• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ashamed of Pokemon?

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
  • Though I've known people who are ashamed of their Pokémon love, I've never hidden it. I'm proud of my love for Pokémon and if people are immature enough to deride me for it then that's their problem. In particular, I think the games (both video games and TCG) are great, even if the anime doesn't have too much going for it besides cuteness these days. Besides, there's a certain person who plays the games too, so...

Years
  • When I was in Jr. High when Pokemon first came out I was quite ashamed. There was actually an incident where a trusted friend released the info to my teamates on the football and baseball team, well needless to say that was kinda rough considering even to this day no one in my city really likes Pokemon, and being a small town ppl would find out if someone did, lol. However now I'm 23 and I don't really keep it a secret. I openly play it at work in the factory, and my fiance doesn't care at all. She doesn't understand the concept, but she doesn't care, and doesn't look at it bad. I've just been kinda lucky to not be considered a "dork" or "nerd" or whatever throughout my life. I've always been a jock who is looked at as being a kid at heart. So I guess it all just depends on how you go about handling it. You can't let liking Pokemon define you as a nerd, you have to make it look like its cool to like it, and if people still see you as the same person just a fan of Pokemon people won't really care.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • I am, however, considering we have an 11 hour drive on a bus to Six Flags/Marine World on Friday as the senior trip.... screw embarrassment, I need SOMETHING to do for the 22 hours on the bus (there and back =P)

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I dont mind if people find out I love Pokemon...I dont broadcast the fact but I dont hide It because I feel like there is nothing to be ashamed of...I tell people that do find out that they can laugh all they want about it....I dont care...That usually shuts them up....and if they make a big deal out of it I'll order some gear from PokemonCenter and wear it as soon as it arrives....

I'm so proud of my love for pokemon that I'm actually considering getting a tatto of a swampert or a mewtwo on my shoulder....

Years
  • k....I wont say that I am ashamed of playing pokemon but here's the deal..

Look there are people in my school who try to look "cool" by insulting pokemon.But in my school if I take a total aggrigate of 100 people 20% will play pokemon.Yes in my free time in school I do go onto pc and I dont care what people say.So overall..I'm not ashamed

Years
  • I'm so proud of my love for pokemon that I'm actually considering getting a tatto of a swampert or a mewtwo on my shoulder....

That would be pretty sweet! If I were to ever do that, the only way I would is if it were to be a bada$$ looking one like Mewtwo, Charizard, Darkai, Dialga, or maybe Palkia. I guess something along those lines, I couldn't do one of say Chansey per say, any bar or tavern I went to anymore I'd probably get my butt kicked, lol.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Why would I be ashamed of enjoying a video game?

Nearly all my friends know I own Pokemon Pearl, some of them even ask if they can have a go to see how it;s changed since they last played. Quite a few of my friends brought it themselves.

Really, most people who are like "lol u geek u liek dem pogeymahn" probably still have a soft spot for it in their hearts.

Hikari x Satoshi

Pokemon Coordinator
    Years
  • I'm not ashamed of Pokemon at all. When I was younger I was ashamed of Pokemon. Now I realize that I'm a real fan so I have nothing to hide and tell my friends about it. Most of them accept it, but a few also say that I'm stupid and childish and for them it's very funny to run around in the schoolhouse and scream "Hikari loves Pokemon!" and so on. I don't care, cause I'm a fan and I've got no fear of beeing one, that would be cowardly. Of course once I was ashamed, but I defeated it by choosing a "Pikachu-voice" as my ringtone. Now everytime in the underground or on the street it goes suddenly "Pika, Pikachu! Pik, Pikachu...". Sometimes people look at me a little bit strange, but I don't care. And whenever somebody makes fun of you, because you like Pokemon it just says how stupid the person really is. Once at school we'd got to fill in a questionare about ourselves and I gave Pokemon as my favorite TV-serial. After some days the questionares had been hung at the walls of our classroom and a few guys begun to laugh at me because I've written "Pokemon". I 've got no problem with it, because I'm a real fan so it doesn't bother me.

