• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

• Male

Votes: 126 91.3%
  • Female

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    Ok...I'm making this topic so I could talk with it with other people who have seen the anime (doesn't matter how long you have, but if youve been seeing it since Kanto you understand my point here).

If I'm not mistaken, this has NEVER been cleared up. I mean, nobody really knows what gender it is...Im of course talking about the yellow mouse we've all loved and cared for since it first shocked Ash waaaay back in the first episode.

Most people, assume its a male. Yet I have friends who tell me Ash's Pikachu is a She....that's when it hit me: It has never been stated since Pikachu's debut if it was male or female.

But strangely, for some of other Ash's Pokemon, it has been cleared yet some are Unknown. An example is Ash's Bayleef, which is a female. Another example, like most of Ash's pokemon (I assume), is Ash's Bulbasaur...who is a male.

The pokemons personality comes into play, which Is way its obvious Ash's Bayleef is a male because of the way she acts around him or how Cool and Calm is Sceptile...which makes it obvious he's a Male.

Pikachu's gender, alongside with many of Ash's pokemon, remain unknown except for very few.

Another thing, in Gold, Silver and Crystal, when you face Champion Red...His Pikachu is a male. But this is the videogame, NOT the anime.

So I wanted to know what you guys think....:3

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Buneary is female and since Buneary likes Pikachu, and considering that Buneary isn't a lesbian, Pikachu is concluded to be male.

MechaTrickster

Another person in the world
    Years
    Nah all pokemon are females... havent you noticed none of them have a.... candy cane or wang? Meaning theyre all lesbians. So to make eggs the alien grandma at the daycare multiplys them into unborn versions. :) Some same types and species are diffrent from each other because theyre the evil opposites! The opposites are evil twins! :o

Last edited:
    Years
    Ash's Pikachu is male; Buneary has been confirmed as a female, and has a crush on Pikachu, as Warped Reflection said.

Anyhow, I honestly can't picture his Pikachu as female, judging how similar it becomes personality-wise to him.

EDIT: Pikachu is a confirmed male in the English dubs, as well as several other language dubs, but not in the Japanese version of the anime, but there have been many hints that it is male rather than female throughout the anime series, in all languages.

Credits go to Bulbapedia for that piece of info~

Last edited:

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    I completely forgot about the fact that Dawn's Buneary has a crush on Pikachu....ha, but you have to admit...up to that point, most of us were clueless if he was male or not.

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
    im pretty shure that pikachus male if not
    bunearys just a lesbian

that would be funny " Buneary the first gay pokemon"

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
    Besides, Ash's Pikachu doesn't have the 'dent' at the end of its tail, which also means its male.

the gender difference was only in the game not in the shows duh

any way its probably not true but lets just say that pikachus a female and that buneary a lesbian k
    it makes it a lot more fun

Years
    the gender difference was only in the game not in the shows duh

any way its probably not true but lets just say that pikachus a female and that buneary a lesbian k
    it makes it a lot more fun

No, wasn't there also a gender difference with a certain Shinx?

Anyhow, they're not going to be able to ignore the gender differences between male and female Snover(s). (o3o I'm not sure of the plural form...)

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
    why didnt jonhy590 make this a poll!!! somebody make this a poll

and i saw that episode i thought that two untill i really took a look a the shinx there was no difference and one ws male and the other was female

MLU

Returning Tradesman
    Years
    Yeah. Did you forget about the buneary? I don't think she would like same-sex....bleh.

Years
    why didnt jonhy590 make this a poll!!! somebody make this a poll

and i saw that episode i thought that two untill i really took a look a the shinx there was no difference and one ws male and the other was female

Hmmm, my sister always seems to see a difference between the male and female Shinx(es?), even in the anime (she guesses, when playing the games, and encounters a shinx, and guesses before the gender symbol comes up, and is always right. XDD). :S I'd say that she's pretty good at telling gender differences also...

I think that maybe this is starting to get off topic, anyhow.

EDIT: This is a little late, so... Uh, look at the post above.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Way back when in "Pikachu's Goodbye," wasn't Pikachu flirting with a blatantly female Pikachu with a flower on its head? Yet more evidence toward it being male if I remember correctly...

But yeah, Pikachu's obviously male.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    That could be because Pikachu was created before genders were included into the games.

Actually, some of the Pikachu in the episode "Pikachu's Goodbye" had similar dent's/niks on their tails, so technically the gender differences may have in fact been invented by the anime and later implemented into the games.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    pikachu is male buneary is female and the phione on hold the phione is also male
    and if pikachu is a female phione must have been totally freaked out to lose buneary to another girl 0_o

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
    Way back when in "Pikachu's Goodbye," wasn't Pikachu flirting with a blatantly female Pikachu with a flower on its head? Yet more evidence toward it being male if I remember correctly...

But yeah, Pikachu's obviously male.

who the h3ll remebers that episode wsnt it like 6 yrs ago or something (no offense)

i knw pikachus male, everybody shud, its like a no brainer

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
    As other people have said before; since Bunary is a girl and likes Pikachu; its obvious Pikachu is a boy, then again ever since the anime first started I've always believed that Pikachu was a boy; I mean its not really that hard to tell, well personally I don't think so anyway. You just have to watch how Pikachu acts and stuff. So yep Pikachu is a boy ^^.

Back