• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any way to hack a DS to work on a WPA network?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

I'd have suggested Connectify myself if it weren't for that flaw. The developers of Connectify thought they knew better than all of us and omitted WEP support. >_>

I hate presumptuous people like that. Still Connectify works great if you have a DSi...so investing in one won't be a bad idea. I just wish there were more DSi compatible games.

No. This isn't the case at all.

The underlying issue is that the Wireless Hosted Network / Virtual Wifi technology that exists in Windows 7 and makes Connectify possible is purposely designed to only support WPA2 authentication, promoting security at the cost of some older devices (anything pre-2006, I believe) with poor wireless support.

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Hacking a DS is not illegal, stealing games is, and that's only depending on your country. Referring to jailbreaking the iPhone, which is legal. I've hacked my DS, it's simple and does NO HARM.

I don't think you should go around preaching these things without backing up your statement. Last I checked it was common for a company to be very against people modifying their systems to do things they shouldn't.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    No. This isn't the case at all.

The underlying issue is that the Wireless Hosted Network / Virtual Wifi technology that exists in Windows 7 and makes Connectify possible is purposely designed to only support WPA2 authentication, promoting security at the cost of some older devices with poor wireless support.
    Yeah, but it shouldn't be hard to simply omit authentication altogether. You're opening yourself up to leeches and other things, but there should be an option somewhere to do it regardless. It's up to the consumer to make a decision on such things.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    You're not even allowed to do that.

MSDN Documentation said:
    To provide protection for the wireless communications between the computer hosting SoftAP and the devices connecting to the SoftAP, the wireless Hosted Network requires that all devices connected use the WPA2-PSK/AES cipher suite.

Back