• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

• Male

Votes: 126 91.3%
  • Female

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Ayselipera

I'm pretty sure its been confirmed that Pikachu is a male.
    Still until I was told that I always though Pikachu was a girl.
    Anyways in the anime Pikachu is sometimes referred to as a he so thats a dead give away.

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    why didnt jonhy590 make this a poll!!! somebody make this a poll

and i saw that episode i thought that two untill i really took a look a the shinx there was no difference and one ws male and the other was female

You can call me Johnny, and, there. Poll created. :3

Way back when in "Pikachu's Goodbye," wasn't Pikachu flirting with a blatantly female Pikachu with a flower on its head? Yet more evidence toward it being male if I remember correctly...

But yeah, Pikachu's obviously male.

I just googled and saw that part of the episode....lol its pretty clear now that he's a Male...xD

Still until I was told that I always thought Pikachu was a girl.

Same...allthough sometimes I couldn't tell because Pikachu would have certain male aspects sometimes and then other episodes you could see certain female ones...But overall they way he acts its pretty dead on you could see he is a male....:)

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
    There was an episode in the early anime that depicted Pikachu's short love with a trainer-owned female of his type (I believe that it knew Surf, and used it to rescue Ash or something like that). There's also that damned Buneary.

EDIT: Dominus Temporis has it down; check out that guy's post.

ShadowYashi

A secret makes a woman a woman
    Years
    Besides, Ash's Pikachu doesn't have the 'dent' at the end of its tail, which also means its male.
    Actually, the only reason why Pikachu wouldn't have a dent in its tail, if it were a female, is because it was from Generation 1. Up until Generation 4, none of the Pokemon in the show had gender differences until Ash hit Sinnoh, so the same could be said for Gary and Brock's, May, Misty, etc's Pokemon as well, their Pokemon that's not from Sinnoh wouldn't have gender differences because the ones that have differens were all found in Sinnoh.

But even without Buneary crushing on Pikachu, you could tell it was male by its actions, just like you can tell Piplup is male and Pachirisu is.... well I think Pachirisu is male >_>

Years
    I didn't think people still seriously had any doubts.

Ash calls him "buddy" all the time, and it's pretty much been implied to be male since the beginning. It's voice has been generally masculine, and.. it's just obviously male.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    In the Pokemon diamond and pearl series, Dawns Buneary likes ash's Pikachu so most likely Pikachu has to be male unless Buneary swings the other way. lol.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Even before Buneary came in, I always looked at Pikachu as being a male Pokemon. I don't know why... his personality just matches a guy's a guess. XD Plus whenever they went in those hot bath things, wouldn't Pikachu go with Misty/May/Dawn/whoever instead of going to the guy's side with Ash?

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    who the h3ll remebers that episode wsnt it like 6 yrs ago or something (no offense)

i knw pikachus male, everybody shud, its like a no brainer
    No offense taken, and it was ten-eleven years ago, actually. I think the only reason I remembered that is 'cause it's one of my favorite episodes and I stopped watching mid-Johto, so I don't have the recent stuff in my memory...

Come to think of it, I think the same thing was in the Electric Tale of Pikachu comic.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    No. Pikachu was dubbed by an English voice actress durng certain episodes by Rachael Lillis, voice actress of Maylene, pre-PUSA Misty and Jessie, etc, when Ikue Ohtani's, Japanese voice actress of Pikachu, voice was overlapped. She voiced him in EP001: Pokémon- I Choose You! and in other episodes.

Last edited:

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    I think it's male.

Since Buneary has a crush on it and Buneary sounds more girly and Dawn dresses Buneary in dresses and such.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    According to D/P's gendered sprites, Female Pikachus have a small dent in their tails... which Ash's Pikachu (and all of the other Pikachus) do not have.

I smell a sausage fest...

That's funny since Pikachu is voiced by a female in Japanese and when an English voice actor dubbed him.
    Well, for the majority of the English Dub, Pikachu had his Japanese voice. Also, Edward Elric was dubbed by a female in Japanese, and there are myriads of other shows in which male characters are voiced by females and vice versa. It isn't all over, but it's a notable amount.

Back