• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any Simple Pokémon Players Here?

Years
  • As the title says, any simple trainers here? I don't mean "simple" as a synonym for casual. I mean "simple" as in, well... purist/conservative for a lack of a better word. I personally am a little uneasy with the new mechanics that have been starting to be introduced since gen. 5. DNA splicing (sort of, but it's only for 3 pokémon), mega evolutions, primal reversion (only two pokémon iirc?), and soon Alola forms just seem a bit unnecessary or overly complex for me. Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud in the river of innovation, but I doubt I'm the only one disinterested with these new features. The only thing I've really enjoyed seeing from these newer games is diagonal movement and the camera angles/3D sprites.
    Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I was just wondering if anyone else thought this way...

Years
  • I guess it's understandable to think this way, Game Freak have introduced a lot of new features recently and I'm sure there are many fans that prefer the simplistic style of the older games. I personally don't mind the new features but with Mega Evolutions and Alola Forms etc it's easy to see how some people can become overwhelmed.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I like a lot of the new features, as long as they're natural. So I'm a purist in a way? How I mean it is that baby Pokemon and breeding are both natural things that happen. DNA splicing isn't. Alola Form Pokemon seems natural to me. Mega evolution doesn't. I mean, I've not played X/Y, so there could be a natural explanation, but I don't see it easily. This is just my point of view, though.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I feel both ways on this. I really love the new mechanics every gen but I also understand what you mean by "too much". I wish the new mechanics of some gens were a little smaller but eh hey Im still cool with it and excited about it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    While I think the new forms are really cool, yeah, it can get to be too much. Especially in the metagame, where already powerful pokemon are getting even more powerful forms.

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
  • Why all the talk about new forms? If we're talking simple, how about single-screen gaming? I can't be the only person who enjoyed having everything on a single screen {XD}

On the topic of screen count and UI display, the switch to the DS did a lot of things right and some things wrong (at first this was a joke, but now you've got me thinking!). HGSS didn't need two screens at all, and it barely benefitted from anyways. All it did was make the START menu always visible on the bottom screen, which wasn't the best use space in the first place. DPPt did it well, using the Poketch to fill the space there, providing us with easy map access, status access, step count (for OOB glitches ;) ) and other useful features. BW used the space about as effectively as HGSS, considering most, if not all of the C-Gear functions could have been on a single screen. XY used it very well, since Super Training could be done while moving, and the Link capabilities were all in front of your face at all times if you needed it. This is one case where sure, it could've been mapped to START, but because of the ease of being able to use both screens at the same time, there was a real benefit. Same with ORAS, since it used the same bottom-screen features as XY, PLUS it could be used as a map. And a StreetPass news channel.

Back