• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any way to hack a DS to work on a WPA network?

Voltagenic

got djent?
Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    I'm back after a long absence, and I'm itching to battle the community. Unfortunately, I've switched ISPs since then, and my cable provided router runs on WPA. The original DS/Lite don't work with it, but the DSi does. I can't afford a DSi at the moment, and Google's giving me nothing. Any members know any tricks, etc?

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    I'm pretty sure you can change the modem's settings. They prefer WPA, but you can change it to WEP. I don't think there's any way to hack a DS lite to use WPA unless it's homebrew.

That's my problem. I don't know how. I called my cable company, and they basically told me I couldn't change it to WEP.

I'm sure there's a way, or am I screwed?

Years
  • That's my problem. I don't know how. I called my cable company, and they basically told me I couldn't change it to WEP.

I'm sure there's a way, or am I screwed?
    You can force a router to use WEP, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you live on acreage with no-one coming near you, in which case any encryption is pointless.

There is no way to run the DS under WPA. If I remember right, the DSi can use WPA, but not in classic DS games.

If you insist upon it and don't have parents that use the connection, then you can log into the router's config via an IP address and change the encryption, but I don't think it's a good idea if you don't know how.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Easy solution: get another Wi-Fi router. They force you to use that one, but they can't force you to not hook another one up to your network that you can customize all you want.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Changing whether or not a DS is compatible with WPA would actually require tweaking each and every DS game of yours that uses Wi-Fi, as the antenna drivers are shipped within the game itself, not the DS.

That's why even though the DSi supports WPA, DS games on it do not.

Hence, it's easier to just change it on your router or get a new one.

Years
  • It's rare that a router is locked to WPA, though. I'm more inclined to believe the OP was just told they could not in order to stop him/her enabling a lesser encryption type.

Can you tell us the brand of the router?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • If you have Windows 7 and a wireless card, you could install Connectify and connect your DS to that. It might be smart to set up a MAC whitelist if you do that so that only approved devices (like your DS) can connect to it, though.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • If you have Windows 7 and a wireless card, you could install Connectify and connect your DS to that. It might be smart to set up a MAC whitelist if you do that so that only approved devices (like your DS) can connect to it, though.

I highly urge you to try this before anything else. The program is free.

Oh, and hacking your DS to do this would be an incredibly painful and possibly illegal process. I don't think that there is even anyone that could tell you how let alone do it for you. Trying to do it on your own could very well destroy your DS/games. I really don't recommend continuing down that path.

Years

Oh, and hacking your DS to do this would be an incredibly painful and possibly illegal process. I don't think that there is even anyone that could tell you how let alone do it for you. Trying to do it on your own could very well destroy your DS/games. I really don't recommend continuing down that path.
    Did either of you get this to work? Because the network only transmits in Ad-hoc mode, as far as I am aware. I also do not know where one can change the encryption to WEP and create a whitelist.

twocows

Years
  • Did either of you get this to work? Because the network only transmits in Ad-hoc mode, as far as I am aware. I also do not know where one can change the encryption to WEP and create a whitelist.
    There's an ad-hoc mode in Connectify, but there's also a "hotspot" mode. As for the other two things, I'm not sure. I kind of figured it would be in there.

Years
  • There's an ad-hoc mode in Connectify, but there's also a "hotspot" mode. As for the other two things, I'm not sure. I kind of figured it would be in there.
    It seems that you can't set it to WEP mode, nor can you do anything in regards to MAC addresses. Shame, too. You got me excited. It's also a pain that I can't use the Wifi adaptor in 64-bit Windows. I have one, but that involves either: a. creating a 32-bit XP VM and giving it direct access to the dongle, or b. having a dedicated 32-bit system to manage it.

What did you end up doing OP?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    In Windows 7, I also tried the Windows tool for Ad-Hoc that is included with the installation of Windows 7, but I have no luck. I reaally want to find a way to play my DS on Wi-Fi with the WPA network, though :( Is there any other way?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    It doesn't seem to allow me to do anything but a WPA-TSK
    Any way to hack a DS to work on a WPA network?

twocows

Years
  • Oh, I didn't realize it forces you to use WPA. You could try screwing around with the ad-hoc mode, as that uses WEP, but I'm not sure how it works or if it'd be helpful or not. Sorry about that.

Most routers have a WEP setting somewhere, if you can find it. You might want to look into that.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020

Hacking a DS is not illegal, stealing games is, and that's only depending on your country. Referring to jailbreaking the iPhone, which is legal. I've hacked my DS, it's simple and does NO HARM.

Also, if you're forced to use WPA... yeah, you're screwed basically.

Years
  • Oh, I didn't realize it forces you to use WPA. You could try screwing around with the ad-hoc mode, as that uses WEP, but I'm not sure how it works or if it'd be helpful or not. Sorry about that.
    The DS does not support Ad-Hoc Wifi networks in any shape or form. You're stuck with a WEP Router or Nintendo Wifi adaptor.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    The DS does not support Ad-Hoc Wifi networks in any shape or form. You're stuck with a WEP Router or Nintendo Wifi adaptor.
    Stupid AMD 64-bit processor with Windows 7 :( I wish I could make a VM.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I'm back after a long absence, and I'm itching to battle the community. Unfortunately, I've switched ISPs since then, and my cable provided router runs on WPA. The original DS/Lite don't work with it, but the DSi does. I can't afford a DSi at the moment, and Google's giving me nothing. Any members know any tricks, etc?

I've seen this before. You should be able to log into that router and change it to WEP. The support tech is either ignorant, stupid or is required to say that...you may need to contact Level 2 support (Above the idiot's supervisor) to get an answer on how to do that.
    Just google your modem's model name/number and see if you can do that. If you got any documentation with your modem/router...try to read it...it should list the IP address you go to in your browser and what the password may be.

If you have Windows 7 and a wireless card, you could install Connectify and connect your DS to that. It might be smart to set up a MAC whitelist if you do that so that only approved devices (like your DS) can connect to it, though.

I'd have suggested Connectify myself if it weren't for that flaw. The developers of Connectify thought they knew better than all of us and omitted WEP support. >_>

I hate presumptuous people like that. Still Connectify works great if you have a DSi...so investing in one won't be a bad idea. I just wish there were more DSi compatible games.

Back