• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hidesprite and showsprite only work on level scripts, but movesprite and movesprite2 work all the time. Remember that.

I have told you this before, that is NOT true. I use hidesprite in Person Events all the time.

CrystalStatic: I have no idea why that would happen. However I can tell you that there is an applymovement movement command that will hide sprites and show sprites just like the hidesprite and showsprite commands do. So, instead of hidesprite, you could have:

applymovement 0xYY @hide

#org @hide
0x60 //0x61 will show, 0x60 will hide
0xFE

So, see if that works. It may be inefficient, but it is an alternative.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2016
I'm very new to pokemon hacking so i need help

I'm hacking pokemon fire red for my own amusment, but what bothers me is that Ghost type attacks are physical, is there anyway to change it into special? and if so, what tool should i be using?

I saw in some hack games they had hacked all attacks to match the Fourth generation physical special attack system so i know its possible

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
Hello. I'm getting a kind of weird error with tiles, and I have absolutely no idea what's causing it. Whenever entering 1 specific map, the tiles around the entrance just become completely messed up. Upon going deeper into the town, where the tiles aren't glitched out, and coming back to the entrance, the tiles are no longer glitched out. It only seems to happen when entering the town from 1 specific entrance. Anybody know what to do to prevent the tiles from glitching out?

Here's a screenshot of the issue.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
@thanethane98

Are you using different tilesets (tileset 2 in AM) for the route and the city? Because sometimes glitches like that can happen when for example the house tiles of the city aren't in your route's tileset 2. Gamefreak usually solves this problem by using gatehouses so that there isn't a direct connection between the 2 maps. You could also move the glitchy tiles in the city a bit up so that you'll only see them when you've entered the city map. The tiles should be loaded properly then.

karatekid552

Years
I'm very new to pokemon hacking so i need help

I'm hacking pokemon fire red for my own amusment, but what bothers me is that Ghost type attacks are physical, is there anyway to change it into special? and if so, what tool should i be using?

I saw in some hack games they had hacked all attacks to match the Fourth generation physical special attack system so i know its possible

Spherical Ice would like to sponsor this message in saying that there is a handy dandy search feature on this forum, in fact, it is right in the title.

This question has been asked soooooooooo many times, it isn't funny. There is a patch which will add the physical/special split to your rom. Search for it.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
@thanethane98

Are you using different tilesets (tileset 2 in AM) for the route and the city? Because sometimes glitches like that can happen when for example the house tiles of the city aren't in your route's tileset 2. Gamefreak usually solves this problem by using gatehouses so that there isn't a direct connection between the 2 maps. You could also move the glitchy tiles in the city a bit up so that you'll only see them when you've entered the city map. The tiles should be loaded properly then.

Thanks, that should fix it. I can't believe I didn't even consider something like that, it seems so obvious now that you've pointed it out. {XD}

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
That's why the DS games contain little bridges or homes in-between maps to stop that glitch, Gamefreak gets away with everything. ^^

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
One thing I was curious about - how did JPAN manage to add specials to the game? I know ASM, so I can understand how most of his routines work (at least in a vague way), however I don't understand how he made them compatible with the "special" and "special2" commands in scripting.

I'm guessing that there is some table somewhere that has pointers to each special in order, and he just expanded / exploited that table, but I'm not sure. And, even if I'm right, I can't find any information on where such a table would exist (or even if it does).

If someone knows anything, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: After doing a little more searching, I realized that he didn't add specials, but instead replaced duplicate, useless, or nonfuctional specials. However, I am still confused as to how he knew what pointers to replace to make his custom routines work with the "special" and "special2" commands.

Last edited:
Years
I'm having a little problem in my romhack, which i think the images attached show

So this is me on a certain map, where this glitch happens.

The problem occurs after I open my bag, or if I battle the one trainer in the room (the guy with the cape).

After you go back to the map, you become a different person. Your guy doesn't move, instead, you become the guy in front of the elevator.

And you can move him, which lasts until you leave the map.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? There are a couple scripts on the map, but I don't think they are causing the problem. Here is the map before the battle:

where the elevator guy has a normal message script, the old man and your rival disappear after the battle, the guy next to the cases says one thing before the battle and another thing after the battle, and the guy in the cape talks, battles you, a flag is set which causes the people to leave and text to change, and then he says something different after you beat him. This all works fine if I leave the map via the stairs and come back, after the glitch occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
Hey. I need a little assistance with a FireRed hack I'm doing.

I'm trying to change the palette of both playable characters' outfits in their introduction sprites, but it doesn't seem to let me import and save the changes I made.

