• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ark Silvanos' PokeSprite Center

After seeing the evolutions, which starter would you choose?

• Total voters
Years
Your sprites are pretty good, I think your best one is Sharket so far IMO
First two stages of the grass starter look kinda off, prolly because the base of the trunk feet? Are flattish - try curving it a little.
Dragix has nice shading but the head seems to be too small and at a wrong angle.
And Hemorrage's outline is too dark at the areas where the light hits, try softening up the lines with a lighter color.

About the outlines I generally use the darkest shade on your fakemon for the outline on the parts which are closest to the light source, dark colors (almost black but not quite) for the darker bits and black outline for the darkest bits.

Overall your sprites are pretty good, you just need to tweak them a lil'. ^_^

I was trying to get it to look like the dragix was kinda....looming over the other pokemon...thats y his head's at that angle. And i hated the fact that Onix and Steelix had impossibly huge heads compared to the body...i wanted to balance things out :P.
I'll probably redo the grass starters later and change the line shading, when i get the chance.

I redid the fire tiger, i think it looks a lot better now, but i'd love to hear ur guys' take on it:-

firetiger2r.png

Update:-

I also added the third fire tiger stage :- (again it seems a lil off :/)

firetiger3.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2016
Bumpdate:-

Added the alternate water starter :-
reefoalr.png

need some const crit on this please.

It's really odd.. It's like a water poney fused with a mermaid. It good don't get me wrong but your idea for this fakemon was really strange.

Years
I got tired of tigers :P....

i wanted to make a pokemon similar to the hippocampus in AoM....
somehow it didn't end up looking much like a pokemon (my brother seems to think it looks more like one of those "i love pony" or "rainbow pony" or whatever they're called :P)
but...i wanna continue this line.... i'll make the rest of the evo's and hopefully by then figure out how to make it more pokemon-y.....

Years
Second stage:-

Its got 2 versions, 1 with a fin and the other without....not my best sprite so i want a lot of feedback on how it can improve.

waterhorse2copy.png
fincorrcolt.png

and

waterhorse2nf.png
corrcoltnf.png

Update:
Changed the eye and added a ear :P....how could i forget a ear? (Adding it side by side for comparison)

Last edited:
Years
Bumpdate:-

Added the alternate water starter :-
reefoalr.png

need some const crit on this please.
One thing you might want to work on is the legs. They are a little stiff, a little too straight. You could try putting a bend in them at the knee. The hooves also look quite large compared to the rest of the body.

The highlighting is a little strange at the back (left side) where it appears to be coming from the side since it curves under the body and the shadow doesn't extend very far. I also think you could remove the highlight from the tail portion and stick with the medium and dark shades, or at least charge the shape of the highlight so that it follows the contour of the tail. Right now the shape of it is more in keeping with a light shiring on a sphere instead of a cylider, which is what the tail is closest to.
Second stage:-

Its got 2 versions, 1 with a fin and the other without....not my best sprite so i want a lot of feedback on how it can improve.

waterhorse2copy.png
fincorrcolt.png

and

waterhorse2nf.png
corrcoltnf.png

Update:
Changed the eye and added a ear :P....how could i forget a ear? (Adding it side by side for comparison)
You might want to adjust the outline around the nose, too, while you're at it. It's less square now, but the outline has a few extra pixels.

This is a good sprite. A couple of things, though. On the leg with the highlight we're looking at the side of it hoof. It would look more natural if it were turned slightly like the other hoof since the whole sprite is not in profile. The tail isn't as smooth a curve as it could be. The furthest right edge has an 8-pixel long line and it transitions into only 2-pixel long outlines on either end. Instead of a 2-8-2, maybe try 3-6-3 so it looks more gradual. You've also got an error near the bottom of the tail where some of the outline is off. I also think the lighting on the back of the tail is a little too large, that is, reaches too far toward the 'underside' of the sprite.

I like the version with the fin, but I don't like that it's at a 45 degree angle. Something a bit more verticle would look better, in my view.

Years
Update:-

i didn't want to make any new sprites till i redid my old ones. Contrary to what i thought, this was a very annoying job :P...

I'm still working on fixing Corrcolt, should have it done soon.

neway still not done, but i'm posting whats finished so far:-
Newly redone Barkid:-
barkid1.png

Newly redone Woodlo:-
wooldowip.png

redone reefoal (which i fixed b4 but hadn't uploaded) :-
reefoalwp.png

Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Alright, here we go! I love looking at other people's sprites to see how the styles differ and what makes a great sprites. Here's some CC, as we call it here:

1. I've noticed a recurring theme in all your sprites, and frankly, it's a big turn-off for me. The color choices, for many of the sprites, are just very...err...gross? Sorry, I'm not trying to be harsh. Here are the ones that I specifically think need serious pallet changes:
barkid1.png
- and the evolutions of it
f81d269c01.png
enamelord.png
eleswine.png

fincorrcolt.png
-and its sub-evo (by the way, I like it with the fin more)

Your grass starter line uses very clashing colors. The green is too "neon" and bright, especially compared to the extremely dark brown that accompanies it. I think you should pick some lighter brown colors and a duller, or blue-er green color. I guess this is also true for the sprites I listed above. Their colors are generally too bright, or too dark to be together in the same sprites. I'm guessing that you were choosing your own pallets for those sprites. I guess I don't recommend that. An easy way to have a good pallet to work with is to just borrow one from any official Nintendo sprite. That way, if you don't want or need one of the colors, you can alter it. This strategy just gives you a good base for colors!

