• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Rivals vs. Game Rivals

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
  • In the anime the Main Rivals as I assume considered by most people are as followed. Two of them that are Anime Exclusive

Main Rivals
    Kanto & Johto: Gary Oak
    Hoenn: None (unless you count Morrison)
    Sinnoh: Paul
    Unova: Trip

Sub Rivals (Debatable)
    Sinnoh: Barry
    Unova: Bianca

In games we have.
    RBGY - Blue
    GSC - Silver
    RSE - May or Brendan(based on the gender you picked) and Wally
    DPPt - Barry
    BW - Cheren and Bianca

My first question is. Do you prefer them to keep up the trend of Anime Exclusive Rivals or do you prefer to have them anime rivals that parallel in game rivals like Gary does with Blue?

Do you think they could have or should have substituted either Silver and Wally in during the Johto and Hoenn Sagas respectively? Or at the very least have added an exclusive rival? If they did do you think Ash rivalry or lack there of would have been handled better as it seemed none existent at times during those Sagas?

Do you think a character created exclusively for the anime has more room to expand on character wise then one where we have already seen shades of in the games? Like we already knew Blue was a jerk from the game, already knew Barry was a spaz from the game, we already knew Bianca was clumsy from the game. Whereas with Trip and Paul the writers have a blank slate to work with? So is there any truth to that statement?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Gary is just Blue with a different name. xD;

Well anyway, I guess it would be great to see some game rivals in the anime, I mean, I'm sure a lot of us would want to see them animated and voiced. But then again, I do actually like how the anime makes these exclusive characters, it gives the anime some uniqueness if you like. But then again, you can't really see much of anything new from these characters, I mean Trip is essentially Cheren's anime counterpart, in my opinion at least. He has the same personality, has that whole wanting to be champion and wanting to beat Alder or whatever. Paul had that whole Silver personality about him. Though I would want exclusive rivals as Ash's main, and then game rivals as just in a sense sub rivals(?)

ohHeyVaporeon.

You just can't shake me.
    Years
  • The contrast of the rivalries in the games, and then in the anime, has always been a hard one for me to wrap my head around. Personally, I do not mind the difference. As the person above me said, it adds a certain uniqueness. I like it.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I prefer that the anime keeps a balance of game and anime-exclusive rivals. It keeps more variety and interest because we won't know how the anime rival acts, whereas with the game rivals, we would pretty much know how they act and such.

I was perfectly fine with the rival situation in Johto and Hoenn. Gary Oak was sufficient, especially in his character change. And with Hoenn, Ash really didn't need a rival as he was mentoring May. Besides, May was rivals with, in my opinion, the counterpart of Wally, Drew. This is all based on design however. I don't think Wally would have worked anyway. If Ash was to help him catch a Pokemon, I can imagine him more as a traveling companion rather than a rival.

With anime-exclusive rivals, they certainly have more room to expand in their character. Because they aren't completely based off another character, the writers can be more creative and input their own ideals wit their development. To an extent, Paul and Trip are already based off a game-counterparts so their personalities are not completely new, but they're exclusive enough to be considered dynamic.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like the balance between game and anime rivals, but it would have been nice to put in Wally, Brendan, Cheren and Silver in a Pokemon League or an earlier point in the journey.

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    I like the anime-exclusive rivals, but I would like the game rivals to be rivals as well, kind of like they did in Sinnoh, and sort of in Unova.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Most (if not all) of Ash's rivals in the anime annoy the life out of me, so I think I like the game ones better. Of the game ones, I think I actually like Cheren and Bianca the best. Although Blue and Silver come a close second.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    It depends. With characters like Bianca, they have changed her character (in my opinion, for the worse). She wasn't such a ditz in the games, the whole issue with her was that her father wouldn't let her have any independence. Some characters like Gary, initially, they kept the same.

I don't think that being a game character necessarily means that they're going to have a predictable story. Who would've thought Gary would become a professor? o.O

I do love seeing the game characters in anime form, and I think they should try and include as many main and secondary characters in the anime as possible. I love to see how they interact with the main cast. Also, some anime-only characters have the problem of looking like generic "filler episode" characters, such as Kenny, and that what-is-it wrong name pronunciation guy from BW whereas game characters in the anime pretty much always look great.

