• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Ash Vs Alain

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Am I the only one who's standing on their tiptoes with immoral anticipation for episode 23, and thus the intriguing and desired Pokèmon battle between Ash and Alain, to be dubbed?
    I mean, seriously, this is going to be one of the greatest yet. It's Alain, the powerful and ambitious yet somewhat naive trainer up against Ash, the (quite honestly immature) courageous and skilled trainer with tremendous connections with his Pokémon.
    Just... Please tell me I'm not alone on this burst of excitement.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Oh my god, why is nobody talking about either of Ash and Alain battles??

This is the reason I started catching up to XYZ in the first place, and there seemed to be a lot of hype over it at one point, but now not too many people are talking about it. I really liked both their battles. Heck I'm still hyped that Alain is the anime at all, let alone battling Ash - which were both awesome fights, and I'll probably go back and re-watch them once they're dubbed because I'm curious to how the dub will treat the episodes. o:

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    Im mostly looking forward to Ash's mega evolution of Charizard to Mega Charizard Y as i think its heavily implied and forthcoming.And i think that will happen before he has the rematch with Alain.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    The first Satoshi-Alan episode was pretty nice, if not particularly spectacular. I liked how the protagonists' first meeting was pretty "normal", almost as if Alan was just a regular CotD. It did a good job introducing the Satoshi-Gekkouga concept (which we'd only seen fleetingly before) and establishing a relationship between Satoshi and Alan. The battle itself was okay, but very straightforward and a bit too one-sided in Mega Lizardon's favor. I expected Alan to win, of course, but it would have been nice to see Gekkouga actually give him a challenge. We already know how strong Alan's Lizardon is from the TSME specials, so I don't see why it had to utterly dominate Gekkouga in that battle just to reinforce that.

The second Satoshi-Alan episode is one of my favorites of XY&Z so far. Story-wise, it pretty much hits the same beats as XY&Z013, but I liked seeing Satoshi and Alan's friendship fleshed out a little more. The first time it was more about Alan just wanting to battle Satoshi-Gekkouga, like he would a Mega Evolution. Aside from his complimenting Pikachu, he doesn't really pay much attention to Satoshi himself. XY&Z023 is mostly about Gekkouga, too, but Alan and Lizardon's final scene in that episode shows that Alan actually does have a respect for Satoshi beyond that. I'm actually looking forward to what happens when it's revealed that Alan is working with Team Flare, albeit unwittingly. If the Onvern-Metang battle is any indication, maybe they'll even use more Pokémon.

XY&Z023's battle between Satoshi-Gekkouga and Mega Lizardon is much better too, in that there's more back-and-forth and more cool moments than just Lizardon dominating the whole thing. Satoshi and Gekkouga's trick with Double Team (that he also pulled on Citron earlier); Mega Lizardon catching Gekkouga's Cut attack and blasting it in the face with Flamethrower (my personal favorite moment); Satoshi-Gekkouga dropping Lizardon with cut and getting the upper-hand in the battle; the much improved animation compared for the first fight. You get more of a sense of the potential of Satoshi-Gekkouga, a good fight, and it made me eager what the anime does when Satoshi and Alan fight for real, with the perfected Satoshi-Gekkouga against Mega Lizardon.

But as for why people aren't talking about it, maybe it's because there's much to talk about. It's not like there's a lot to this rivalry that makes for in-depth discussion. You have to figure that there'll probably be one more Satoshi and Alan battle during the Team Flare storyline that Satoshi wins, Alan will realize who he's working with, and his story arc will conclude. Maybe the line about the Kalos League in XY&Z023, as well as the revelation that Alan owns more Pokémon than Lizardon, is a set-up and leads to Alan showing up there, but that's kind of a stretch and wouldn't necessary add anything to either character, anyway. But I'm enjoying what's been shown, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this storyline develops.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    Ash vs Alan storyline is good and all. But isn't anyone frustrated about Ash telling Gekkouga to only use Cut? I mean cmon isn't there a more potent and flashy move than that? I get it, it looks cool and ragey but its underwhelming being used in succession. Dont you think? Or am i the only one? :P

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    The second Satoshi-Alan episode is one of my favorites of XY&Z so far. Story-wise, it pretty much hits the same beats as XY&Z013, but I liked seeing Satoshi and Alan's friendship fleshed out a little more. The first time it was more about Alan just wanting to battle Satoshi-Gekkouga, like he would a Mega Evolution. Aside from his complimenting Pikachu, he doesn't really pay much attention to Satoshi himself. XY&Z023 is mostly about Gekkouga, too, but Alan and Lizardon's final scene in that episode shows that Alan actually does have a respect for Satoshi beyond that. I'm actually looking forward to what happens when it's revealed that Alan is working with Team Flare, albeit unwittingly.

But as for why people aren't talking about it, maybe it's because there's much to talk about. It's not like there's a lot to this rivalry that makes for in-depth discussion.

I'm sorry, I clipped your post because I'm kinda whipping a quick reply before I sleep! .w.

Ahem. YES, THOUGH. Their second meeting was a really cool episode, and both of their battles have been cool to see. I'm actually pretty floored by their friendship. I figured their personalities would clash a little, since Alan can react kinda coldly to people sometimes, and Satoshi gets in his own moods. Was really expecting a rivalry. However, their recent meetings are like "Hey, friend :D" and I'm.. just really surprised, but it's nice to see. I think it's partially for the sake of dramatics, because when they find out Alan is aligned with Flare things are gonna hit the fan.

Though, that being the case, maybe an even more battle will happen if they're really fighting against one another. Hopefully by that point the Gekkouga thing will be more under control, and Satoshi can use it's full power against Alan without blacking out.

Ash vs Alan storyline is good and all. But isn't anyone frustrated about Ash telling Gekkouga to only use Cut? I mean cmon isn't there a more potent and flashy move than that? I get it, it looks cool and ragey but its underwhelming being used in succession. Dont you think? Or am i the only one? :P

Yeah, it's a little repetitive, but I also thinks that's because the battles just don't last long enough for him to do much else. xD; None of battles where they did the mental link have been too long, yet. Not that I can remember, at least.

Back