• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Grr, someone please help me.

im trying to make a battle, but i get this error (this ia pasted from error log coz i need to ost 15 times b4 i can put a picture, but there is an attatchment)

Interpreter:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:753:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:292:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Scene_Map:99:in `update'
    Scene_Map:97:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:110:in `update'
    Scene_Map:66:in `main'
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Section089: 15:in `pbLoadTrainer'uninitialized constant PBTrainers::RIVAL
    Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Section089: 8:in `each'
    Section089: 8:in `pbLoadTrainer'
    Section089:220:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    (eval)1 :in `pbExecuteScript'
    Section019:753:in `eval'
    Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Section019:753:in `command_111'
    Section019:292:in `execute_command'
    Section019:190:in `update'

Interpreter:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:753:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:292:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Scene_Map:99:in `update'
    Scene_Map:97:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:110:in `update'
    Scene_Map:66:in `main'

wat can i do to fix this?

oh and for some reason, it says PBTrainers:RIVAL, its not a rival im tryin to battle, i dont have a rival in my game yet... ive only got 2 trainers in trainers.txt, its the same trainer, but i want them to be battled twice, 1 has name + id the other doesnt...
    The error occurs because you don't have "RIVAL" set up. We can't really help you until we see what you do have (i.e. the contents of the "trainers.txt" PBS file, and the contents of the event(s) that is triggering the battle). A few screenshots of those things will do nicely.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    does anyone one know how to, with a transparent background, edit the script so that you can still see the in game world as the background when you enter you Bag or Pokemon Selection Screen?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    does anyone one know how to, with a transparent background, edit the script so that you can still see the in game world as the background when you enter you Bag or Pokemon Selection Screen?
    No need for a transparent background, just remove the pbFadeout{} thing, (the word and the bracket before .he scene call and the bracket after the scene call.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    The error occurs because you don't have "RIVAL" set up. We can't really help you until we see what you do have (i.e. the contents of the "trainers.txt" PBS file, and the contents of the event(s) that is triggering the battle). A few screenshots of those things will do nicely.

Okay, here's a couple attatchments of what i got, the trainers.txt,and the error is there too... Hope this helps you, coz its not helping me at all :(

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Okay, here's a couple attatchments of what i got, the trainers.txt,and the error is there too... Hope this helps you, coz its not helping me at all :(

I see the problem. The name you have set for the trainer that you want to face's class is MISTY, not RIVAL. Make sure that you change MISTY to RIVAL (caps matter) in both the traners.txt and the trainersnames.txt files. That OR you can change the script in the game so it says PBTrainers::MISTY and so on.

No need for a transparent background, just remove the pbFadeout{} thing, (the word and the bracket before .he scene call and the bracket after the scene call.
    I do have another question of my own. Where can I find (and change) the coordinates of the placement of the box and stuff in the PkMn Selection Screen?

Last edited:

jadored

Jay the Peanut Butter Queen.
    Years
    This project is getting so frustrating.

I get my first couple maps done. Finally get all my events working the way I want. Learn to sprite, everything's good. Then I attempt to use a script, and the whole game crashes.

1st Problem: I need to have Mr. Pokemon give the player a pokemon to deliver to Falker. I went to the upokemoncenter notes to learn how to do this.

I followed directions and inserted:

@>Conditional Branch: Script: pbAddForeignPokemon(PBSpecies::PIDGEOTTO,15,_I("FALKNER"),_I("ACE"))
    @>Text: Received a Pokémon from Mr. Pokemon.
    @>
    : Else
    @>Text: You have no room to store the Pokemon.
    @>
    : Branch End

When in game I got up to this point, and it said there was a problem with the script and the game crashed.
    At first I thought I did something wrong and copied the example. This is what was inserted:

@>Conditional Branch: Script: pbAddForeignPokemon(PBSpecies::SHUCKLE,20,_I("MARK"),_I("SHUCKIE"))
    @>Text: Received a Pokémon from Mark.
    @>
    @>Text: You have no room to store the Pokemon...
    @>
    @>

Then I went back to this part of the game and once again it crashed.

2nd Problem: A old lady in a pokemon center gives you an egg because her son keeps trying make omelets out of it. I used the same site and once again followed directions and inserted this:

@>Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length>=6
    @>Text: You have no room to store the Egg...
    @>
    @>Script: Kernel.pbGenerateEgg(
    : : PBSpecies::PONYTA,5
    : : )
    @>Text: Received a Pokémon Egg.
    @>
    @>

Just like before, when I got to this point the game crashed. So i put in the original:

@>Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length>=6
    @>Text: You have no room to store the Egg...
    @>
    @>Script: Kernel.pbGenerateEgg(
    : : PBSpecies::TOGEPI,5
    : : )
    @>Text: Received a Pokémon Egg.
    @>
    @>

Annnnd it still crashed.

I don't know why this is happening! I wasn't a spelling error because I copied and pasted everything. =[ Help?

ALSO, I am having trouble with battling, mostly setting up the trainers, and starting the battle, but I have not spent much time on this so might be able to figure this one out but any tips would be appreciated.

Sorry if this has already been answered but there's to many pages to read through them all x.x

-Jay

Jirachi's Gift

Make a Wish...
    Years
    Help with FLY.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me.

