• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are new Pokémon overstylized?

Years
  • Hey guys... Been a while since I played D/P and didn't like as much as the earlier games. One of the reasons was that I didn't really like a lot of the new Pokémon (except for Leafeon, which I absolutely loved).

So yeah, recently I came to see the new B/W Pokémon, and my first reaction was... Digimon?

Spoiler:

In my personal opinion, I think Pokémon design has gotten way too over the top. I know it's the appeal for younger players, but as a veteran Pokémon player I can't help but cringe at the sight of Pokémon like these:

Are they starting to look way too avant-garde? XD Maybe too artificial? I remember when Pokémon were more animal and organic in nature. I personally liked it better that way. New Pokémon have too many spikes, unnecessary tattoos and colors for my taste.

I know some of them look kind of cool, take Samurott, for instance. I really like his design as a creature. But as a Pokémon, his appearance would have led me to think he was a legendary had he appeared a couple of generations before. Wouldn't you think the same?
    Spoiler:

Anyway, what do you think? Are Pokémon getting too Digimonish for your taste? Do you like the new ones better?

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    You're just jealous 'cos we didn't have a flying robot golem pokémon back in gen 1.

Think of it this way, if the generations were reversed and Red & Green were the new games, everyone would be complaining about Ditto, Magnemite/Magneton, Voltorb/Electrode, Jynx, and other pokémon.
    Plus, everyone would also be complaining about the lack of Steel, Dark, Ghost, and Dragon types.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I agree that they're more detailed, just from comparing things such as Squirtle and Tirtouga, but not necessarily in a bad way. The animal-like Pokemon honestly look more animal-like than in earlier Gens, while the ones not based on animals are much more creative. Although once I did look at how many Pokemon were very obviously based on animals in 1 vs 5 and they came out to within 10 of each other, so I never understand when people say that there are more animal-based ones in earlier generations.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • You're just jealous 'cos we didn't have a flying robot golem pokémon back in gen 1.

Think of it this way, if the generations were reversed and Red & Green were the new games, everyone would be complaining about Ditto, Magnemite/Magneton, Voltorb/Electrode, Jynx, and other pokémon.
    Plus, everyone would also be complaining about the lack of Steel, Dark, Ghost, and Dragon types.
    Amen to this.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with any of the new generations. Pokemon wanted to keep it simple with the first generations, if that added complex pokemon on GB/GBC they probably wouldn't have panned out to well. If you are starting a brand keep it simple and work up from there, at least that is what I would do. To mean it seems they used to use more animals but when you get to 5 generations you are going to start having limited amount of new animals you use to then they start having to do variations, add complexity so they don't see similiar to past pokes, and add more artificial pokemon. I love the complexity they put into a pokemon that way I know well at least they aren't half assing me. The only one I don't like that you actually showed was Klinklang, I mean where is the diversity in between it's first to it's last evolution, just seems dull, uncreative pokemon. And if people say they are running out of ideas then wouldn't the be coming up with more dull pokemon or pokemon that look very similar to previous pokemon? Cause I am seeing pokemon they don't even look anything like previous pokemon which is what I want to an extent. And Pokemon as Digimon xD considering Pokemon was out before Digimon.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Anyway, what do you think?
    The only thing I think is the fact that the latest generation of Pokemon has "barrow" some body parts from the previous generations.

Are Pokémon getting too Digimonish for your taste?
    Thats not even a word

Do you like the new ones better?
    They feel the same as the other generations.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    When you compare Gen 5 directly to Gen 1, it does seem very "overstylized". But if you look at the gradual evolution the series has had, it's really not that bad. I've honestly grown to like the gradual change in designs. Each generation has its own style and feel to it. It's a lot more interesting than it would have been if they stuck with the style of the first generation. If every new generation came along and all the new Pokemon had the same simplified design style, we'd grow bored of it. I adore the first and second generation Pokemon as much as anyone, but I also adore how every generation since has brought with it a new and original style of monster designs.

Years
  • I can agree that the new Pokemon is getting more and more stylistic (compare Emboar to Charizard, lol), but that doesn't necessarily mean bad.

If you think about it, the games are designed in an actual timeline, so one can figure that the more stylistic designs of next generations are due to the growing influence of technology and humans in-game throughout the (Pokemon) years.

Years
  • Great, I love threads like these!

