• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esmas

General
Years
I haven't hacked in a while, so here's a simple question for you: in-game, my maps' names don't show up when I enter them. For example, as soon as I enter TOWN1, the name "TOWN1" is supposed to show up in the corner, but it doesn't. I've checked Advance Map and the option "Show name on entering" is checked. Is this a permanent glitch, or can it be fixed?

What game are you using? By default, the map names are supposed to appear. IDK, that's all I can think of, unless you are using Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and you are trying to overwrite the secret bases...
I'm using Ruby, and I'm not trying to overwrite the secret bases... :|

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

I'm using Ruby, and I'm not trying to overwrite the secret bases... :|

Check what the other towns and cities use. In Fire Red, they don't use "show name", they use "show village name" or "show city name" or something like that. Dunno about Ruby. Copy the other cities. =|

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
The problem is, forestw785 is using a custom tileset, or would it still work?
It doesn't madder that he is using custom tileset. I use this method, and I use custom tilesets. I never liked going throw those gate houses so I removed them in my hack, and I got the same problem, but with some experimenting, and searching throw a clean firered rom, I started using this method, and I never had those problems ever again. :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
Has anyone found where the tables for the battle frontier in Emerald are? I'm fairly sure it pulls pretty much all the pokemon used in it from a local table that contains the species and it's associated move pool for that instance. I'm not looking to change the battles, the rules, or anything like that...just the pokemon the trainers inside uses. Reasons for this would include things like a reordering of a 'dex. (grass types using fire moves?) I'm not entirely sure if there's any data in the tables it pulls from apart from it's species number and the movepool for that instance. Any help in editing this table would be very much appreciated. Hell, just an offset for it might do enough. Thanks.

The Battle Frontier looks up the species according to their dex number though. If you were to say, replace Lombre with Cyndaquil, then in the Battle Frontier, you would be able to find a random Cyndaquil with moves like Mega Drain and Water Gun. Even if you replaced Lombre's movepool in the game, the Battle Frontier wouldn't recognize this change because it uses it's own special custom movepool for every pokemon you see used within it, sorta like how Gym Leaders and other important trainers have custom movesets for their pokemon.

My question is basically asking how to edit those movepools used in the battle frontier, so I can avoid awkward moments like that. Where they are in the ROM, what kind of format they use, etc. Though just an offset alone might help; I'm hoping I can figure out the rest on my own.

Bumping one more time in hopes that there's someone who's researched this, though at this point maybe I'm getting too hopeful. What I really wanted to do though was ask some *real* simple questions that people would actually know, and could give simple answers to.

A) How would I go about changing the species used in the Birch/Wally sequences in Emerald? (Zigzagoon fought saving birch and used by Wally and the Ralts Wally catches)
B) How can I remove the ugly bag size limit that Emerald imposes on you, or at least make it a big enough size to where it becomes trivial?
C) What exactly does callasm 0x71A371 do, if anything?

(U) version of Emerald, by the way. Thanks in advance for any replies.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Oh, that's right: I had a question.

Everyone (I hope) knows that in C/S/G, when you went to the CONTINE/NEW GAME/OPTIONS screen, there was a song playing. Is it possible to do that in FireRed, or would that require ASM. I have zilch knowledge in ASM, and I hope that you don't need it...
Yeah you will need asm to load the song. :c

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
Pokemon used I believe totally depends on the trainer you're fighting.

The text can be edited through a hex editor or text editor of your choice.

Oh, ok. I didn't think about that. Thank you very much for answering my question.

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years
I know this has probably been addressed before, but when I use Advance-map and insert a map, and test it on VBA it is just a black screen and it freezes. Help?

SKRoy

Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
(sorry for my Englisch. I'm dutch and my Englisch is not very good.)

You now you are in the game for example Pokémon Emerald than you must battle against Rayquaza you see the icon of Rayquaza and as you talk to the icon than you come in the battle. My question is: How can I import such a icon as Rayquaza but than as a Deoxys? I can't find it in the tutorial topics, so thats why I asked it.

Please help me (or maby you can give me a link to a tutorial).

~SKRoy

Help me please! I cant find any tutorial for this...

