• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone remember their very first battle?

Falcon Wing

PokeMafia Member "Weavile"
Years
  • I was searching stuff up when I found a very old Pokemon video that had me thinking. Can I remember my very first battle?

I know it was Pokemon Yellow, I had a Pikachu and I battled a Rattata, that's when I was skeptical about the whole "Pokemon" thing. But after that first battle, I loved it. What about you? Do you remember your very first battle?

Casey333

~Johto Trainer~
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 10, 2018
    I faintly remember it.

I was 6 when I started playing and my grandma got me and all my cousins Red or Blue. We got the choose. I got Blue and I chose Bulbasaur as my starter cause my twin brother chose Squirtle and my oldest brother chose Charmander so I was like "Screw it. Ill choose the other one." xP I started walking and was all cool about it and then out pops a Ratata! I thought it was ugly so I defeated it.

Ahhh good times. Goooooood times.

Static Pichu

Has his wifi back!
    Years
  • Yeah, my first battle was the first time i got a pokemon game, diamond.

I was just walking oh so innocently through the tall grass with my friend/rival, and a stupid starly appeared, i thought hard about which starter to choose, and I thought, Ah, what the heck, chimchar looks awesome, and i scratched that starly to death.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • My first pokemon battle was on Pokemon Yellow Version on the GBA. I remember using a pikachu to fight my every battle.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I was just a teeny little lad and I had just got Pokemon Yellow version! Gary stole my Eevee so I had to take the stupid Pikachu and then he battled me and it went along the lines of:

Pikachu used thunder shock.
    Eevee was paralyzed and maybe unable to move.
    Eevee is fully paralyzed.
    Pikachu used thunder shock.
    It was a critical hit.

Pocchama01

Dark and Psychic Type Trainer
    Years
  • My first battle was in ruby version against the poochyena that attacked Prof. Birch. I picked Treeko as my starter.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Yep. In Red, Charmander against a Rattata.
    Or was it Charmander against Squirtle? Do you fight your rival as soon as you get the Pokemon in that game? I'm sure you do... bah. I can't remember, oh well.

MewMewXX

|| Tohru || Pokemon ||
    Years
  • My very first battle was in Pokemon Blue against Gary's Charmander. My Bulbasaur definitely had the disadvantage, and I think I lost because I hadn't discovered that potion you take out of your pc yet. :D I was so ashamed that I switched off my humble GameBoy Pocket and had to start again. :)

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Unlike everyone else, my first battle consisted of Lugia vs Snorlax. XD

My godbrother let me borrow his Gameboy Color on our way coming back from Orlando, Florida. I was curious so I looked over his Gameboy and saw the game. The game itself looked fun, so I asked him if I could try it. I played it, (Lost though). I begged my mom to buy me one, so we stopped by the nearest Wal-Mart and bought a purple Gameboy Color and Pokemon Gold. Then my first battle would have been versus a wild Sentrent. XD

Falcon Wing

PokeMafia Member "Weavile"
    Years
  • Lol, you guys have some funny stories. Keep it comin! I just like to think back at the firsts before getting into the HG/SS, because in a way, nothing tops the Originals.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Starting Blue Version way back when, I chose Squirtle. My battle against my rival went like this:

Squirtle: Tackle
    Bulbasaur: Growl
    Bulbasaur: Growl
    ...etc. =/

I didn't take a hit the whole battle. Same thing happened years later when I got LG...

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • Not specifically. My first was in Yellow, and all I remember was being a spaz with my GBC. xD I had this horrible habit of mashing A really fast when Pikachu used Thunderbolt or when I was catching a Pokemon. Not because anyone told me it would help, but because it was just a wierd ritual of mine. I also remember getting pissed because Brock and Misty didn't join me. xD

Oh, but I do remember fighting my first wild Pokemon. After it fainted I was so confused as to why it didn't end up in my party, and then the old Weedle guy had to explain it to me. xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    By the way... how did all of you people who had red/blue/yellow for your first battle get past Gary and go straight to the first route? I'm confused xD

Against Gary in Red... I have to assume because that's the only way to do it. I don't remember actually doing that but I know I had a Squirtle. Also I was 6... and the game had just come out a little while ago

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    Whatever it was, I used Mew. My friend had a Red before me, and I raised his Mew for him. He wiped the game later, but...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ah, I remember very well! My cousin got Yellow for her birthday, but she wasn't big on Pokemon, so she let me get it started for her. Yeah, my first battle wasn't my own game. Anyway, Pikachu vs. Eevee! I tapped the A button because I thought that determined how strong the move was, and because I didn't know what else to do in the battle. So, all throughout the battle, I tapped A. A lot.

Years
  • Nen can hardly recall her first battle. >.o I was playing a friend's brother's Emerald version, and I think it was Pelliper vs. Shiftry. Being a complete n00b, I experimented with random moves and finally ended up killing the Shiftry with Fly.
    I remember bein' really happy with myself because the trainer I defeated praised my battling abilities. xDD Now I know the sad truth that practically all of them compliment you and it doesn't
    actually mean you're special. ;A;

Back