I suppose the main thing is for the rival characters to have good, interesting personalities and designs. I don't mind too much about anime-only characters, I just wish that we got to see all the game characters in anime-form. Don't think we'll be seeing Cheren, though :( (and what about N??).

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Ehhh I've been meaning to post in this again... Any who hope this sparks some active discussion in the forum.

Gary is just Blue with a different name. xD;

Well anyway, I guess it would be great to see some game rivals in the anime, I mean, I'm sure a lot of us would want to see them animated and voiced. But then again, I do actually like how the anime makes these exclusive characters, it gives the anime some uniqueness if you like. But then again, you can't really see much of anything new from these characters, I mean Trip is essentially Cheren's anime counterpart, in my opinion at least. He has the same personality, has that whole wanting to be champion and wanting to beat Alder or whatever. Paul had that whole Silver personality about him. Though I would want exclusive rivals as Ash's main, and then game rivals as just in a sense sub rivals(?)
    Too me Trip seems like a combination of people rather then just Cheren alone. He has the drive to be the best and become the Champ like Cheren but more then likely he doesn't know what to do with it outside of saying "I am the strongest trainer what is left for me to do". Then he shares characteristics of Gary by acting like a jerk to pretty much just Ash and the hobbies of Todd. So I like how they can mix characteristics of different people and make it into one character. I dunno about how much of an extent Paul and Silver share the same personality. Yes they want to prove something to Reggie and Giovanni respectively but they seem to have two entirely different molds and stories. I haven't really read up much of Silver or remember him abusing his pokemon in game so I really can't speak to that. Either way I would have liked to have seen his character brought to life through the anime.

It depends. With characters like Bianca, they have changed her character (in my opinion, for the worse). She wasn't such a ditz in the games, the whole issue with her was that her father wouldn't let her have any independence. Some characters like Gary, initially, they kept the same.

I don't think that being a game character necessarily means that they're going to have a predictable story. Who would've thought Gary would become a professor? o.O

I do love seeing the game characters in anime form, and I think they should try and include as many main and secondary characters in the anime as possible. I love to see how they interact with the main cast. Also, some anime-only characters have the problem of looking like generic "filler episode" characters, such as Kenny, and that what-is-it wrong name pronunciation guy from BW whereas game characters in the anime pretty much always look great.

I suppose the main thing is for the rival characters to have good, interesting personalities and designs. I don't mind too much about anime-only characters, I just wish that we got to see all the game characters in anime-form. Don't think we'll be seeing Cheren, though :( (and what about N??).
    So was a bit of a ditz to an extent but I think they over dramatized her to where that is all her character really is to this point.

And I agree Gary is virtually the same as he was as Blue. Expect they expanded on his story and he followed in the steps of his gramps.

Yeah some anime exclusive characters seem rather bland like Stephan in BW. But that's probably cause they limit the interactions he gets with Ash and Co.

Personally I think we will see in, why build up a character in a game so much not to showcase him in the anime. But then again they had two opportunities(one coming up in Cold Storage) to show him as he appeared in the game the other being the Ferris Wheel. And of course the prior two meetings which weren't really notable imo. I just think they are waiting for the right time, maybe around the time they release the two postponed episodes they show N in a future one.

Do you prefer them to keep up the trend of Anime Exclusive Rivals or do you prefer to have them anime rivals that parallel in game rivals like Gary does with Blue?
    I personally have no preference with what ever rival they bring to the table as long as the rival in the game is bearable to deal with. As long as they showcase their personality that they did in the game and expand on it I am completely fine. Or if it's a entirely new character then I have no expectations at that point but to see what comes of it.