I've kind of just played around with it and tried doing things in a fool-proof way, but that didn't work.

The first method I used was one I found on Zel's tutorial, which was to use the black and white palette of it and replace the right levels, but that didn't work. Ended up all yellow and purple. I then just tried editing the original picture that I found online and importing it, but it wouldn't save the palette. Tried decreasing the depth to 16 bit with Infranview, but that didn't solve the problem.

How would I go about doing this? I didn't use any new colors; I recycled the blue from their other other articles of clothing.

(Can't post the images because I apparently need 15 posts)

If it's of any help, their sprites in unLZ.GBA are 340-341 in 256 Color Mode.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Hey. I need a little assistance with a FireRed hack I'm doing.

I'm trying to change the palette of both playable characters' outfits in their introduction sprites, but it doesn't seem to let me import and save the changes I made.

I've kind of just played around with it and tried doing things in a fool-proof way, but that didn't work.

The first method I used was one I found on Zel's tutorial, which was to use the black and white palette of it and replace the right levels, but that didn't work. Ended up all yellow and purple. I then just tried editing the original picture that I found online and importing it, but it wouldn't save the palette. Tried decreasing the depth to 16 bit with Infranview, but that didn't solve the problem.

How would I go about doing this? I didn't use any new colors; I recycled the blue from their other other articles of clothing.

(Can't post the images because I apparently need 15 posts)

If it's of any help, their sprites in unLZ.GBA are 340-341 in 256 Color Mode.

Sometimes, doing things in a foolproof way never gets things done. Make a copy of your ROM and go wild.

When you insert an image, make sure your check 'Repoint Image Palette' as well, otherwise the new sprite would use the old palette and new sprite.

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
Sometimes, doing things in a foolproof way never gets things done. Make a copy of your ROM and go wild.

When you insert an image, make sure your check 'Repoint Image Palette' as well, otherwise the new sprite would use the old palette and new sprite.

I don't think that worked.

The one thing I can say is that the palette that shows up when you first go to it isn't the original and when you search through all of the palettes, there ISN'T the original. It's all just random palettes, like random greens, purples, yellows, blues. But never the original.

And there's only 67 palettes for them.

So...I just don't know how to do it. I import the image over the default (which is 9, by the way) and it comes out a different palette than I wanted. Even after it accepts the new palette and everything. I don't know what I'm doing.

I so wish I could post pictures so maybe you could get an idea and maybe understand a little better if you haven't already, but stupid PokeCommunity is stupid.

Last edited:

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
I don't think that worked.

The one thing I can say is that the palette that shows up when you first go to it isn't the original and when you search through all of the palettes, there ISN'T the original. It's all just random palettes, like random greens, purples, yellows, blues. But never the original.

And there's only 67 palettes for them.

So...I just don't know how to do it. I import the image over the default (which is 9, by the way) and it comes out a different palette than I wanted. Even after it accepts the new palette and everything. I don't know what I'm doing.

I so wish I could post pictures so maybe you could get an idea and maybe understand a little better if you haven't already, but stupid PokeCommunity is stupid.

The colors are right, correct? Just allocated to the wrong pixels? If that's the case, you must invert the transparency color in a software such as IrfanView. I believe that DJG has a YouTube video about how to do this. I usually provide links, but I'm on my mobile right now, sorry.

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
The colors are right, correct? Just allocated to the wrong pixels? If that's the case, you must invert the transparency color in a software such as IrfanView. I believe that DJG has a YouTube video about how to do this. I usually provide links, but I'm on my mobile right now, sorry.
I don't think that's the case. Do you mean random pixels blotted everywhere not even resembling the character? No, that's not it. Or do you mean the right colors, just spread around the character in the incorrect order? No, that's not it either.

It resembles the shape of the character, but it's just the wrong colors. When I import the right picture with the right colors on the 9th palette, which is the first one to show up, and save while checking Export Image, Export Palette, and Automatically Fix Pointers, it doesn't work. It saves perfectly fine over the 9th palette, but I open the game and it's still the wrong palette. Not the same as the 9th, though; it's some random other palette with pinks and stuff.

And if I go to its other default palettes, which there are only 67 of them, the original sprite palette (the one that isn't edited) isn't there.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm having a little problem in my romhack, which i think the images attached show

So this is me on a certain map, where this glitch happens.

The problem occurs after I open my bag, or if I battle the one trainer in the room (the guy with the cape).

After you go back to the map, you become a different person. Your guy doesn't move, instead, you become the guy in front of the elevator.