Summed up: I'm not ashamed of Pokemon, because I'm a real fan and I'm sticking by it.

Hikari x Satoshi

Pokemon Coordinator
    Years
  • Sorry, what I forgot to say was that I'm 14 (nearly 15)and my mother thinks I'm to old for Pokemon. She says that Pokemon is only for 10 years old kids and not for teenagers, but I don't think so. I mean in Japan for example, there are also 40 years old people who still play the games, watch the movies or even collect Pokemon plushies! It's non-sense that Pokemon is for yong kids. It's not just an anime or jst a game, it's much more than that. My mother will propably never understand that. In last 2 months I've changed much. I felt a close connection to Hikari/Dawn (the new girl from D&P) and now I'm just like her. I dress like her, talk like her behave like her and even cut my hair last week just like her! My mother doesn't know yet that I "am" a Pokemon character, she just says that I've changed a lot. But there's one thing I haven't told anybody yet, neither my friends nor my mum. I thought I would never tell it anybody, but now I see that it just would be crowadly not to tell. I know it doesn't really suit to this forum, but just have to confess it... OK... I watch Pokemon for nearly 5 years I I always thought that Satoshi/Ash is a cool guy, but after some time it has changed. I know this might sound stupid, but I felt something for him. My feelings grew stronger, but I have ignored it. There was a time I even got rid of Pokemon for a certain time, because I got scared somehow. I thought there was something wrong with me, but as soon as I saw an episode of Pokemon again and saw Satoshi I got a very strange feeling in my stomache and I went all red, it was horrible. I didn't know what was going on with me, but soon I realized that I had a crush on him all the time. Now I accept it and I know that I can't change it: I love him! I really love him! It may sound stupid, but it's true. Everytime I see him I still go red on my face and I feel embarrassed, but this feelings so great! Maybe I just got Pokemon-fanatic and it will fade. I'm not sure, but now I feel free and I'm ready to tell it to my friends. I don't know, it's so reliefing...
    That was the first step and the most important one for me. Now I can tell that I'm really neither ashamed of Pokemon nor of my love to Satoshi!
    I'm so happy I did it and please, if anybody here also loves or likes Ash very much or knows somebody who does, please email me @
    [email protected]
    Please, It's somehow important to me to talk to someone who understands me befora telling it to my frends at school. Thanks, I will respond certainly! I swear!

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    I'm not ashamed that I like pokemon. And I'm 16!!!!!! I don't like to be placed in the stereotype group of 'normal' people.
    I like anime and I love pokemon, always did, always do...
    But unlike many of the posts I read, I am alone in liking pokemon.
    There is nobody that likes Pokemon around me, but I don't mind that, I would joyfully get my DS out and play Pokemon Diamond infront of a crowd, if they don't like it it's their problem, not mine......

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I see no need to be ashamed of Pokemon.

Unless you would rather not play Pokemon in order to protect your "coolness" level with your testosterone-driven school friends (who probably play Pokemon too), then you'd be missing out on a fun game for the sake of high school acceptance.

Besides, half my school plays D/P anyways, so... >_>;

RGM8

1995 Pokemon fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2007
    I am 15 about to be 16 and I am in fact ashamed. I keep it a secret. It was my childhood cartoon and sometimes it just sticks... like how some girls still like Winnie the Pooh--like that.

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • I suppose since everyone in the senior class knows about it and has prodded me about it before, it's now a non-issue. I have noticed, though, that more and more students are acknowledging it positively. So I'm not quite as ashamed.

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
  • Would you pull out your DS and play Pokemon D/P in front of a crowd at your high school?
    Sure, why not? IMO, your decisions shouldn't be swayed by the bandwagon of "Pokemon is for kids".

Would you go around wearing a shirt that says "I Love Pokemon"?
    Now that's something totally different. A bit obsessive and fanboyish, and you shouldn't really need to lean that far. It may catch the eyes of some people in public, but I've seen stuff like that still. Totally fine.

