• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    @Maruno: Thanks, it makes more sense now (you seem to get that a lot). When I was "simplifying" it, I was going to use different calculations (scrapping the original code), but now I see why that didn't work. Also, I found that using a high number causes problems in the (d<8). For instance, if you use (d<20000), it will make some or all of your pokemon shiny. However, something like (d<5000) didn't cause any noticeable problems when I tested it. I think someone said there was a limit to how high it was supposed to go, but I don't remember what it was.

Last edited:

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
    That should be helpful for a lot of people, especially beginners. Also, I know how annoying it is to lose stuff like that, but there's a saying that "Good stories are written, but great stories are re-written." I know that my first attempt at a game was awful, but trashing the entire project I originally had helped me start in a better direction.

About six months ago, my portable hard drive with my Pokemon game on it got stolen, I didn't have a back up... But, I'm farther than I was since it was stolen by a lot, so yeah rewriting the game helped me make it better than it was.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    @Maruno: Thanks, it makes more sense now (you seem to get that a lot). When I was "simplifying" it, I was going to use different calculations (scrapping the original code), but now I see why that didn't work. Also, I found that using a high number causes problems in the (d<8). For instance, if you use (d<20000), it will make some or all of your pokemon shiny. However, something like (d<5000) didn't cause any noticeable problems when I tested it. I think someone said there was a limit to how high it was supposed to go, but I don't remember what it was.
    I'm not sure what your problem is. Setting "d<20000" means about a third of all Pokémon in the game will be shiny, which is what you describe.

You may be confused because, when you change this number, some Pokémon that previously weren't shiny in your test game now are. That's because you're changing the game, which is something that the players won't do. They'll be playing with the final number you set for "d" from the start. Just pick a number (between 0 and 65535), and that's it. There's no problem there.

Years
    Can anyone show me how to set for a specfic pokeball to work on catching a trainers pokemon and the same ball work better on catching a specfic type of pokemon. like the nest ball and dusk ball do. Just this I want to use on a new type of pokemon?
    I'd help now but I have an exam in 8 minutes. I can help after that, it's not that difficult.

I need help on something that I can't find the answer to anywhere! The Townmapgen.HTML won't work for me! I have Vista and the page automatically opens up to Internet Explorer. (These things are common but I thought I might as well list them.) I can click on anything on the map, but nothing hapens! It just refuses to work, can anybody help me with this?
    Just open the map from the Pokegear in debug mode and you can input map points from the game. Much easier than using the town map gen.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I'm not sure what your problem is. Setting "d<20000" means about a third of all Pokémon in the game will be shiny, which is what you describe.

You may be confused because, when you change this number, some Pokémon that previously weren't shiny in your test game now are. That's because you're changing the game, which is something that the players won't do. They'll be playing with the final number you set for "d" from the start. Just pick a number (between 0 and 65535), and that's it. There's no problem there.
    I see, but I don't really understand WHY it changes your pokemon. It doesn't really matter though. On to my real topic: I found that the problem with the daycare thing had something to do with my kit (I've had a myriad problems with it, so I'm going to upgrade). However, there is one error. I can store multiple pokemon with no problem now, but when I withdraw I get:
    Spoiler:

The error occurs when it checks the gender to display it properly in the list of pokemon you have stored. If the gender check is removed, then the name is undefined. Basically, it appears that the 3rd pokemon deposited isn't stored in the daycare array. The appropriate "for i in 0...2" entries have all been changed to 10, but the problem should limited to where it is stored under pbDayCareDeposit, but it could also be under pbDayCareGetDeposited.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    That fifth weather is "Sunny" (as you'll see in Pokémon Ruby when Groudon is messing with the weather). Basically, the outside maps get brighter (even at night) and glow in a pulsating manner. It also means sunny weather is in effect during battles.

All the maths in that clause is because the brightness is changing, whereas in all the other weathers the brightness is a constant (albeit different to when there's no weather). I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Just make your new weather "overworld weather number 6".

I thought that might be it, but I find it odd, because in PBWeather, "SUNNYDAY" - or sunny weather - is weather number 1. Does this mean there's a difference between overworld weather number and the in-battle number for the weather? Also, what does weather 1 in PokemonWeather do, if it's not Sun (to match PBWeather's SUNNYDAY)?

Thanks for the help, by the way. I still need to understand how the overworld Weather and the battle weather work together to get anything done, but at least you've unraveled the tangle a bit for me.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I thought that might be it, but I find it odd, because in PBWeather, "SUNNYDAY" - or sunny weather - is weather number 1. Does this mean there's a difference between overworld weather number and the in-battle number for the weather? Also, what does weather 1 in PokemonWeather do, if it's not Sun (to match PBWeather's SUNNYDAY)?

Thanks for the help, by the way. I still need to understand how the overworld Weather and the battle weather work together to get anything done, but at least you've unraveled the tangle a bit for me.
    PBWeather is in-battle weather only. PokemonWeather is overworld weather only. There's a difference.

PokemonWeather:

• 0 = normal
    • 1 = rain
    • 2 = storm
    • 3 = snow
    • 4 = sandstorm
    • 5 = very sunny
    PBWeather:

• 1 = Sunny Day
    • 2 = Rain Dance
    • 3 = Sandstorm
    • 4 = Hail
    The transfer between the two is in PokemonField, pbPrepareBattle. Note that the numbers for in-battle-only weather are never used (at least, nowhere you should care about); it's always "PBWeather::SUNNYDAY" or whatever. The overworld weather is always referred to as "$game_screen.weather_type==5".

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    PBWeather is in-battle weather only. PokemonWeather is overworld weather only. There's a difference.

