it in the future.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    OMG SPRITES SHOULD ALWAYS BE ANIMATED!!! lol. It just feels stale if they are just sitting their lifelessly.

Years
    Animated battles are more lively and I personally just think it's an awesome improvement from the static battles. And now that I think about it, the static battles have so little room in comparison with the animated battles.

And animated sprites are always a +1.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I like the animated battle system better. The sprites are more lively when they're moving. It seems more natural. It's a great improvement, and seems like an overall good idea. You can also see the personalities of Pokémon through their movements. The animated battles have more a larger space to move, so that's better for bigger sprites. Overall, I definitely like the animated system better.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I love the animated sprites. Feels more like the actual action (lol) is going on. But don't get me wrong, I still like the static battling. But it just feels more like I'm there when the sprites are fully animated, especially now that they faintly shows their status color (red for burn, etc), they slow down when their HP is low, and they shut their eyes when they're asleep. Ya know, it's just cooler. But the static battles fit in their game. Obviously it'd be weird if sprites were moving on Red. lol

Dracorus

мαѕтєя σƒ ∂яαgσηѕ
    Years
    i like the animated sprites.. they do bring life into a battle, but the static sprites are classic, so i like them too.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I prefer static. The animated battle system annoys me for some reason. ._.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    You should left out the word "system" because the core battle system is just the same. Only their sprites that are moving but still there is no change whatsoever in the battle system, still turn-based battle. Should use the word "style".

Which ever is fine. As long as the sprites have good looking with it.

Back