• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
  • KingCharizard, thanks a ton for your help man. With the movement animation though, I said that I wasn't talking about movement speed, but the frequency at which players animate (i.e., how often the charset picture moves to the next frame). I've already toyed around with the movement speed values. What I want to do is increase the rate at which players and events animate without touching the speed at which they move.

As for the jumping animation, I kind of see what you're saying. However, the problem with this is that, nothing is actually happening while the hero is in mid-air. I tried readjusting it like you suggested, and it fixed the bug where the hero's sprite doesn't change back, but now it just appears as if nothing is happening at all (since the sprite didn't change when the hero was in mid-air in the first place).

Could anyone give me any suggestions where to go from here?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    pbItemDrop only returns true or false. It doesn't return an item. I'm not sure what the point of it is. In fact, I can't even see how it works.

Try something like this:
    Code:
    def pbItemDrop
      itemlist=[
          PBItems::POTION,
          PBItems::SUPERPOTION,
          PBItems::RARECANDY
      ]
      return itemlist[rnd(itemlist.length)]
    end
    Then the second bit of code looks something like this:
    Code:
    itemgained=pbItemDrop
    if @internalbattle
      pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} found a {2}!",self.pbPlayer.name,PBItems.getName(itemgained))      
      $PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(itemgained)
    end
    With some minor edits I got it working perfectly now. The point of it is to make pokemon drop items after battle randomly, sort of like money when using the move payday (which is what gave me the idea to try it). It's a common RPG element, and one that I was kind of missing in Pokemon games. I also made it to where you don't always get an item, and instead there's a 20% chance. I also went into more depth and created two arrays, one for rare items and one for common items. Then a random number is generated and if it is within a certain range, the rare item array is used instead of the common item array (otherwise rare items appear at the same rate as common ones).

@Dark_Soull: to change your player graphic in battle, you will need to use pbChangePlayer(). The number in the () determines which character you become (0 is the default for male, and 1 is the default for female, 3 and 4 have to be defined by you, and anything higher will require a little bit of scripting). You basically have two extra slots that you can use to change your player (when you change your player this way, it's still "you," just to clarify that), and you can open the Editor.exe and choose set metadata. The select global and set the player C and D fields (which are used by pbChangePlayer(2) and pbChangePlayer(3) respectively).

@Mrchewy: I don't know if this is helpful or not, but maybe you can try setting your graphic to change right before you jump, instead of when jumping. Try looking where jumping is handled, and right before the script that actually says to jump, add a switch that returns true (unless you can use the changeplayer somehow in the middle of the script, then do that). When the switch is true, a script should run that changes the player graphic. Since you already fixed it to where you change back after jumping, you don't even have to worry about that. I might have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to give you an idea of how the logic might work.

Here's a rough example:
    Spoiler:

Also, can anybody tell me how to display the exp bar in the summary menu? It never changes, and I can't seem to figure out how it's displayed in battle, only how it's animated.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    KingCharizard, thanks a ton for your help man. With the movement animation though, I said that I wasn't talking about movement speed, but the frequency at which players animate (i.e., how often the charset picture moves to the next frame). I've already toyed around with the movement speed values. What I want to do is increase the rate at which players and events animate without touching the speed at which they move.

As for the jumping animation, I kind of see what you're saying. However, the problem with this is that, nothing is actually happening while the hero is in mid-air. I tried readjusting it like you suggested, and it fixed the bug where the hero's sprite doesn't change back, but now it just appears as if nothing is happening at all (since the sprite didn't change when the hero was in mid-air in the first place).

Could anyone give me any suggestions where to go from here?
    The player's sprite is changed while fishing. It doesn't need any switches, it's just one line that changes the sprite sheet. Look it up (in PokemonField), and see if you can adapt it for your jumping.

I would suggest you try doing your fiddling in "pbLedge" in PokemonField - change the graphic near the beginning of that def (just before the call to pbJumpToward), and change it back at the end. The reason is that the entire jump movement itself is all done by pbJumpToward. Note you should only change the player's graphic if they're actually facing a ledge at the time.

Also, can anybody tell me how to display the exp bar in the summary menu? It never changes, and I can't seem to figure out how it's displayed in battle, only how it's animated.
    As I see it, everything else about experience is displayed fine (i.e. all the numbers). It's just the bar itself that doesn't exist.

I was about to suggest you have a look at how the HP bar is done, but I don't think there's a HP bar either. Here's the code to display the EXP bar:

Code:
    overlay.fill_rect([COLOR=SeaGreen]300,200[/COLOR],(pokemon.exp-startexp)*[COLOR=Red]100[/COLOR]/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(0,142,142)) if pokemon.level<100
    overlay.fill_rect([COLOR=SeaGreen]300,200[/COLOR],(pokemon.exp-startexp)*[COLOR=Red]100[/COLOR]/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(102,216,255)) if pokemon.level<100
    The green numbers are the coordinates of the bar (specifically, the top left corner of it). The red number is the width of the bar. This code goes in the appropriate place in PokemonSummary (obviously).

For bonus points, you can go back into PokeBattle_ActualScene and search for "fill_rect". You'll find it.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    As I see it, everything else about experience is displayed fine (i.e. all the numbers). It's just the bar itself that doesn't exist.