Do you think they could have or should have substituted either Silver and Wally in during the Johto and Hoenn Sagas respectively? Or at the very least have added an exclusive rival? If they did do you think Ash rivalry or lack there of would have been handled better as it seemed none existent at times during those Sagas?
    I don't necessarily think they needed to add Silver in Johto to have a suitable rival, but at the very least give Ash and Gary more interactions then they got. I mean Johto is at least to me one of the longest Sagas, they can't meet(not even battle just meet) more then a handful of times? I think they could have did better with that personally. As for Hoenn I am fine with them focusing on May rivalry and letting Ash play somewhat of a mentor role, so there wasn't really a need for a intense rivalry at that point. Although I would have liked to at least see Wally introduced to the show rival or not.

Do you think a character created exclusively for the anime has more room to expand on character wise then one where we have already seen shades of in the games? Like we already knew Blue was a jerk from the game, already knew Barry was a spaz from the game, we already knew Bianca was clumsy from the game. Whereas with Trip and Paul the writers have a blank slate to work with? So is there any truth to that statement?
    Like I always say when it comes to other things in the show. It's all up to the writers creativity really. They can have the blandest rival that is from the game or a character they made up, it's what they do with the personality and their character that really matters. It probably makes their job a bit easier when they got something to already work with with the in-game characters, but also it helps with they expand the characters personality from that in-game character to make them something more. Kind of like what they did with Alder, you could definitely tell he was unique and had a unique personality which we really didn't see much of in the game since they were pretty much focused on OMG N the Dragons oh noes! I do like that they have anime exclusive characters though, Paul and Trip are definitely some of my favorite characters introduced. Even if they have a bit of qualities of game characters they are exactly their own entity.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Ehhh I've been meaning to post in this again... Any who hope this sparks some active discussion in the forum.

Too me Trip seems like a combination of people rather then just Cheren alone. He has the drive to be the best and become the Champ like Cheren but more then likely he doesn't know what to do with it outside of saying "I am the strongest trainer what is left for me to do". Then he shares characteristics of Gary by acting like a jerk to pretty much just Ash and the hobbies of Todd. So I like how they can mix characteristics of different people and make it into one character. I dunno about how much of an extent Paul and Silver share the same personality. Yes they want to prove something to Reggie and Giovanni respectively but they seem to have two entirely different molds and stories. I haven't really read up much of Silver or remember him abusing his pokemon in game so I really can't speak to that. Either way I would have liked to have seen his character brought to life through the anime.

So was a bit of a ditz to an extent but I think they over dramatized her to where that is all her character really is to this point.

And I agree Gary is virtually the same as he was as Blue. Expect they expanded on his story and he followed in the steps of his gramps.

Yeah some anime exclusive characters seem rather bland like Stephan in BW. But that's probably cause they limit the interactions he gets with Ash and Co.

Personally I think we will see in, why build up a character in a game so much not to showcase him in the anime. But then again they had two opportunities(one coming up in Cold Storage) to show him as he appeared in the game the other being the Ferris Wheel. And of course the prior two meetings which weren't really notable imo. I just think they are waiting for the right time, maybe around the time they release the two postponed episodes they show N in a future one.

Do you prefer them to keep up the trend of Anime Exclusive Rivals or do you prefer to have them anime rivals that parallel in game rivals like Gary does with Blue?
    I personally have no preference with what ever rival they bring to the table as long as the rival in the game is bearable to deal with. As long as they showcase their personality that they did in the game and expand on it I am completely fine. Or if it's a entirely new character then I have no expectations at that point but to see what comes of it.

I don't necessarily think they needed to add Silver in Johto to have a suitable rival, but at the very least give Ash and Gary more interactions then they got. I mean Johto is at least to me one of the longest Sagas, they can't meet(not even battle just meet) more then a handful of times? I think they could have did better with that personally. As for Hoenn I am fine with them focusing on May rivalry and letting Ash play somewhat of a mentor role, so there wasn't really a need for a intense rivalry at that point. Although I would have liked to at least see Wally introduced to the show rival or not.

