• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Anyone disappointed by this generation?

MegaMushroom07

Animal Crossing Most-Wanted
Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Is anyone disappointed by Pokemon Diamond & Pearl? I am.

Firstly, I don't they push the DS. The battle graphics are identical to Emerald's. I was hoping for Stadium II styled graphics, at least in the battles.

Secondly, the new Pokemon are rubbish. Face it; They're just clones of old ones.

Thirdly, the Pokemon cries are not different to old ones.

Finnaly, the touch screen is not employed to move around. Pokemon with Zelda controls would be thoroughly excellent.

Does anyone agree?

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • Is anyone disappointed by Pokemon Diamond & Pearl? I am.

Firstly, I don't they push the DS. The battle graphics are identical to Emerald's. I was hoping for Stadium II styled graphics, at least in the battles.

Secondly, the new Pokemon are rubbish. Face it; They're just clones of old ones.

Finnaly, the touch screen is not employed to move around. Pokemon with Zelda controls would be thoroughly excellent.

Does anyone agree?

First - Aside from battle graphics (because overworld graphics look really nice), Pokémon is not the kind of game that can use all the DS features. I think, though, that they could have made more sprites for each Pokémon (rather than stupid gender differences which are barely noticed) so that they look more animated. They could have moved the sprites a bit more, too, as they did in FR/LG with Wing Attack and such with all moves.

Second - Actually, the new Pokémon are way more creative because of the physical and special split. Most Electric, Fire, Water and Grass-type Pokémon had a high Special Attack. Now there's much more variety. I don't see anything wrong with the new Pokémon, and actually many of them are the most powerful in the metagame.

Third - If you mean the new Pokémon's cries, you are absolutely wrong. Actually, it's Vileplume and Aerodactyl, Diglett and Doduo, Goldeen and Caterpie, and Charizard and Rhyhorn who had the same exact cry. Now cries are very different and sound better.

Fourth - Pokémon is the kind of game that uses mazes made to move only in four directions. And there's nothing wrong with not moving in eight directions, really. o_O

Okay, I accept D/P could have been better but Nintendo knows the games is as addictive as always, and that all fans will buy it anyway. And that is true.

Years
  • Is anyone disappointed by Pokemon Diamond & Pearl? I am.

Does anyone agree?

Firstly, no game has stadium 2 like graphics on DS. Only the big consoles (and the Psp) get them kind of graphics.

Secondly, some are clones I suppose but not all. [Pre-evos are clones but smaller and I think Infernape is cloned From Blaziken]

Thirdly, Well I cant really answer this one as I dont pay attention to cries.

Finally, I think that should of been employed too.

I think we can be happy with D/P but we can definately look forward to improve in either a possible G/S/C remake or a 3rd version of D/P.

MegaMushroom07

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    I think that Stadium I graphics are capable on the DS...I would by an expansion pack for Stadium II style.

NidoKang

Bow down to the King
    Years
  • I agree that some of the Pokemon could have been better.But most of them are just fine.
    I noticed when i first started playing that the new Pokemon were more "cute" than the previous ones.
    The DS controls are fine for me. I duno what you expected out of it.. But i know i didn't buy a PS3 when i bought my DS :)

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • Actually, if you see games like Metroid Prime Hunters or Super Mario 64 DS, you'll notice DS is better than N64. But Stadium uses 151 Pokémon and a few closed areas while this would need 493 and a lot of different and big areas to battle. If they become 3D in the next generation, though, I'd prefer cel-shaded effects. It would fit Pokémon better than PBR graphics.

MegaMushroom07

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Actually, if you see games like Metroid Prime Hunters or Super Mario 64 DS, you'll notice DS is better than N64. But Stadium uses 151 Pokémon and a few closed areas while this would need 493 and a lot of different and big areas to battle. If they become 3D in the next generation, though, I'd prefer cel-shaded effects. It would fit Pokémon better than PBR graphics.

A la Zelda, the Phantom Hourglass, once again. That would look great.

#Gecko#

Alert: Tacos Rule
    Years
  • Actually, the only disapointed I found was it wasn't 3-D. But I'm satisfied with 2-D and the game is pretty cool.

Fancies_Chanseys

Collector
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2008
    I don't mind the graphics or anything...
    I just cannot get into the game. I have tried sitting down and playing it, but it just gets too boring... What I need is a long drive and my Pokemon Pearl.

