• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Astronomy Chat

Project.

Tarot reading;
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    This is a chat for those who are interested in astronomy.

Here you can discuss events in your night sky. Feel free to share experiences with the stars and planets.

I will occasionally post astronomical events that will occur to entice people.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Oh cool:D

I have a project for school due Nov. 3 about space. I love space my favorite plant other than Earth is Saturn.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i love your avatar, Project.

i wish astronomy classes were offered where i'm educated because i've always been interested in the cosmos, i used to watch The Universe on The History Channel every chance i get....but mostly i'd pay attention to the visuals xD outer space is stunningly gorgeous and full of incredible feats that i'm so glad we're to the point of being able to see on television and stuff, i only hope as technology develops we'll be able to explore the cosmos more closely.

one thing i learned from The Universe was that Saturn has this awesome hexagon thing in its center....take a look-see!
    Astronomy Chat

way badass

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • i love your avatar, Project.

i wish astronomy classes were offered where i'm educated because i've always been interested in the cosmos, i used to watch The Universe on The History Channel every chance i get....but mostly i'd pay attention to the visuals xD outer space is stunningly gorgeous and full of incredible feats that i'm so glad we're to the point of being able to see on television and stuff, i only hope as technology develops we'll be able to explore the cosmos more closely.

one thing i learned from The Universe was that Saturn has this awesome hexagon thing in its center....take a look-see!

way badass

Yes, it is really astounding. It's sides are completely equal to each other, and all the angles are exactly the same. It's a perfect hexagon in the atmosphere of Saturn. :3

My favorite astronomical body is Titan, one of Saturn's moons. Either that or Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.

Titan is basically a miniture Earth. It has an atmosphere (one of the few, if not the only moon with an atmosphere) that has the same basic building blocks as our atmosphere does, only with a lot more methane. Also, it is the only other place in the Universe (that we know of) that has flowing liquid (liquid methane to be exact) on the surface. It even rains (methane rain) there!

Also a small note, methane is only flammable when it's mixed with oxygen. There is very little oxygen on Titan, so it won't explode. ^-^

While Europa is the best place in our solar system to look for life. Yes, it's a moon. And yes, it orbits Jupiter. However, the entire surface is ice. Water ice. And the tidal pull from Jupiter and other moons as it orbits around Jupiter create internal heat which has created a subterrainian ocean under Europa's frozen surface of WATER. Yes, water. It is the only place we know of besides Earth that has liquid water.

SPACE IS EXCITING ^___^

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    I am relatively new to it, but I am an avid amateur. I got my first telescope in April, this one here..

God, they're expensive. But I have learned a lot. I've recently been living in a house far from the city and I'm able to see a lot of stars.

Sad thing is, I'm only able to visit the house every other weekend.
    But It's worth it. Although what you see is not exactly what you'll get in the book, seeing Saturn's Rings and looking at Andromeda is astounding.

I think the best place to look for on life in the Solar System is Europa. Titan, although it is like Earth how it was millions of years ago, that would mean that it would take a few million years for it to be like us, yes?

Europa we know has a high chance of liquid water underneath its surface. And if its concealed in all that ice; it is most likely warm in there and aquatic life would flourish.

Thanks for complimenting my avatar by the way, I like yours too!

The universe is a beautiful place. There's so many theories for physics that humans just can't comprehend. It's amazing to think that someone out there can utilize this vast wonderland.

Anyway, here's a conversation starter: Deep Sky Objects(and europa/titan!)

Most of us have heard constellations from when we were little. Like recognizing the Big Dipper, Little Dipper, Polaris(north star), and all that mumbo jumbo. Although some freaks managed to fit 88 constellations in this sky. And those who have been studying for a bit longer then others will recognize other constellations and figurisms (Pegasus' square, summer triangle, etc.). But the thing is, when you look a the Big Dipper with your naked eye you see a connection of stars. But with a set of binoculars, its much more. But let's point your lens to Andromeda for a minute. It's a relatively faint constellation with a big secret; M31.

(i uploaded attachments)
    The white one is what you should expect to see with a basic 4-6" telescope. Color is what you're not getting without some special lens (which Im lucky enough to have)!! I didn't take that picture, by the way. And the other one is layering of many many images that people from the Hubble Telescope have compiled.

It's amazing how this stuff exists. We can see a galaxy that is millions of light years away. We're looking at that galaxy how it looked millions of years ago.

Space is so mysterious. And its just so vast we'll have to advance our technology to the extreme to be able to explore all this up close.

Anyway, feel free to talk about anything you want here.

But just for a question you could answer; what are you favorite Deep sky objects? I personally like globular clusters because there is a lot of bright ones and its amazing all those stars can manage when they're so close together.