I agree that they're more detailed, just from comparing things such as Squirtle and Tirtouga, but not necessarily in a bad way. The animal-like Pokemon honestly look more animal-like than in earlier Gens, while the ones not based on animals are much more creative. Although once I did look at how many Pokemon were very obviously based on animals in 1 vs 5 and they came out to within 10 of each other, so I never understand when people say that there are more animal-based ones in earlier generations.
    It's not that there's less animal-based designs, it's that they're generally not as organic or animal-like. That's what bugs me the most, anyways.

Spoiler:

Those are just three examples, but there are plenty more. Generally the older generations paid more attention to anatomical features such as realistic body proportions, realistic animal features, and other things such as bone structure ( It appears that Unova has more animal-like Pokemon than Sinnoh, though). As the generations go on we've begun to see more and more Pokemon with a more "cartoonish" style. Game Freak tried to adopt a more western-style when designing the Unova Pokemon. They even hired an American to create some Pokemon. Personally, I find the more animal-like Pokemon to be aesthetically pleasing.

Amen to this.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with any of the new generations. Pokemon wanted to keep it simple with the first generations, if that added complex pokemon on GB/GBC they probably wouldn't have panned out to well. If you are starting a brand keep it simple and work up from there, at least that is what I would do. To mean it seems they used to use more animals but when you get to 5 generations you are going to start having limited amount of new animals you use to then they start having to do variations, add complexity so they don't see similiar to past pokes, and add more artificial pokemon. I love the complexity they put into a pokemon that way I know well at least they aren't half assing me. The only one I don't like that you actually showed was Klinklang, I mean where is the diversity in between it's first to it's last evolution, just seems dull, uncreative pokemon. And if people say they are running out of ideas then wouldn't the be coming up with more dull pokemon or pokemon that look very similar to previous pokemon? Cause I am seeing pokemon they don't even look anything like previous pokemon which is what I want to an extent. And Pokemon as Digimon xD considering Pokemon was out before Digimon.
    Remember that we all have different views on what's aesthetically pleasing. You may not see a problem, but others do.

Yes, the newer Pokemon have tons of features on them, but we can probably blame technologically advancements for that. Game Freak and do more with a sprite than they could back in the 90s. I think this picture does a good job at displaying what's happening to the franchise.

Spoiler:

It's not exactly a bad thing.

Yeah, it's inevitable that someone's going to post Mr. Mime or Magnemite to "prove" Pokemon designs haven't changed a bit. >.>

Last edited:
    Years
  • I appreciate everyone's opinions! I didn't say it's a bad thing, I said that personally I don't like the new approach. To me Pokémon will always be better off organic and that's part of the reason I love Leafeon and Sawsbuck so much!

Anyway, what do you think?
    The only thing I think is the fact that the latest generation of Pokemon has "barrow" some body parts from the previous generations.

Are Pokémon getting too Digimonish for your taste?
    Thats not even a word
    :t354:TG

It is a word! Look it up. Meanwhile, "barrow" is a castrated pig. XD

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Over-stylized, yes, though another gen five has convinced me of is that over-stylizing isn't always bad. Gen five is the first generation where I actually like the bigger number of Pokemon. So, while they're pretty weird in design, it makes them real appealing in some way, to me at least.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I guess that the Pokemon's design staple is basic and not detailed. A few pokemon in gen I (Blastoise, Nidoking, Venusaur.) have very detailed and robotic design. Gen V has a lot of these designs, (Haxours, Bisharp, Zekrom.) but it still has it's fair share of basic desgins. The style of pokemon has changed slightly and pepole really overemphasis the changes in Pokemon desgins.

Years
  • I do agree with you there, but I think they're just trying a bit too hard to make Pokemon look unique. I for one, prefer the simplicity of Pokemon like Octillery and Tentacruel, which are both unique, yet simple. Out of all the 5th Gen Pokemon, however, Jellicent probably had the best design, which also was simple.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • The Pokemon have gotten more and more detailed, yes. But, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of Pokemon are based on real-life animals and objects. Back in Gen. 1, these bases were usually simple (House cat =/= Meowth) so the Pokemon in turn were simple. Now, look at newer Pokemon like Hydregion. It's based off of the mythical Hydra, which is suppose to be a fearsome, multi-headed dragon. Back in Generation 1, Hydregion probably wouldn't look as fearsome as it does now.

For all we know, these Gen. 5 Pokemon have been ideas that GF wanted to make reality for a long time, but couldn't because of graphical limitations. It's a case of "Ideas before the Technology", if you will.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    yes i think they styled them to hard but it is a good thing we need change

Back