• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Appropriate in-game price of Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    Like the title says I could use some peoples input on something. So here's my question.

If you had the option to buy a Pokemon in a game not counting legendaries just any regular stage 1 Pokemon of your choice from any Gen what would you be willing to pay? 5000 Pokedollars? More? Or less? A high price early game that would take a while to save up for, an affordable price mid game that would be easy enough to get with a few battles worth of money, and late game would be no problem at all. I think between 5000 and 8000 would be the best, but what about you, the players?

Last edited by a moderator:

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • I don't know how good of a reference it necessarily is, but you could compare with the Game Corner prizes in gen 1 and 2.

500 coins costs 10 000$ in the games, so converted to pokedollars, this is what each Pokemon costs in Pokemon Yellow:
    Abra: $4 600
    Vulpix: $20 000
    Wigglytuff: $53 600
    Scyther: $130 000
    Pinsir: $130 000
    Porygon: $199 980

But the Game Corner prizes are notoriously expensive. Just compare with the prices of the TMs.
    Dragon Rage: $66 000
    Hyper Beam: $110 000
    Substitute: $154 000

For comparison, the Hyper Beam TM sells for $7 500 in gen 3, so almost 15 times less than its Game Corner prize. You could probably adjust the price of the Pokemon in the same way by dividing them by 15. Not sure how this would fit in gameplay-wise in your game, but I think it should be a good starting point.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    I'm going to have them all the same price originally. So I was trying to figure out what a good price would be. Maybe i'll just start with 5000. Cause I plan on having vouchers for a free pokemon. So early game you'll have a way to add pokemon to your team so making that 5000 isnt your #1 priority. Just trying to find that right balance between hard early, normal, mid, and easy to obtain late game.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I think you should really flesh out your game economy before deciding on what is the right price. Base it on how much the average battle winnings are as well as average cost of items necessary to play the game using currency.

Without having a baseline, you are really guessing at what it may be and you could just be entirely off the mark for better or for worse - and it kind of just wastes time and effort into using the mechanic of buying mons.

Back