For those that are interested; if you want to grab your binoculars or telescope and look at your night sky.
    Click me! I like being clicked by other people!

Attachments

• Astronomy Chat
      andromeda.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 2
    • Astronomy Chat
      Andromeda Real.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 2
    Years
  • I wouldn't say I love astronomy, but I must say I am rather interested in the different possibilities that we could be faced with.

I do love looking up at the night sky and thinking what could be happening up there. Are the stars I am seeing actually there? Or is it just the light still reflecting from light years way?

Years
  • I've become a bit of an astronomy buff in the past few years, It's very interesting.

There was a meteor shower visible over North America last week. :D Although it was at 5 AM and i didn't wake up in time to see it. T__T

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014

There was a meteor shower visible over North America last week. :D Although it was at 5 AM and i didn't wake up in time to see it. T__T
    I hate it when I miss things like that. T_T9 But I've been lucky enough to see quite a few meteor showers, which commonly take place at night. And a few other things. It got really cold, so I had to wear a blanket. .//.

I've always been interested in the night sky. I heart the lights in the dark night sky. It's always fascinating.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • Astronomy has always fascinated me. *3* I remember in school I loved learning about the planets and space and doing fun little projects on them. Unfortunately that was a few years back and I've forgotten almost everything I once knew. :( Though I do have something to say; a few months ago, I was just gazing out my window before going to bed, and I looked into the sky and saw three lights. One was red, one was green and one was white. Now I'm not sure if these lights were (shooting?) stars but it sure freaked me out. Could of just been aircrafts or something though. Though why would there be an aircraft in an area like mine..

Anyway, this thread is already quite interesting to read up on, so I'll be reading over it from time to time. :3

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I've always had a crush on space... but constellations, and our solar system is too small for me. I'm really only interested in what's further out. Who knows if I'll ever see anything beyond our solar system though.

I am a giant astronomy nerd.

I'm too cheap for a telescope, though, and just use really strong binoculars.

Where I live is up on a mountain with virtually no light pollution, so I can easily see the Milky Way (another arm of our galaxy, with thousands and thousands of stars, just like the arm we're in. that thrills me. There's so much out there). Another favorite of mine is the Andromeda Galaxy. I love just staring at the blur through my binoculars. Another galaxy like ours, with its own millions and millions of stars. There's just so much in the universe, and I want to see it all.

Years
  • I remember hearing about the hexagon on top of Saturn. That was pretty crazy to imagine, but then I saw something on TV which showed how a round bucket of water spun at incredibly fast speeds will not only push the water to the sides of the bucket, but will make different geometric shapes depending on the speed it's spinning. That kind of makes it more real. When they say that these planets are spinning at incredible speeds it's sort of hard to imagine that normally.

Incidentally, I picked up a book about the life of Caroline Herschel (the sister of William Herschel, who discovered Uranus, among other things) and the contributions she made to the science of astronomy. I'm enjoying it, but I always enjoyed reading about the history of astronomy.

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    The history is also fascinating. When it comes to Ptomely, Galileo, Copernicus and all of those other famous people it's amazing how people can discover such things, especially in such early times.

Anyway, if the skies are nice this weekend I will take out my telescope and try to look at Lyra; and Andromeda, then after a bit I'll peek at Orion (not sure what time it comes up right now). Hopefully some Jupiter and possibly Venus.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I am going to do Neptune for my project I can't wait to learn about it.
    I initially read that as 'I am going to Neptune'. XD

Anyways I quite like astronomy myself - always did when I was young. I read a lot of books on stars and the solar system. XD I've been doing Astronomy as a subject at uni this year as well (seeing first year I can pick up just about anything besides maths/physics for what I want to do, heh). Probably one of the better subjects I've had thus far - even got as part of an assessment to look through the uni's telescopes at the stars and moon, and during a tutorial at the sun. =)

Curiously, does anybody know about Astronomy Picture of the Day? Yesterday's picture was quite neat. ^^

bobandbill

one more time
    Years

• Today's picture is pretty neat too. Though it took me quite a while to spot the Captain's ghost, haha. Now I'm just viewing the whole archive. XD
    Well as a day ticked over I now mean the one two days ago, i.e. this one. XD But yeah, it's a nice, pretty way to procastinate. XD We were introduced to it in our first astronomy lecture by our enthusastic lecturer.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I'm going to say, when I was young, like about 6-10 years old, I was insanely in love with Astronomy and the Cosmos. Needless to say Carl Sagan's Cosmos videos were very interesting. Although today I understand the limitful reality of being an astronaut and the few possibilities of knowing Astrophysics, I sometimes like to look up at night and wonder about a few things.

Back