• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are The Games Falling?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    The next gen consoles are here and it looks like people are excited. But how many people? As I've grown up I've seen the rise of the PS2 and XBOX, the hype of the PS3 and XBOX360 and the displeasure with games, consoles and everything in the gaming industry today. People have their tastes and are allowed to like whatever they so please. But it sounds like so many people are just fed up.

- New Games, no sequels
    There are so few original games these days, compared to the countless sequels. I think more gamers would return to the industry if new games were introduced instead of Call of Duty 7: It's Suburban War 3. Or Final Fantasy XX-2. There are new original games out with the consoles. (Ryse and Watchdogs) but how long will it take for more to come out?

- Multiplayer for sequels
    I've been keeping up with Halo 4's play count regularly and it's shameful to see. Compared to Halo 3 and Reach, the amount of people playing Halo 4 is pitiful. It just shows that because it's a sequel, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be good. And Call of Duty; There's not much to change about CoD that hasn't been done already. What? New killstreaks, new guns that do the same thing as guns did in the previous installation? But I mean CoD's a bit different because so many players are still loyal to it.

- Stories
    I can level with people having trouble making new games because so much has been done, but, you have to try, right? Everything is such a cookie cutter-carbon copy, that some of them are the almost the same. Call of Duty for example. How many people would agree with me that Ghosts looks almost identical to Modern Warfare 3, the story is very similar, characters are pretty much the same from game to game.

So what aboot <- intentional Canadian jargen - you? How do you think the gaming industry is fairing?

S3venAces

Amateur Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Seems like a lot of big companies are afraid to try something new due to the possibility of it not being commercially successful. Even one of my favorite gaming companies (Nintendo) seems to be "playing it safe", at least when it comes to Mario.

I dunno, it just seems like game developers refuse to take any risks whatsoever with their games because they don't want it to deviate too far from the "original" or what people are used to. To be honest, I can't really blame them considering how poorly people take even the slightest changes.

tl;dr It seems like the game industry is afraid. To be honest, I just want to see more creative high budget titles, but companies won't invest in anything they think won't sell well.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
    I'm still waiting for a new Star Fox game, which the Wii, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U didn't get at all.
    The Nintendo 3DS only had a Remake of this game...after a gap of 4 years.
    We're nearing the 7th year of no new Star Fox game now, last one being Star Fox Command, which released in January 2007.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    To be fair, playing any new Final Fantasy game is basically like starting up a new series, especially with the paradigm shift in recent years.

As far as stories go, I'm not sure. Seeing games like Virtue's Last Reward, Phoenix Wright, and even in the West The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite (and heck, even Halo 4, offering the most compelling story in a campaign since Reach), as well as the plethora of creative Indie games such as The Stanley Parable, I'm not really seeing any drop in story quality. Actually, I've seen a RISE in story quality, as well as Western interest in story-based games (and, thus, in Eastern games) this year as well as the second half of last year.

Honestly, I think 2013's been a great year for gaming that has only reflected something of an innovative revolution, even with people actually crying out against the gaming megaliths that prided themselves on half-baked sequels and cash-ins. The masses have started to care more, and so have developers (since they pretty much had to).

As for as new games go, I think things have been pretty stable, especially with the influx of Indie releases and original Q4 2013/Q1-4 2014 games that have been announced. It really seems fine to me. What's more, there's practically been a storm of Eastern releases, and recent ones, too. Things have been pretty bad for my wallet.

So I'd say that gaming's in a good place and it's only getting better. There was a dark period from 2009-2012 filled with unhealthy fads, rehashes, and other things that were generally harmful to the gaming industry, but since the second half of this year things have only changed for the better.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Are The Games Falling?

jay kay ppl ;)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Apparently it sounds like you've never heard of The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, the Wonderful 101 (Nintendo's newest IP which everyone seems to forget whenever the topic is brought up regarding Nintendo), Puppeteer, Knack, Ryse: Son of Rome, and Titanfall, all of them at which are AAA original titles. So far, the Last of Us is also getting some VGA nominees whereas the rest got mixed reviews from critics. Games aren't falling, it's simply going under another stagnated fad like in the 90's, where every company tried to cash-in on Sonic's success.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    Apparently it sounds like you've never heard of The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, the Wonderful 101 (Nintendo's newest IP which everyone seems to forget whenever the topic is brought up regarding Nintendo), Puppeteer, Knack, Ryse: Son of Rome, and Titanfall, all of them at which are AAA original titles. So far, the Last of Us is also getting some VGA nominees whereas the rest got mixed reviews from critics. Games aren't falling, it's simply going under another stagnated fad like in the 90's, where every company tried to cash-in on Sonic's success.
    Me said:
    (Ryse and Watchdogs) but how long will it take for more to come out?

Clearly you didnt read.

Anyway, Im not saying there aren't original games, Im saying they're few and far between.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I dunno about that. In the past year, there has been an influx of originals, even from companies that could (and probably did) expand their bigger IPs, such as Ubisoft and (eerily enough) Activison. As far as the West goes, but Square Enix and Nippon Ichi have done the same in the East.

TY

Its kinda different. Most AAA games do add nothing new and have horrible stories (CoD, Need for Spees, etc.)
    But not all games are going downhill. Some games DO add new things and have a amazing story.
    Games like Far Cry 3, StarCraft and Borderlands 2 had good stories and cool features their previous games didnt have.

Also stop the sodding hate between console and PC, its silly and stupid xD

Back