Like I always say when it comes to other things in the show. It's all up to the writers creativity really. They can have the blandest rival that is from the game or a character they made up, it's what they do with the personality and their character that really matters. It probably makes their job a bit easier when they got something to already work with with the in-game characters, but also it helps with they expand the characters personality from that in-game character to make them something more. Kind of like what they did with Alder, you could definitely tell he was unique and had a unique personality which we really didn't see much of in the game since they were pretty much focused on OMG N the Dragons oh noes! I do like that they have anime exclusive characters though, Paul and Trip are definitely some of my favorite characters introduced. Even if they have a bit of qualities of game characters they are exactly their own entity.
    The Johto series did a good job with Ash and Gary rivalry,Ash and Gary have great interactions with eachother even if it was a few times,besides they didn't have to battle eachother all the time. The Hoenn series suck since Ash didn't ave any rivals at all,May was the main focus in this series and she had her own rivals Drew and Harley,while Ash had non. The Sinnoh series gave him Paul as his rival but even Paul suck as Ash's rival since he was boring and just bland with out any personality at all. Trip seem to be full of life personality wise and his rivalry with Ash may last longer beyond the Unova region.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • The Johto series did a good job with Ash and Gary rivalry,Ash and Gary have great interactions with eachother even if it was a few times,besides they didn't have to battle eachother all the time. The Hoenn series suck since Ash didn't ave any rivals at all,May was the main focus in this series and she had her own rivals Drew and Harley,while Ash had non. The Sinnoh series gave him Paul as his rival but even Paul suck as Ash's rival since he was boring and just bland with out any personality at all. Trip seem to be full of life personality wise and his rivalry with Ash may last longer beyond the Unova region.
    Not really... From what I recall they meet twice before the league first in Power Play! and then in Extreme Pokemon! Where they had a race between one another. That is about the only form of competition they had against each other leading up to the league, so not exactly the most spirited rivalry Saga with "great" interactions. It wasn't till the Silver Conference that they had any worth while interactions at least in the realm of battling. I can agree with you on Hoenn concerning Ash. But what I will vehemently disagree on is Paul being a sucky rival with a bland personality. Just because he isn't a out going jerk like Gary wasn't doesn't make his personality any more or less better then past rivals. So lets not turn this into the typical I hate Paul topic cause I dislike Sinnoh and Paul and my favoritism is toward Johto. The topic about whether you prefer if at all a anime exclusive rival or one from then games why or why not.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Not really... From what I recall they meet twice before the league first in Power Play! and then in Extreme Pokemon! Where they had a race between one another. That is about the only form of competition they had against each other leading up to the league, so not exactly the most spirited rivalry Saga with "great" interactions. It wasn't till the Silver Conference that they had any worth while interactions at least in the realm of battling. I can agree with you on Hoenn concerning Ash. But what I will vehemently disagree on is Paul being a sucky rival with a bland personality. Just because he isn't a out going jerk like Gary wasn't doesn't make his personality any more or less better then past rivals. So lets not turn this into the typical I hate Paul topic cause I dislike Sinnoh and Paul and my favoritism is toward Johto. The topic about whether you prefer if at all a anime exclusive rival or one from then games why or why not.
    Well that is true. Anyways i do find Ash's and Trip's rivarly to be on a good routh to the Pokemon league,but atleast Ash and Trip are interacting a lot more.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well honestly, I'm not too sure the writers had any combination thought of at the time if you ask me, seeing as they most certainly seem to forget a lot of stuff that has happened in the past. And Trip uses his camera to really research doesn't he or at least along those lines, I'm pretty sure Todd was primarily a photographer. Though, if he does have this combination, it doesn't show any uniqueness whatsoever, or at least not a lot. I'm not too sure these Gary characteristics, Gary was a jerk, mainly because of the childish rivalry he had with Ash before they started traveling. But Trip seems to have formed a solid opinion on Ash, similarly to how Paul had. I still see Trip was a somewhat very similar to Cheren, which is why I don't think we'll be seeing him in the anime. Their both from Nuvema Town, both seem to want to become the champ... etc. Theres also an interesting point of the starters, I mean from episode 1 of Best Wishes, Ash took Oshawoot (or Oshawott followed Ash) Cheren took Snivy and Bianca had a Tepig. They all seem to parallel each other like the games. Just some thoughts to take into account.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I personally don't care, but it's nice seeing some game rivals being a huge competition for Ash in the anime. It brings more excitement and fun! :']

Back