• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age

TheReignOverhead

The Reign Overhead
    Years
    I think people have been over this a couple thousand times but I'm a tad confused.
    Ash was 10 on the first episode. So approximately how long has it been since then? It's been about 10 years real world time, but TV show time? Has this all taken place over the course of one year?

Mao

Feeling F R E S H
    Years
    I really have no idea. I would think over the course of the generations Ash would be 15-17 years of age, however, when you look at him he only seem 13-15 years of Age. If you compare him with Dawn (Who is 10 years of age), there isn't much in the way of height (or Maturity) I guess he might have grown a little bit, but not by a lot.

If this is all true then won't all Generations or Pokemon League Tournaments (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn....) journeys have lasted about two months each?

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2008
    seems like everyone has atleast been traveling for 5-6-7years now. Don't tell me Mai is also 10 years old?

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
    Years
    No i think he is like 13ish. They dropped a hint in one episode i can't remember which one but he mentioned that his 13th birthday was coming up then he said something like it's been three years or something. Then again I could be crazy lol.

MoonlightUmbreon

The Shifting Shadow
    Years
    I think it's one of those shows where the creators don't really want to do the whole age thing. That'd be why it only came up in the first eppie.

Lash

Years
    not this thread again...

If he does age, here is my theory in how old he is. Since like each region takes a year, and I would assume the mini quests (Orange Isle, Battle Frontier) would take around 6 months.

Ash - Age 10 - Began Journey
    Kanto region - one year - 11 by regions end
    Orange Isle - 6 months - 111/2 by filler seasons end
    Johto region - one year - 121/2 by regions end
    Hoenn region - one year - 131/2 by regions end
    Battle Frontier - 6 months - 14 by filler seasons end
    Sinnoh region - one year - 15 by regions end

Like I said, just a theory, if he ages at all >_>

Gengarchomp

n00bier than you
    Years
    If they did show Ash aging in the anime, I think that shipping a 10 year old with a 20 year old would be a little disturbing. The series goes more smoothly now that if he were an adult.

TheReignOverhead

The Reign Overhead
    Years
    Well we have to take into account the days that have passed. There's been like 500 and something episodes, right? If one episode is approximately one day, then he should be at least 11.

Euphoric Magikarp

Magikarp ~<3
    Years
    I dunno he seems like he'd be older if he did age, like 14-15. But then pairing him with 10 year olds would be wrong XD.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Logically Ash should have been 15 or 16, but their aging system in the anime could be as real as Pokemon is in the game.

Hahaha...

In the Diamond and Pearl episode 'Two Degrees of Separation' Dawn enquires as to why Team Rocket are after Pikachu. Meowth then states that they had been after Pikachu for as long as Dawn had been alive. This infers birth, and as we are told that Dawn is supposedly 10 years old, as a beginner trainer. Therefore, Meowth is strongly inferring that 10 years have passed since the very first episodes of the anime. Therefore, as Ash begins at 10, he is now probably around 20 years old, with other characters aging also. So...Meowth statement leads to a few points;

1. Do you agree with this deduction of mine, and is somewhat plausible that time and aging has occurred?

2. Was Ash's father quite short as in 10 years Ash has grown in height very little, although he has aged minimally in other aspects and now has a slightly deeper voice, implying some degree of aging?(HaHaha, even though its only due to a different voice actor)

3.He needs to grow……

Hehehe...but thats probably down to the dubbing or because they really don't expect people to pick apart what Meowth said...I'm strange and obviously he's not 20 but I found it funny to notice this.

Anyway as a member of the older audience (hahaha I sound like I'm saying I'm ancient and trying to hide it)I would actually welcome some degree of aging, and definately in maturity, as even though I appreciate it's a children programme I do think it does need it. I guess I just want it to grow with me...:\

...that was long, sorry.

EndGame

Knower of things
    Years
    oddly enough, you never actually hear about his age after the first episode so he could still be 10 for all we know. if you call me crazy for that guess, take a look at family guy for a perfect example, BONNIE HAS BEEN PREGNANT FOR LIKE 6 YEARS!

Deadly Arbok

Team Rocket's executive agent
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    That made me laugh. But Endgame is right, it's like other shows like the Simmpsons and Family Guy where the characters don't really age. Plus, it really doesn't matter.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2010
    I also agree with Endgame. Though it has to be at least 2 years since he left, the anime is most likely a floating timeline like the Simpsons and Family Guy. South Park is almost a floating timeline, but it isn't because the four main characters have aged a year since the show began.

Back