How do I set the location to FLY to?
    When I select the town I wanna fly to on the map, nothing happens.

Please I really need to know how to FLY.
    -Thanks.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me.

How do I set the location to FLY to?
    When I select the town I wanna fly to on the map, nothing happens.

Please I really need to know how to FLY.
    -Thanks.

I can answer this.

there is a text file called townmap.txt. You'll have to input All the info for each area.

EX:
    Point=7,4,"City of the Isle",,2,040,038,

The first two numbers are cooderinates where on your map you'll find the place, the name is the name of course, and the last three number are more specific.

The first of those last three numbers is the the map's ID, which you should be able to find in the map's properties.

The last two are the coordinates that you would fly to on that map. If you're flying to the outside of a building, the transfer script on the inside of that building should have two numbers that would be those coordinates.

Jirachi's Gift

Make a Wish...
    Years
    SURF Help! (Thanks lx_theo!)

Thank allot lx_theo.
    I was quite easy.

Now....
    Uhm, why if I use surf the player walks on the water?
    How do I correct that?

Does anyone know a good site to get sprites and overworld sprites?

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Thank allot lx_theo.
    I was quite easy.

Now....
    Uhm, why if I use surf the player walks on the water?
    How do I correct that?

Does anyone know a good site to get sprites and overworld sprites?

The metadata must be set to use the sprite you normally use for walking as a surf sprite as well. Once you get a surf sprite you can change in the "GLOBAL " part of the "Set Metadata" in the Editor.exe file

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Here's a simple question, but it's for those of you who know some scripting:

How can I put a bit of text into a screen?

To elaborate, I want to be able to change the colour and alignment of the text, and have it appear just as text (i.e. not in a comment box thing). Obviously I also want to be able to place it wherever I want.

I found this, and while it puts text in wherever I want, I can't change the main/shadow colour or alignment of the text.

Code:
    @sprites["somename"]=Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.newWithSize("",87,396,160,160,@viewport)

. (later)

@sprites["somename"].text=_ISPRINTF("Text goes here")
    I've been trying to mimic other methods that do what I want (there's one that involves "textpos.push" in it, followed by "pbDrawTextPositions(self.bitmap,textpos)"). However, no matter what I set up and what I define earlier on, I just get errors (mostly along the lines of it not being able to define self.bitmap or somesuch).

I know with languages like this you have to define a box for things to go in, and it seems I'm just having trouble defining a box here (make it full screen size for simplicity). Whatever code I copy from other scripts in Essentials just doesn't seem to be the full picture.

Thanks for your help.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Is their anyway to add more players that can be utilized by the changeplayer script?

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Can someone tell me how to take PokeGear out of the Menu, and take the Map from the Summary ?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Can someone tell me how to take PokeGear out of the Menu, and take the Map from the Summary ?
    The Pokégear will only appear in the pause menu if the player has it. That is, if you've set "$Trainer.pokegear=true" at any point. Just don't do that, and the Pokégear option won't appear in the pause menu.

If you just want to disable the Pokégear option for a short while, set it to false at the start of that while, and make it true again at the end of it. Easy enough.

Note that keeping this setting as false doesn't mean you can never use the Pokégear. The setting is only used to determine whether it can be accessed from particular places, i.e. from the pause menu. You can make your own things (like a Key Item) to access it instead, and it'll work.

I don't know what you mean about the map in the summary. You mean remove it from the Pokégear menu? If so, then you'll have to edit the Pokegear script to remove the parts relating to the map. Those parts include the selectable option (line 22; comment out), the map icons (lines 37-40; comment out), line 104 (comment out), what happens when each option is selected (lines 130-153; change these), what happens when you click on an option (lines 176-194; change these) and what information is shown when you select each option (lines 200-207; change these).

All you really need to do is comment out/change all those lines as directed, and it should work.

For the "change these" lines, the radio is now command 0, the phone is command 1 and exit is command 2 (instead of being 1, 2 and 3 respectively, as the map used to be command 0). Make sure that when you highlight/select one of those options, it does the appropriate thing.

I also assume you'll have some other way to open the Pokégear, since you asked how to disable it from the pause menu, e.g. a Key Item.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Thank you Maruno : )

Well, my game is getting to a point, where it's close to being finished, and i wanted some help from someone a bit experienced to make the Map for the game as i don't know how to make it.

Anyone that wants to help (will be credited obviously) contact me via PM, thank you !

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    hey, well i just went to your sire poccil, to get essentials again, but everything i press a link to it besides the mail one i get a page of a bunch of letters and symbols, do you know whats wrong. If anyone else has noticed this and has a solution i would be grateful for ever. thx. -dino

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    hey, well i just went to your sire poccil, to get essentials again, but everything i press a link to it besides the mail one i get a page of a bunch of letters and symbols, do you know whats wrong. If anyone else has noticed this and has a solution i would be grateful for ever. thx. -dino

This happened to me too, but I guess the site is down. And I don't think you're supposed to post this here, just stuff about a game made with the starter pack.

Jirachi's Gift

Make a Wish...
    Years
    Better Pixels

Does anyone now of a tool I can use to enhance the quality of my sprites, overworldsprites and tilesets?

Like to make it smoother like in Pokemon D/P style?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back