• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Artificial pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • So, ever since Gen 1, technology has been advanced enough to create "artifical" pokemon along side the organic pokemon. When I meant by "artifical" pokemon, I mean pokemon that are man-made; like Mewtwo, Porygon, Castform, etc. There are also pokemon that are actually influenced by humans, like burmy, a pokemon that can create outer cloaks out of their habitat. This may be composed of natural materials, as seen in its Plant Cloak or Sandy Cloak, or of artificial building insulation as seen in its Trash Cloak, or Rotom, a pokemon that has the ability to change its form due to it being able to take over man-made appliances.

What would you say if your favourite artifical pokemon? Do you think that particular artifical pokemon is still considered "living beings" or just "advanced technology?" Would you prefer if pokemon had more artifical pokemon, or do you not like the idea of man-made pokemon? How about pokemon that are influenced by humans -- do you feel that they are artifical in anyway?

I mean, I've always considered pokemon like Castform to be living, (which happens to be my favourite artifical pokemon, BTW) because other than being artificially created, are no different from natural Pokémon. They can breed, evolve, be found in the wild, be captured and be trained just as ordinary Pokémon would. I wouldn't mind if they had more artifical pokemon, TBH, because of that.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I just fail to see how the Magnemite and Klink evolutionary line can be a living creature o.O

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I'm not much a fan of guys like Klink, Grimer, Voltorb or Magnemite, who are supposedly manmade objects turned Pokemon, but I'm fine with Mewtwo- a living creature made using cloning technology and Porygon- a digital Pokemon born of computer data, similar to a robot.
    But I do consider them living beings as opposed to advanced technology. They have a will of their own and can make decisions- Mewtwo in the first movie and subsequent TV special, could anyone say he is simply advanced technology?
    Um, I don't think Pokemon that have been influenced by humans are artificial- they're just taking advantage of what humans have given them to work with. Like Burmy, adapting its cloak to its surroundings.
    But I don't think that more artificial Pokemon are needed. I'd prefer maybe one or two per generation, you know?

As an aside- if you consider Mewtwo artificial or partially artificial, do you count fossil Pokemon as the same? 'Cause they are quite similar in origin.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I'm not much a fan of guys like Klink, Grimer, Voltorb or Magnemite, who are supposedly manmade objects turned Pokemon, but I'm fine with Mewtwo- a living creature made using cloning technology and Porygon- a digital Pokemon born of computer data, similar to a robot.
    But I do consider them living beings as opposed to advanced technology. They have a will of their own and can make decisions- Mewtwo in the first movie and subsequent TV special, could anyone say he is simply advanced technology?
    Um, I don't think Pokemon that have been influenced by humans are artificial- they're just taking advantage of what humans have given them to work with. Like Burmy, adapting its cloak to its surroundings.
    But I don't think that more artificial Pokemon are needed. I'd prefer maybe one or two per generation, you know?

As an aside- if you consider Mewtwo artificial or partially artificial, do you count fossil Pokemon as the same? 'Cause they are quite similar in origin.

Technically, I don't think fossil pokemon count -- because before pokemon like Aerodactyl were fossils, they were organic pokemon with their own natural intelligence. Well, that's what I would think.

Oblivion Reaper 2.0

Not Dead Yet
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Hell
    • Seen Jun 15, 2011
    Genesect is technically not an artifacial pokemon but it was moded by Team Plasma into some robot style bug thing with a laser cannon...Artificial pokemon

Altaïr

... Has one gear: Go
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    Sure, the Pokemon were originally man-made, but then they bred and can be found naturally, so that counts as a living thing in my book!

Years
  • I like Castform and Rotom, they are really cool Pokemon. I like how they have different forms.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I consider "artificial" Pokemon as still living beings, except for Mewtwo, as it can't breed. Well, all legendaries can't breed either so I don't think that counts. I like Mewtwo though, its, like, the best Pokemon out there. xD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Metagross and Voltorb/Electrode are my favorites. And I tend to think of them as "mechanical life beings" that make use of technology. And I like the idea of such Pokemon, me being a somewhat science/technology person myself.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2014
    I've always loved Porygon, even before I was intelligent enough to know what they meant by artificial Pokémon. After a while, they became my favorite subspecies of Pokémon. Castform, Porygon, and Rotom are some of my favorites. I wish there were more artificial Pokémon, and some Pokémon should get officially confirmed as artificial (Magnemite Family). Everyone thinks they're man-made, but they aren't officially, so we're all split. Lastly, if my Porygon-Z has max happiness, obviously it is alive enough to love me. :)

Years
  • I've always loved Porygon, even before I was intelligent enough to know what they meant by artificial Pokémon. After a while, they became my favorite subspecies of Pokémon. Castform, Porygon, and Rotom are some of my favorites. I wish there were more artificial Pokémon, and some Pokémon should get officially confirmed as artificial (Magnemite Family). Everyone thinks they're man-made, but they aren't officially, so we're all split. Lastly, if my Porygon-Z has max happiness, obviously it is alive enough to love me. :)
    Woah, this thread is nearly three and a half years old.

For future reference MissingnoKing, any thread that hasn't been posted in for the past 30 days is considered dead, and it's actually against the rules to post in it. If you'd like to discuss something in the future that you don't see an active thread for, feel free to make your own rather than adding to an old conversation. Thanks!

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back