Hmm.. what next? I'll move on to your designs I guess. I really like the poses you have created, and the actual shape and forms of the sprites seem really well done to me. Let's see...(*searches through sprites*)...I think you could really improve this guy:
eleswine.png

The front leg closest to us, and the back leg closest to us could both use some changes. The front leg looks like it's connected too close to its chest. Perhaps, just try moving it back some? The back leg closest to us is perfectly straight, which makes it look like a pillar sticking straight down out of its body. Also, it appears to be connected behind the butt because of the dithering you used at the top of that leg. Try moving the leg further towards the front of the body.

This guy has the most potential to be epic, in my opinion:
s49hec.png

However, there are several things that need to be changed for this to be better. The left leg is significantly bigger than the right leg, which shouldn't be the case because that leg is not super far behind. They should be about the same size. The outline on top and side of the head look grainy and rough because there are several lighter pixels sort of randomly stuck into the border. Maybe just use one color or string together multiple lighter pixels. Also, the shading on the upper body is not quite what it should be. The lighter shade of the texture on its belly should also be on the belly above the bone he's holding. Lastly, the upper right part of its body, so the arm and part of the torso, looks really dark compared to the left side of the sprite. Use some of the lighter colors that you used on the left side to brighten it up a bit and shade.

Phew! I'm tired... I hope you thought this was helpful. By the way, I really think your grass starter line will look awesome after a good pallet change.

Years
Me = Fail at choosing palettes XD....

Thanks.
I'm revamping my entire collection, so this will help me figure out what needs to be done and everything.

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
Little bit of CnC here.
First, a little bit of CnC for this:
firetiger2.png

The face seems small, compared to the rest of the body. Also, it seems to be focusing straight to the left, instead of where the player's party would be.
Then, some CnC for this:
firetiger3.png
There's a straight line on the left of the face. Also, the tail doesn't seem to be attached to the rest of the body. Try to make the stripes continue into the tail, for a more natural feel.

Now, some CnC for this:
corrcoltnf.png

The fluke (tail fin) suggests the Pokemon is facing us directly, but it is looking to the side of us. Also, there's a un-needed 'blob' on the Pokemon's front leg.

Also, the electric pig's main yellow colour is too bright.

I hope I helped you!

Years
firetiger2.png
<---You're a lil late on this one :P....i've already changed it. Its this now:-
firetiger2r.png

The third stage of the tiger is gonna be changed completely, i'll post it up when its done, but i'll fix this one up too, just to use as a base, incase i need a tiger later.

The water horse's tail is because its shaded wrong :P, its supposed to be twisting a bit, i just couldn't shade it properly so i left it :P. I'll fix that up too.

I'm gonna be busy for the next month/month and a half, and when i do get back to spriting i'm gonna try to make ALL of my sprites better (ok, fine.... just the ones i don't like :P) so i'll add what you said to the list already started based on icychill's observations.

Hopefully they'll turn out with significant improvement :P...

On a side note:-

Here's a lil sample, a teaser as such, of what the 3rd stage of the fire tiger is gonna look like:-

ft3sample.png

what do u guys think? (i'm trying to make it all awesome so that it compares with my grass final, (cuz my brother keeps saying that he'd choose the grass starter cuz the other starters' final evos look stupid :P)

whoops:- its missing the other ear and a tail :P....ah well....

Last edited:
Years
UPDATE:-

Well....just a quick update before i disappear for another month or so :P :-

Recolored Grass Starters:-
001barkid.png
----->
002gnarwood.png
----->
003treenaut.png

Water Starters (edits and new 3rd stage) :-

corrcolt2.png
----->
3rdwatercopy.png

Fire Starter (new 3rd Stage):-
tygarson.png

Working on editing the other sprites and drawing new concepts when i can.
Tell me what you guys think about these.

Edit:-

My WIP for the iso contest....i kinda went overboard trying to make it look like stone :P....

isowip.png

Last edited:
Years
Update :-

I've been getting bored cuz my exams are going on....neway.... here's what i've been doing during my breaks...

Going through my sprites...i suddenly realized i had no flying pokemon :O (well...i don't have a lot of types but this seemed to be the most obvious...:P)

so my remedy to that:-
birdpoke.png

its not perfect, but bah...its a start.... i stole the beak from pidgeotto cuz i couldn't sprite 1 :P.

and then getting even more bored....i made this :P

arksprites.gif

I edited a trainer i made way back when and decided to make him a lil animated cuz every1 seems to like animations :P

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I don't think you're supposed to post that.... I'm pretty sure that only the edges will be shown to other people, to allow them to make their pieces seamlessly flow from yours without knowing exactly what yours is.

Years
nah... the one in PokeC isn't being hid.... that idea had its merits, but this could work too....just depends on the creativity of the contributors.

Years
Well...i'm gonna start a new mini-project for my game when i make it....

I'm basically gonna redo the trainers in a more anime style... so that means:

girls get longer, thinner legs :) , smaller waists :) :), skimpy outfits :) :) :) and smaller heads.

haven't really thought about the guys yet...but they'll probably be more anime-y :P..

so without further ado:-

beautypageant.png

ladies.png
more to come ;)

Back