I feel like it's kind of taboo to be a teenager and still like Pokemon.. If you do, it's kind of an underground thing that only other poketeens know about. If you are older and admit to being a pokefan, you're stereotyped as a "nerd" or a "geek."
    Hehe, you might be surprised that there are quite a number of people in their 20s still playing without shame. Guilty pleasure? Nah, nothing guilty about it. Ask people from college or university and surely a number of them still plays Pokemon. Just ignore the stereotype that Pokemon (or Nintendo for that matter) is for younger audiences.

It's easy for me to talk to the people in an anime club about me liking Pokemon (games); chances are, they do to. But I'm also a member of different social groups (let's not start a discussion on how stereotypes and cliques should be broken), and I would definitly not act the same around my more 'Seventeen-magazine' friends.
    Naturally, it's easier to get around in an atmosphere that other people are familiar with. It's good that you can keep the Pokemon hype to yourself in other social groups, but it doesn't hurt to tell others of your hobbies and interests. If I was ashamed of telling people that I like playing video games, I might've never known the fact that many adults I've talked to ALSO likes playing video games on a regular basis! :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    I walk around college waring a black top with a bright yellow pikachu on it while playing on Daimond when I get the chance.
    so i think it's save to say i don't care what people think

^_^ i got ash's first hat today, never taking that college, maybe to the yugioh turny.

Wolfius

Incubus Obsessed...
    Years
  • Yeah, I am ashamed. May sound stupid, but I have a good reputation; being known that I play Pokemon in my spare time isn't gonna be that good. But that's my side of it.

Frugget

Meteor Masher
    Years
  • even if you are ashamed of it, if you don't show your real interests to your friends and hide them constantly, you're gonna be miserable; pretening you're someone you're not.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I'm not ashamed of Pokemon at all. When I was younger I was ashamed of Pokemon. Now I realize that I'm a real fan so I have nothing to hide and tell my friends about it. Most of them accept it, but a few also say that I'm stupid and childish and for them it's very funny to run around in the schoolhouse and scream "Hikari loves Pokemon!" and so on. I don't care, cause I'm a fan and I've got no fear of beeing one, that would be cowardly. Of course once I was ashamed, but I defeated it by choosing a "Pikachu-voice" as my ringtone. Now everytime in the underground or on the street it goes suddenly "Pika, Pikachu! Pik, Pikachu...". Sometimes people look at me a little bit strange, but I don't care. And whenever somebody makes fun of you, because you like Pokemon it just says how stupid the person really is. Once at school we'd got to fill in a questionare about ourselves and I gave Pokemon as my favorite TV-serial. After some days the questionares had been hung at the walls of our classroom and a few guys begun to laugh at me because I've written "Pokemon". I 've got no problem with it, because I'm a real fan so it doesn't bother me.

Summed up: I'm not ashamed of Pokemon, because I'm a real fan and I'm sticking by it.
    Cool!
    My ringtone for my cellphone is the 1st season theme song...It doesnt bother me at all....

And You acting like Dawn?...heh...They say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...Kudos to you. You are a much more confident fan than I. I am merely a fan at heart...the only pokemon related stuff I have is my pokemon DS Game case and my ringtone for my phone...other than that you couldnt tell that I am a fan....unless i managed to get a Pokemon shirt or something.....heh....I would wear it once in a while...XD

However I am still not ashamed of the fact that I love pokemon. I am proud of it.
    I dont care if anyone hates me for loving Pokemon...I say, "Let 'em. I dont give a hoot one way or the other. XD"

RGM8

1995 Pokemon fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2007
    even if you are ashamed of it, if you don't show your real interests to your friends and hide them constantly, you're gonna be miserable; pretening you're someone you're not.

That's true but that's life.. miserable.
    I just don't like being laughed at. Really i'm just protecting people from my wrath.

Wolfius

Incubus Obsessed...
    Years
  • even if you are ashamed of it, if you don't show your real interests to your friends and hide them constantly, you're gonna be miserable; pretening you're someone you're not.

It's not really a big deal; Pokemon isn't a big thing for me.

Back