But I do plan to stay up late one night and try to beat as much of the game as I can to try and get hooked.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I guess in some ways it did, and in some ways I see that they're probably running out of Pokemon to make.

Gen 1 is still my favorite, but I'm not too saddened by Gen 4. There's some really cool Pokemon and a lot of decent ones.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2007
    I'm pretty content with Gen 4, it took some time to adjust to the tweaked graphics system. I think its pretty impressive compared to the other pokemon games.
    I like the addition of snow and I liked the rain even better of course those were also in Gen 3, well rain at least.

I feel like the Great Marsh/SZ could have been better in DP. The train makes it feel more cramped, maybe I am the only one who feels this way. While I also welcome the return of the day/night system, I wish there were more weekly events. If you go to Bulbapedia you can see that Gen 2 still had way more events than Gen 4.

I still love Gen 2 the most.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Pokémon has never been the kind of game that boasts around with the graphics and never will be. The DS would not be capable of handling so many Pokémon Stadium quality graphics either. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl take a lot of space the way they are now and full 3D just wouldn't fit into a DS cartridge since 500+ models as well as several hundred more attack graphics would be more than enough to fill up the whole cartridge. Let's not forget that the systems in Pokémon are fairly complex and also take up a significant amount of space and if you combine that with the big amount of large areas in Sinnoh, there's no way 3D models would fit into the game... ever. ._.

As for your new Pokémon argument: the new ones are just as creative as the old ones. They gave a couple of evolutions to Pokémon that actually needed it. I seriously don't see why that's a problem. ._. And honestly, every generation has a couple of bad designs and D/P don't have any less than R/S/E for example.

Cries are irrelevant and have zero effect on the gameplay.

And last, why the heck would you want to move around with the touch screen? The Pokétch is extremely handy and fun to play around with whereas moving around using the stylus just gets annoying after a while.

It seems to me that your expectations for Diamond and Pearl were to high and that's why you're disappointed. D/P were not meant to be anything revolutionizing and fans shouldn't try making it seem like that either. Pokémon games have always had the same standards and just because the platform changes doesn't mean the standards should, and Pokémon is still a fun turn-based strategy game, which is exactly what it's meant to be.

In my opinion, the Wi-fi capabilities are enough reason to get D/P and I'm personally satisfied with what Diamond had to offer.

Years
  • I don't mind the graphics or anything...
    I just cannot get into the game. I have tried sitting down and playing it, but it just gets too boring... What I need is a long drive and my Pokemon Pearl.

But I do plan to stay up late one night and try to beat as much of the game as I can to try and get hooked.

It is hard to get into once all the 8 gyms are done and you have to go through victory road to the pokemon league. [Especially when you know everyone else has all the cool features you get after beating the pokemon league]

But I'm on it almost every day now.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2008
    no, dp= best poke game ever, i couldnt have asked for more. i absolutly love the new evos such as ivire and gallade, there awesome. one of the reasons it really attracted me in the first place

MegaMushroom07

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    It is the best Pokemon game (Except G/S/C), however, I think it's presentation is below standard for a typical DS game.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    It is the best Pokemon game (Except G/S/C), however, I think it's presentation is below standard for a typical DS game.
    But it fully meets the standards of a typical Pokémon game which is what it's supposed to be.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • I agree with Smarties. Pokémon is not meant to have awesome graphics and cool real-time battles than involve the touch screen. I'm happy with it. Of course, I think the battle graphics could have been better, but that doesn't mean the game is not fun. Wi-Fi helped a lot, too. It's not meant to change much.

MegaMushroom, if you remember, there were a lot of N64 games in 2D or just terrible for the time. Pokémon is okay.

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    zelda wind waker had kiddie graphics wich at times looked crap but it was a big success so much that they are using the same style in the new game pokemon graphics are the same they slightly modifie it every game anyway if you like it dont play.

ZOMBIE!

I'm a lawn gnome...not a pixie
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 27, 2007
    Yes, there are some things I don't like about D/P but, there are so many things that I do like about it. Not to mention the fact that through all the games you notice a SLOW progression of change into the modern technology age but I like the fact that they seem to stick to old style graphics for the most part during certain things. It makes the games stand out in a different and more unique way than the games with shiny 3D graphics do.

now, I would love to try playing pokemon battles like a Kingdom Hearts battle or something. I think that would be fun and unique but I can wait for it if they ever do and if they don't I won't exactly care either. But, it would still be fun, no?

Back