PokemonWeather:

• 0 = normal
    • 1 = rain
    • 2 = storm
    • 3 = snow
    • 4 = sandstorm
    • 5 = very sunny
    PBWeather:

• 1 = Sunny Day
    • 2 = Rain Dance
    • 3 = Sandstorm
    • 4 = Hail
    The transfer between the two is in PokemonField, pbPrepareBattle. Note that the numbers for in-battle-only weather are never used (at least, nowhere you should care about); it's always "PBWeather::SUNNYDAY" or whatever. The overworld weather is always referred to as "$game_screen.weather_type==5".

Okay, thanks. That should help a lot. I'll go see what I can do with it, and hopefully make some headway. :D

EDIT: Okay, after nearly making my head implode (over lots of stupid little things that should have been easy, no less!), I finally got it running without error on my test map. Which is to say, the map loads, and when I get into a wild battle the Poison Mist weather is in effect. So much thanks!

Now I just have to figure out this whole business with @rain_bitmap and etc - where is this "rain bitmap", either as code or as a picture? And then I have to make the overworld animations for the poison mist. Unless it's a scripting thing, in which case I may have to settle for just tinting the screen... DX

Anyway, much thanks again. I could never have gotten this far on my own.

Last edited:

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    Heyo.~

I suppose this is a good place for my first post, seeing as I am now fully involved in my own little projects. I recently downloaded RPG Maker XP to learn how to map for another site, in which I found Pokemon Essentials and started messing around with that. Doing a little, basic mind you, scripting, I found out how to do a few cute things and now I really would like to just make a little "beta" game, I suppose you could say, for my friends to try out. So, question: (I'm sure I'll be back with more. :p )

1. How do I change the starting point for my character and still have him show up in the game, rather than be invisible? I've searched this thread, and read the notes, but they're all pretty unclear about how I make my character visible.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
    How do I change the starting point for my character and still have him show up in the game, rather than be invisible? I've searched this thread, and read the notes, but they're all pretty unclear about how I make my character visible.

okay well, um, a little more information about what you're after would be appreciated, but let's have a go at this.

do you have some kind of intro screen/menu system where you pick the gender and name of the character? because the starting point should really be on that map, with a 'transfer player' event that happens after you've decided on your character. you need a 'change transparent flag: transparent' as you call the character with 'pbchangecharacter(whatever)', and then with your 'transfer player' event that dumps the player in the real starting map, make sure you put in a 'change transparent flag:normal' just before it.

if you don't have a info screen/menu system thing in place, and you're strangely adamant about not getting one...then I can't help you at all. I mean I assume the player becomes visible the moment you use the 'pbchangeplayer(whatever)' command, and that's why you have to make them transparent with the info screen (so they don't, y'know, interfere with that)...so I don't really see what the problem is.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010

okay well, um, a little more information about what you're after would be appreciated, but let's have a go at this.

do you have some kind of intro screen/menu system where you pick the gender and name of the character? because the starting point should really be on that map, with a 'transfer player' event that happens after you've decided on your character. you need a 'change transparent flag: transparent' as you call the character with 'pbchangecharacter(whatever)', and then with your 'transfer player' event that dumps the player in the real starting map, make sure you put in a 'change transparent flag:normal' just before it.

if you don't have a info screen/menu system thing in place, and you're strangely adamant about not getting one...then I can't help you at all. I mean I assume the player becomes visible the moment you use the 'pbchangeplayer(whatever)' command, and that's why you have to make them transparent with the info screen (so they don't, y'know, interfere with that)...so I don't really see what the problem is.

Ah, ok. Thanks a lot. I don't have an intro screen, so that would be why. Since I downloaded the program, at first, just to have a secondary mapping program in a game type I love (I also have the Legend of Zelda one), I haven't done much scripting at all. Just making characters talk and move, really.

There should be a guide on how to make an intro screen in the notes/advanced section, correct?

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
    Ah, ok. Thanks a lot. I don't have an intro screen, so that would be why. Since I downloaded the program, at first, just to have a secondary mapping program in a game type I love (I also have the Legend of Zelda one), I haven't done much scripting at all. Just making characters talk and move, really.

There should be a guide on how to make an intro screen in the notes/advanced section, correct?

yeah, I'm pretty sure there is. but really, you can make it however you like, as long as there's a pbchangeplayer and a pbtrainername in there somewhere, otherwise you either have no player character, or they're just not counted as a trainer.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010

yeah, I'm pretty sure there is. but really, you can make it however you like, as long as there's a pbchangeplayer and a pbtrainername in there somewhere, otherwise you either have no player character, or they're just not counted as a trainer.

Thanks a lot. It worked like a charm.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    I did, but just the basics. :p

If I want to make it more complex; like, say, add in a Professor talking about Pokemon. Is there a guide for something like that? Or should I just wing it?

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
    I did, but just the basics. :p

If I want to make it more complex; like, say, add in a Professor talking about Pokemon. Is there a guide for something like that? Or should I just wing it?

well the pokemon starter kit has that at the start, so if I were you I'd just check out how it works in that. it should be pretty easy to isolate the important bits and muck around with them in your own game to make it work how you want it to.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
    Where, in PokeMonPokeDex, do you control how many species are shown at one time on the dex? I'm playing around with mine, trying to fix it up, but I can't seem to figure out where to go. =x
    Spoiler:

^I want it to only display 6-7 at a time, since that's all the room for it anyway.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
    Where, in PokeMonPokeDex, do you control how many species are shown at one time on the dex? I'm playing around with mine, trying to fix it up, but I can't seem to figure out where to go. =x
    Spoiler:

^I want it to only display 6-7 at a time, since that's all the room for it anyway.
    Find the code super(x,y,width,height) and replace it with this:
    super(x,60,width,220)

That will get you to display only 6 pokemon at a time. To change the position of where they are displayed change the x,y according to where you want it.

Hope that helps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back