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
It doesn't madder that he is using custom tileset. I use this method, and I use custom tilesets. I never liked going throw those gate houses so I removed them in my hack, and I got the same problem, but with some experimenting, and searching throw a clean firered rom, I started using this method, and I never had those problems ever again. :)

There is another way. You can use tiles from the Secondary Tileset in the connecting map you mentioned, as long as they aren't visible towards the connection. For instance, in half of the map, then the other half (with that connection) can have clean, Primary Tileset tiles. As long as you can't see the tiles when at the connection point, they won't look glitched when moving, and you can use them in the map.

I know this has probably been addressed before, but when I use Advance-map and insert a map, and test it on VBA it is just a black screen and it freezes. Help?

It has, and normally I would request searchig with the Search function. However, that may come up with pages, so... Did you warp to the map, as in through a door? If so, make the map 1 tile bigger width and length, and then change it back to what it was. That apparently works.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial said:
I'll show an example script fragment. This is a "checkpokemon" only usable for Fire Red.
Code:
Code:
setvar 0x8004 0x19
special2 0x800D 0x17C
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto @have

Replace 0x19 with whatever Pokemon you want in hex.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
A) How would I go about changing the species used in the Birch/Wally sequences in Emerald? (Zigzagoon fought saving birch and used by Wally and the Ralts Wally catches)
B) How can I remove the ugly bag size limit that Emerald imposes on you, or at least make it a big enough size to where it becomes trivial?
C) What exactly does callasm 0x71A371 do, if anything?

(U) version of Emerald, by the way. Thanks in advance for any replies.

A) Through ASM hacking.
B) Just like A), except it would be much harder, because "removing" the bag size limit means having more space to store the items; in other words, you need to find some unused RAM area, make it so the bag would store/get the data from there, and also make sure that everything gets saved and loaded correctly, when saving/loading the game respectively. Not a piece of cake, really.
C) It doesn't appear to be a valid routine at all, at least in Emerald. Where did you find that?

Doublet

Zelda PWNs!
Years
Black Screen Fix

Bassically, you have your Emulator set to defualt settings. You need to change it so your rom works. All you have to do is go to "Options", "Emulator", "Save Type", and set it to Automatic, and Flash 128k... (Or something like that).

Also, since it was save type, you'll most likely have to redownload your rom. Hope this helps! :p

Update: Oh, and guys, I'm still expeiriencing my problem with the tiles. Could someone help?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2013
Where does the evolution data start in hex for fire red? Or any values that I could use from any of the 3rd-gen games to find it would help.
*Bump*

I added some new evolutions stones, and they don't seem to work quite right when I select them with YAPE so... I'd like to try and manually edit the evolution data, but I can't find it. :x

EDIT: Nevermind, I just discovered the file compare feature in my hex editor.

-_-; It still doesn't work.

I copied the asm from fire stone onto the red scarf, then changed the index number etc. appropriately.

Evolution data works as follows,

07 = method of evolution (07 = by stone)
5F = requirement for evolution (5F = fire stone)
26 = which Pokemon to evolve into.

I simply replaced the 5F with my stone, FE. I go into the game, use the stone, everything appears correctly, It doesn't say "No use." on the Pokemon that I altered, but when I select the Pokemon it just says, "It won't have any effect." And yes, the national dex is enabled, so what am I missing here?

Last edited:

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
How do edit the animation data in Emerald? Not as in the secondary images but as in the physical movements(e.g. Marill skipping merrily or Ampharos flashing)?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Evolution data works as follows,

07 = method of evolution (07 = by stone)
5F = requirement for evolution (5F = fire stone)
26 = which Pokemon to evolve into.

I simply replaced the 5F with my stone, FE. I go into the game, use the stone, everything appears correctly, It doesn't say "No use." on the Pokemon that I altered, but when I select the Pokemon it just says, "It won't have any effect." And yes, the national dex is enabled, so what am I missing here?

It doesn't work, because... No-one knows. It just won't for some reason. Perhaps it has something to do (wait... Most chances it has something to do) with the game engine. You created a new item, said it evolved Pokemon, but something in the game engine says it won't work. It may require further hacking to find.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2013

It doesn't work, because... No-one knows. It just won't for some reason. Perhaps it has something to do (wait... Most chances it has something to do) with the game engine. You created a new item, said it evolved Pokemon, but something in the game engine says it won't work. It may require further hacking to find.
Well, that's a drag. I guess I won't be able to include the Sinnoh evolution stones in my hack, but now I know which Pokemon not to include. Thanks for the help.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

What happens if you put the Fire Stone in your custom evolution data? Does it work that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back