And you can move him, which lasts until you leave the map.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? There are a couple scripts on the map, but I don't think they are causing the problem. Here is the map before the battle:

where the elevator guy has a normal message script, the old man and your rival disappear after the battle, the guy next to the cases says one thing before the battle and another thing after the battle, and the guy in the cape talks, battles you, a flag is set which causes the people to leave and text to change, and then he says something different after you beat him. This all works fine if I leave the map via the stairs and come back, after the glitch occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

One or more of the OWs in that map probably have their movement set as 'Look Down'. Changing it to 'No Movement' will most likely fix your problem.

karatekid552

Years
One thing I was curious about - how did JPAN manage to add specials to the game? I know ASM, so I can understand how most of his routines work (at least in a vague way), however I don't understand how he made them compatible with the "special" and "special2" commands in scripting.

I'm guessing that there is some table somewhere that has pointers to each special in order, and he just expanded / exploited that table, but I'm not sure. And, even if I'm right, I can't find any information on where such a table would exist (or even if it does).

EDIT: After doing a little more searching, I realized that he didn't add specials, but instead replaced duplicate, useless, or nonfuctional specials. However, I am still confused as to how he knew what pointers to replace to make his custom routines work with the "special" and "special2" commands.

There is a perfect table, with a ton of non-functional specials. If you look at his nice Study of the Special and Special2 commands, you will see that he researched what every command was. Since the table is in order, he simply went to the slots in the table for thw broken/useless specials and changed the pointers to those of his new specials.

If you truely want to know how the table works with the command, basically, we take Special 0x184 and goto the special loading routnie, where the 0x184 into a register. Then, it is multiplyed by 4 (the number of bytes in a pointer, and the length of most entires in most tables) and added to the start offset of the special table. Now, you have the offset that the pointer to special 0x184 is at. That routine is then run, and everything is good.

One or more of the OWs in that map probably have their movement set as 'Look Down'. Changing it to 'No Movement' will most likely fix your problem.

If this doesn't work, I have a solution guarnteed to work that I have posted on here multiple times.

I don't think that's the case. Do you mean random pixels blotted everywhere not even resembling the character? No, that's not it. Or do you mean the right colors, just spread around the character in the incorrect order? No, that's not it either.

It resembles the shape of the character, but it's just the wrong colors. When I import the right picture with the right colors on the 9th palette, which is the first one to show up, and save while checking Export Image, Export Palette, and Automatically Fix Pointers, it doesn't work. It saves perfectly fine over the 9th palette, but I open the game and it's still the wrong palette. Not the same as the 9th, though; it's some random other palette with pinks and stuff.

And if I go to its other default palettes, which there are only 67 of them, the original sprite palette (the one that isn't edited) isn't there.

The images are 256 color, which means when you create them, the original sprite needs to come out of the image editor in 256 color, with all of the palettes on a specific row. If I remember correctly, Oak uses rows 3 & 4 (counting 0 as a row), the hero/heroine use rows 5 & 6, and the rival uses rows 3 & 4. Also, the transparent color needs to be the very first color in the entire 256 palette. When you overwirte the palettes in APE, only insert the new 32 color rows for each sprite, not all 256 colors.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Alright, I tried searching this on this thread, but didn't get the answer, maybe I'm missed some syntax? Oh might as well refresh the wall (sry if this has been asked multiple times)

Well I tried to insert some 4x2 grid tree tiles. I know the normal ratio is 3x2 so sue me, this is what my question brought up.

How do I get around extending the border block dimensions to 3x2 tiles? My 4x2 tiles won't fit in there, and I don't want to expand the whole map and add trees on the sides so that the border block cannot be seen. I want to know if there is a way to expand it?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
Alright, I tried searching this on this thread, but didn't get the answer, maybe I'm missed some syntax? Oh might as well refresh the wall (sry if this has been asked multiple times)

Well I tried to insert some 4x2 grid tree tiles. I know the normal ratio is 3x2 so sue me, this is what my question brought up.

How do I get around extending the border block dimensions to 3x2 tiles? My 4x2 tiles won't fit in there, and I don't want to expand the whole map and add trees on the sides so that the border block cannot be seen. I want to know if there is a way to expand it?

You can choose "professional header view" under the settings section.
Then go to your header and change the border block size to 4x2. :)
Hope that helps.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years

Well the special tables are at these offsets, found by me: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7669647&postcount=342
To add some do what Jpan did. Specials are just aligned ASM routines built for easy access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back