• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you picky about your team members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Whenever I make a team, there cannot be two or more Pokémon of the same type (unless they have useful secondary types), and I generally make it so that I have at least one super-effective move for each type on my team, and I am resistant to as many types as possible. I'll always have a ground-type Pokémon or a Pokémon with a ground type move to defeat electric types.

I think that's about it.

Inpu

Rocket Lieutenant
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2010
    I think that the main thing that excludes certain PKMN from my team is evolution. If it doesn't evolve, I won't use it; it just really bugs me for some reason. Oh, and I always have to have a member who can Surf and one who can Fly; I use a slave for anything else I may need.

I've used a Gengar since Red; but he's been the only constant in my team. I only ever have one team, but every gen I change at least one PKMN out. Its usually one that I wasn't too happy with anyway, or one that didn't feel quite right in my team, and gets replaced when I find something better.

In Red, I did worry about type spread, so I ran a mixed team (fire, water, ground, electric, flying, etc.). But as of Platinum, I was able to run a split team of Ghost/Dark, waiting for the day to come when I could finally run a mono-Ghost team.

Needless to say, as of B/W, I'm pretty much set forever =D

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2018
    I'm seriously picky, but one point is the most important - only speedy attackers. no slow pokes, and no defensive ones.

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Very, I don't care if my Pidgeot/Entei get completely destroyed by every second Pokemon, they look awesome and therefore they are on my team :).

Same as real life really, if you are ugly/fat I won't hang around you :p Joking of course.

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Yeah, I guess. I need to have a fire, water, electric, and psychic type not matter what. The other two, I really do not care about, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I generally don't worry about Types or general qualities of the Pokemon I put on my teams. So long as I have at least a Surfer (which is of course always Water-Type) I'm fine. Fliers are nice, too. My main thing is every time I play through a game I use Pokemon I've never used before. And I hafta at least sort of like the design. That's usually not a problem as there are only a very small handful of Pokemon I really dislike.

Otherwise it doesn't matter much. I'll happily use a team of less than six, or a team with grossly unbalanced Types. 8D;;

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
    Years
  • I've been into fire types since gen 1, I also like electric types. but to get through the game I use a pretty diverse group to cover all the hms and strengths/defenses. but once I beat red and get the pokemon in the hidden tower. This time around I've developed a whole new appreciation for Eevee's evolutions.

Years
  • I'm extremely picky about my team members. They have to have good designs and solid attacks. Usually they have to be physical attack oriented too.

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I do my research beforehand and choose a party of 6 based mostly on base stats. Afterwards I look for the Pokemon I want with the ability I want, beneficial nature, and preferably female for breeding purposes. Takes me hours to find a single Pokemon most of the time. D: Typing is generally less of a deal for me. As long as I have decent coverage and no universal weakness, then I'm fine with doubling up on types.

Years
  • I have a horrible habit of sticking to the ones I know best (EG. Golem, Alakazam, Articuno, Raichu, you get the idea).

My preference is fast or strong pokemon, whilst trying to make sure I go first (It's why I try to base my battles on paralysing them over most other statuses, maybe add confusion if I can to it). It's a bit of a horrible habit, as it leaves me a bit one dimensional when battling.

If I see others that look very good however (Be it stats wise or in battle videos), then I'll train it up and see how it goes.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    For me, A bird type that evolves at least once is a must. If I'm playing a new game, i'll get pokemon that are common but strong.

On the GBA version of the games.

I alwas had to have ONE dragon pokemon

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I just usually try to have a grass type a fire type and a water type and usually a pokemon that can fly which is usually my Charizard

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
  • Not picky. At all. Hell, I'd use NFE pokemon. But there are some pokemon that somehow make my way on my team in certain generations, no matter how many times I play it through.
    RBY: Cloyster
    GSC: Forretress
    RSE: Ninjask
    DPPt: Spiritomb

Also, I tend to be defensive.

RUBY8

POKEMON FTW
    Years
  • Yes I am very picky especially on natures and genders. I always want the best from my team in every game and look up what it is good at and which nature suits it better. I'm also very picky in its moveset I really want them to each have at least one move that covers its weakness, one move that cause status change, and one that benefits from its type and the other to be a emergency situation move like hyper beam.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2010
    I admit that I usually don't take pokemon that I like, even if their stats are amazing. You would probably see me with a pokemon that looks awesome, rather than one that's extremely powerful. I need to change this if I ever wanted to competitively battle, though.

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
  • 1. My starter.
    2. Native bird.
    3. Various types, exception is Tobeca who's my Togetic on HG and Senn who's my lickle HM Slave/Water-type Sentret.
    4. All of them need to know one useful move, with the exception of the swapped-out ones and said Starter.

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
    Years
  • I'm not really that picky, I try to avoid universal weaknesses and also to use at least a few new pokemon each playthrough. I only keep my starter on my first playthrough :]. Thanks to my constantly changing teams, I've come to respect pokemon such as Volbeat (which is awesome, I love it now x)) and Poliwrath (fell in love with it in Crystal), but also to dislike certain pokemon (I tried to use a Relicanth once, it sucked pretty hard against the Hoenn E4 :/).
    There are a few pokemon that frequently make it on to my team, such as:
    Graveler/Golem; Hariyama; Walrein; Crobat.
    Lately, I've come to respect Ampharos and Slowbro.
    I also like to have a surfer and a flier, for ease of transport.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Lately, I've ALWAYS had at one Fire, Water, and Grass type on my team. Also, every time I play a region more than once, I HAVE to use pokemon I never have before.
    I also usually keep my starter to the end, except in Platinum I used an Empoleon and swapped it out for a Poliwrath after the E4 because it kept getting KOed in E4 pre national dex by Garchomp's Earthquake. In fact, I actually got very lucky and that was the only reason I beat the champion. I knew I would have no such luck for the Post Nat. Dex Cynthia. Poliwrath can probably withstand atleast one Earthquake from Garchomp, then possibly OHKO it back with Ice Punch, Or atleast get enough damage on it to finish it off with something else.
    Being picky about your teams, though, is actually a good help towards making a good team.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back