• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are hacked pokemon banned from competitive?

Kyzy

Big Cat
Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    Theres lots of claims going around about hacked pokemon AND any pokemon being bred from them being unable to battle competitively, as the online battle system will stop you-- is this true? Youtubers are claiming it but I can't find much evidence anywhere.

I'm worried someone might trade me a hacked pokemon, I breed from it, then I get banned from competitive something. I do not hack and never have and never will, but I know theres a lot of hacked pokemon around.

People are saying even the offspring will classify it as being 'hacked' too thus, generations away in another pokemon, theres a possibility of THAT pokemon being banned just because its great great grandfather was hacked.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? I'm a paranoid trainer. :P

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • This has been a thing for a while now; since XY, if I recall correctly. There is a system implemented that prevents illegal Pokemon from being used online (Pokemon that were genned but still legal, as in, able to obtain through in-game means, will be overlooked). However, this should also prevent them from being traded, so don't concern yourself over that. I also believe that offspring of these Pokemon would have no way of being illegal unless they themselves were also modified.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • So, some things.

First off, the Pokémon Company is not a fascistic organization with Draconian practices. Meaning, they're not gonna ban you from online play for something that could be an honest mistake. Pokemon was created as a game that encourages player interaction - it's what said the series apart from stuff like Dragon Warrior Monsters back in the 90's. One of the two original forms of link cable interaction was trading. Game Freak and TPCi want you to trade with other players, not to be spooked out of one of the focal points of the game.

You'll see some responses about severe punishments to deter rule breaking, I'm sure. My own interactions with the Pokemon Company at events and over Twitter has built confidence that they're just looking to make sure that no one is exploiting their code for unfair advantages.

So if you're worried about a Pokémon's fidelity, level ot up and check its stats. Make sure it can legally access the Ability it has. If it's an event Pokémon, Bulbapedia keeps an archive of all Pokémon distributed by events in all generations up to minute details. Do your homework if you have suspicions. But trust your friends, man.

Back