I was about to suggest you have a look at how the HP bar is done, but I don't think there's a HP bar either. Here's the code to display the EXP bar:

Code:
    overlay.fill_rect([COLOR=SeaGreen]300,200[/COLOR],(pokemon.exp-startexp)*[COLOR=Red]100[/COLOR]/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(0,142,142)) if pokemon.level<100
    overlay.fill_rect([COLOR=SeaGreen]300,200[/COLOR],(pokemon.exp-startexp)*[COLOR=Red]100[/COLOR]/(endexp-startexp),2,Color.new(102,216,255)) if pokemon.level<100
    The green numbers are the coordinates of the bar (specifically, the top left corner of it). The red number is the width of the bar. This code goes in the appropriate place in PokemonSummary (obviously).

For bonus points, you can go back into PokeBattle_ActualScene and search for "fill_rect". You'll find it.
    It worked perfectly, thanks.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Just a quick question that may have been answered already, but I didn't see it yet, and that is if this kit works for Rpg maker VX? I originally downloaded rpg maker xp but it wouldn't work with my vista that I have(unless I did something else wrong), so I had to get VX. Its not really a big deal if it works or not, I just wanted to try this out.

lalo0101

Thanks Mulczhar for Avatar:D
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2013
    Just a quick question that may have been answered already, but I didn't see it yet, and that is if this kit works for Rpg maker VX? I originally downloaded rpg maker xp but it wouldn't work with my vista that I have(unless I did something else wrong), so I had to get VX. Its not really a big deal if it works or not, I just wanted to try this out.

its for xp it says it in the name of the thread

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2010
    Pokemon Essentials is for RMXP only, and why doesnt it work on Vista? It works on my laptop that uses Vista ^,^

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    its for xp it says it in the name of the thread

Thanks genius, I can figure that out, thats why I explained in my post I tried to use XP first but it wouldn't work. Vx doesn't include many changes either, and most programs like it, such as game maker allow you to use programs of previous versions.

Pokemon Essentials is for RMXP only, and why doesnt it work on Vista? It works on my laptop that uses Vista ^,^

Whenever I would start it up after downloading and installing everything, it would immediately say it it couldn't find the trial version serial number for some ntitles thing.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • Okay, the first section of the script in Pokemon Utilities has to do with the day and night tinting. Does anyone know what hours the numbers shown represent? I was hoping to change the tint colors to something less harsh...

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Thanks genius, I can figure that out, thats why I explained in my post I tried to use XP first but it wouldn't work. Vx doesn't include many changes either, and most programs like it, such as game maker allow you to use programs of previous versions.
    The kit has RGSS2 compatability, which is what VX uses. It does not, however, actually work in VX. In other words, you can use the RGSS2 player (the game.exe) to play it, but you can't actually use it to make a game in VX. However, I did some looking around some time ago and someone was trying to convert it for use in VX, so maybe they have it finished by now or something.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • Thanks genius, I can figure that out, thats why I explained in my post I tried to use XP first but it wouldn't work. Vx doesn't include many changes either, and most programs like it, such as game maker allow you to use programs of previous versions.

Whenever I would start it up after downloading and installing everything, it would immediately say it it couldn't find the trial version serial number for some ntitles thing.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKVkA1FM-fw It will help you solve that problem for vista, which it does work as I've already had to do it.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • Whenever I would start it up after downloading and installing everything, it would immediately say it it couldn't find the trial version serial number for some ntitles thing.

Right click, and Run as Administrator...

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    The kit has RGSS2 compatability, which is what VX uses. It does not, however, actually work in VX. In other words, you can use the RGSS2 player (the game.exe) to play it, but you can't actually use it to make a game in VX. However, I did some looking around some time ago and someone was trying to convert it for use in VX, so maybe they have it finished by now or something.

I just noticed that thread myself a few hours ago, but it seemed like it was too difficult for people to do.

Watch this video: It will help you solve that problem for vista, which it does work as I've already had to do it.

Thanks a lot, it finally works(which frankly was annoying more than actually using it).

Right click, and Run as Administrator...

Thanks!

Years
  • Thanks genius, I can figure that out, thats why I explained in my post I tried to use XP first but it wouldn't work. Vx doesn't include many changes either, and most programs like it, such as game maker allow you to use programs of previous versions.

This tutorial tells you how to get rid of that ntitles serial number error.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=165326

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I have a bit of an odd question, and it likely won't have a simple solution. When defining trainers to set up trainer battles, you select their pokemon and their levels. Would it be possible to make the levels more dynamic, where they would be adjusted to, say, the average level of your party? If that much is possible, then it would be a small step to something like your party's average + 5 levels, and so on. This would help keep the difficulty consistent, and could punish players who over-level a single pokemon.

Valora17

Something Memorable?
    Years
  • Does the layer on which you place a tile effect the movement of the player? Cause I usually put my houses on Layer 2 and then put nothing over them but when I was playing today I realized that I could still walk through the houses even though I turned the O into an X in the tileset. :/ Help?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Does the layer on which you place a tile effect the movement of the player? Cause I usually put my houses on Layer 2 and then put nothing over them but when I was playing today I realized that I could still walk through the houses even though I turned the O into an X in the tileset. :/ Help?
    It shouldn't matter whether they're on the 2nd or 3rd layer, but make sure that there are no invisible tiles over them that are passable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back