• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Another] Monotype Team

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not some one-trick pony. -.-;;

This is a team I have constructed for my boyfriend. I wanted to give him a fair chance at winning so I'm posting it here so;
a) I can prove that my team building wasn't bias against Steel types (cause I've got my Dark team) and
b) just to hone my team building skills. Mind you, my boyfriend is completely capable of making his own team, but since I'm new I figured there would be no harm in getting the extra practice.

My details in this are very.. poor. I just got lazy. :P I'll edit this according to suggestions and necessity.

~
589.gif

Escavalier (m) @ Life Orb
Shell Armor
EV 252 Attack / 252 Defense / 4 HP
Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack]
- Swords Dance
- Focus Blast
- Mega Horn
- Iron Head
**Now, this guy is playing the first of a few sweepers in here. See, he has Focus Blast AND Mega Horn. That pretty much screams that I'm not making this team for my dark Pokemon can walk all over just for free wins. SD to assist those attacks.

598.gif

Ferrothorn (m) @ Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
EV 208 Defense / 204 Sp. Defense / 92 Attack / 4HP
Sassy [+Sp.Defense; -Speed]
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
**Ferrothorn to open up and lay down some SR and LS. Not much else to say here..

448.gif

Lucario (f) @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Steadfast
EV 252 Sp. Attack / 176 Attack / 80 Speed
Timid [+Attack; -Sp.Defense]
- Extreme Speed
- Aura Sphere
- Close Combat
- Dark Pulse
**I decided to run a mixed Lucario. The second sweeper of the team. Please let me know if CM Lucario makes more sense.

376s.gif

Metagross* (/) @ Choice Band
Clear Body
EV 252 Attack / 160 HP / 69 Speed
Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack]
- Hammer Arm
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
**The third and final sweeper. Metagross. I decided to not do with Zen Headbutt or anything like that because I wanted more moves with reliable accuracy. Bullet Punch for priority.

205.gif

Forretress (m) @ Shed Shell
Study
EV 252 HP / 192 Defense / 64 Attack
Impish [+Defense; -Sp.Attack]
-Explosion
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball
**Good'ol Forretress. Pretty Standard set. Spikes to set up with, Rapid Spin to get rid of'em. Explosion just for good measure. Shed Shell to avoid Magnet Pull.
411.gif

Bastiodon
(m) @ Leftovers Sturdy
252 HP / 248 Sp. Defense / 4 Attack
Impish [+Defense; -Sp.Attack]
- Toxic
- Taunt / Roar
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
**Supportiodon. Toxic to mess up serious sweepers. Taunt to do the same (or Roar if they already have set up). Iron Head as the main STAB attack.
~

I know I should probably have used Skarmory.. but we'll see.

Comments? ;)

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
I would talk about how monotype doesn't work and that such, but I'll just help you out with the idea of a steel monotype team, although it'll be quite limited. xD

First off, the team is going to want Heatran. Otherwise fire completely beats it. Also, I suggest running either Bronzong or Skarmory for the ground immunity. Trust me, it would help you tremendously despite the fact that Ferro/Escavalier are taking neutral from it.

Other things I've noticed are Escavaliers very odd set. I'd suggest going with the standard CB set which is:

From Smogon

name: Choice Band
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Return
move 4: Knock Off / Rock Smash / Reversal
nature: Adamant
ability: Shell Armor
item: Choice Band
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

Also, Explosion got seriously nerfed this generation and isn't that great (referring to your Forry). You could try replacing that with either EQ or Payback. Also, losing a pokemon this generation is basically giving up. Each member is extremely important to the success of your team.

Everything else looks pretty good to me, except the EVs on Metagross. I think you got the wrong Speed, I think you mean 96. xD

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Just a few things before I go to bed.

Escavalier does not like Focus Blast as it's a special attack and it has like 20 base SpA (not really but it's nowhere near as good as its Attack). I mean, it does have a terrible movepool so you don't have much choice but any physical attack would probably work >> Focus Blast. Knock Off, Return, Rock Smash (2hkos Heatran), etc. I also like a CB set; Escavalier does have the bulk to set up but not the speed to abuse it effectively - it's going to KO something and then die instantaneously probably to something with a Fire-type move. I'd have Megahorn/Iron Head/Pursuit/filler @ CB >> the listed set, imo anyway.

I'd rather focus Lucario on one spectrum or the other. Honestly, I like NP Luke as it kinda baits Skarmory (who walls you to heck and back btw) and smashes both physical and special walls a la Blissey with +2 Aura Sphere. Nasty Plot/Aura Sphere, and (Vacuum Wave/HP Ice) and (Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse). 252/252 modest, LO or air balloon.

Excadrill gets a +2 boost and sweeps this team. You need Skarmory somewhere, probably over Bastiodon which I don't imagine will do anything with its bad defensive typing (4x weaks to fighting and ground hmmmmmm).

I can't think of too much else right now and I'm really tired so I'll go to bed now yup.

edit; yeah heatran would be good. also prevents you from losing to magnezone, especially once lucario's down.

Last edited:

flamehaze94

Jeste!
Years
Heatran can do whatever Bastiodon can do but better. Adding Heatran will also improve your team by quite a bit. Standard Balloon Heatran should work very well, it also provides some attacking variety.

For Lucario, I recommend using the pure SD sweeping set. Skarmory gets destroyed by LO Close Combat after Rocks anyways and it should be able to KO Garchomp after some residue damage with SR + Spikes.

The EVs for all of your Pokemon are very weird and not at all optimal. For example, Ferrothorn would best be 252HP / 8Def / 248SpD with a Sassy nature. Forretress would like max HP and Def. Lucario would like max Atk and Speed.

So you'll be facing this team with your Dark team? Overwhelm him quickly with Scrafty or Zoroark or something, else you'll be on the receiving end of Lucario's Close Combat. Good battle advice right there.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
The EVs for all of your Pokemon are very weird and not at all optimal. For example, Ferrothorn would best be 252HP / 8Def / 248SpD with a Sassy nature. Forretress would like max HP and Def. Lucario would like max Atk and Speed.

Actually, I missed those EVs. xD Uhh. Ferro actually wants 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD, and Forry wants 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD @ Sassy which actually provides for a much sturdier wall (Dark Azelf did some calculations back a while ago, and I think that he said by running this setup, Forry loses about 6% or so of physical bulk in place of 32% in special bulk. I think that's a good trade-off).

Also, I agree with Vrai in running NP Lucario. The thing is a monster from the one time I used him and he's quite unexpected in some cases. The opponent sends in Skarm or Gliscor or whatever to wall you, switches out to Bliss/other special wall after they see you NP up, and you can usually get +4 rather easily off this simple bait and switch. Choosing between Vacuum Wave and HP Ice is up to you. Vacuum Wave hits Excadrill in the sand before he beats you with EQ, but HP Ice beats Gliscor who can otherwise take any +2 you throw at him (which would be Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse) and then KO back with EQ.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Awesome, you guys are great.

I feel a little bad for not putting too much effort into this one.. But I'll wrap up this team nicely and send it on its way. Maybe put it on a shelf and save it for a rainy day if my boyfriend decides not to use it.

Your input is much appreciated!
..But maybe this thread would be better off locked and put somewhere far, far away..
I really just wanted to know what everyone's recommendation would be.

All this regarded, I don't want to soil everyone's (limited) opinion of me. I realize that the art of "Monotype competitive battling" is, in essence, an oxymoron. I just play favorites for fun, not for keeps.

I will be posting a true, OU team in the future, but I feel like I still need to battle and learn more before I commit.

Anyway, thanks again everyone! Suggestions are always loved. :P

Back