• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are the games slowly becoming too difficult to write about?

Cid

Years
    We all know how unique the world of PokéSpe is, compared with the world of Pokémon in the main game series or in the anime. I believe a huge factor that contributed to that uniqueness would be the simplicity of the older games. Because the first few generations of Pokémon games did not delve into too much detail with things, the writers of the manga were free to write about the Pokémon world in the way that they see it themselves (and notably, Satoshi Tajiri believes that the manga is the closest depiction of what he thought of the Pokémon world as in the series).

But slowly, the games became more detailed. This can be seen in recent generations. The plot was emphasized more. The characters were given more personality than ever. Even the world became more detailed than it was in the past. Suddenly, everything was already defined to an extent, and there wasn't much imagination involved from the player's part to create what he/she saw the world as.

This wouldn't be a problem with the anime, because it actually tried to follow the games more closely than the manga. However, the manga became amazing and unique due to it having enough leeway in the past to add more personality to the characters already present in the game. Now, the game already takes care of a lot of background that the characters have: take for example, N. He had a complete backstory written for him that was already present in the game. Even the rivals had their own personality taken care of by the games. Thankfully, the player characters were still silent protagonists, which helps in allowing the writers to write whatever they want those characters to be like.

But still, is it possible that this might slowly result into a loss of the originality in what the writers write?
    Will the manga slowly become too similar to the games that its own charm that even Tajiri applauded fades away?
    Are the games slowly becoming too difficult to write about?

What do you think?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Well by slowly, it would be rather really, really slow. There's no limit to imagination, and this would be no exception, although there would be a few limitations as you mentioned before, with the games having a more prominent stand on other character's personality. But, this really never stopped the manga before, as a few characters had already changed quite a bit from the games.

I disagree with the whole anime based off the games thing. The manga is more like the games rather than the anime. The manga still has quite a few uses on other moves and abilities outside of battle, such as actually using HM's. They even use levels when they show the protagonists' pokemon. But, both manga and anime choose to have their unique battling style, with the anime not dwelling on evolution while the manga is more and more dependent on evolution for strength, as seen in the HeartGold and SoulSilver chapters with Gold's Togetic.

I really doubt that the games are getting harder to write about. The possibilities are endless, and the ideas can only get crazier. The only restrictions the game actually inputs would be in-game events and also a bit of character personality here and there.

Lolipiece

Burst Warrior
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    Lack of originality? There's plenty of it in each chapter.

I think the more detailed story in the games only make it better for Adventures to adapt in its own, special way.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I think the more detailed story in the games only make it better for Adventures to adapt in its own, special way.

LOL! Puns are funny.

I agree. If anything, the Manga-kas can still adapt the game stories, add stuff and even subtract stuff. There's simply no true limit.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I'm pretty sure I already write some things here

anyway, I don't think it will be much harder for Kusaka/any other mangaka to develop the story. Instead, it will be much more possibilities for them to develop.
    Ghetsis and N have pasts, but it is not so detailed. There, Kusaka/mangaka should have the chance to write their own version of Ghetsis and N. There is also the 6 Sages that doesn't have very definite role in the game. Once again, Kusaka/any mangaka can take this fact to their advantage.
    The story become more detailed yes, but one can add more details to that Detail. Imagination know no boundaries, I think.

Back