• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Back in the Day

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I never even knew how to to play the card game at all...lol...I just made my own rules with my friends, but not too long after we went into the whole GBA thing...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    The days where there was only Ash and his Gym Battles, none of this Contest crap
    Everyone liked Ash's friends
    Pokemon Cards were banned from school
    Ash's voice sounded normal, and not like a woman...
    Original Pokemon were the best, and none of these pre-evolutions (Although some are fine)

Ah, nostalgic

pokemon_beauty

Pretty in Pink
    Years
    I played Pokemon Red like 80 times, and it never got old.
    I was SO excited when I found out about the MissingNo cheat XD
    I couldn't believe I could play as a girl in Pokemon Crystal.
    That was the highlight of my life :p

I cried when Ash died in the first movie XD and then all of the Pokemon's tears brought him back.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    Can anyone remember the Trading Card Game for the Game Boy? I loved that game xD I thought it was brilliant, since I never gort into the real TCG xD

I loved it. I had plenty of the actual trading cards, but no one I knew played it, so it was lots of fun. It took me a few days to actually get the hang of making decks and everything, but once I finished the game it was this huge "oh snap" moment for me.

I still like to go back every now and again and just wipe the floor with people using the legendary cards you get towards the end of the game. :3

Years
    Charizard. A holo Charizard. Who forgets the first time they got that card?

I wouldn't know, I NEVER got one. In all the time I played the card game, and all the cards I had, I never once got the original Charizard, or Blastoise or Venusaur for that matter. I got all of them in the rocket and jungle packs and stuff, but never in the original. How messed up is that?

My friend got me into the card game. He had a bunch of cards that he got somewhere, and I picked through and bought a bunch of them from him. I remember paying 5 cents for a Mankey, haha.

Did any of you go to the Pokemon League they set up at Toys r' Us? Every Wednesday night I think, me and my friend would go there and battle people and try to win our badges. I got to the Cascade Badge before I stopped going. Good times.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
    yeah cause now you have to do ev and thats harder y can i just battle any pokemon and everyone getting a fair chance for people who can spend every second of their lives playing video games trying to ev up

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    yeah cause now you have to do ev and thats harder y can i just battle any pokemon and everyone getting a fair chance for people who can spend every second of their lives playing video games trying to ev up
    Meh, EVing is for tourney players nowadays. I only count EVs for my tournament teams anyway... But yeah, I get what you're saying. It's annoying at times when I get people who ask me for EV trades and I say, "Dude... You expect me to know that right off the bat? I don't carry a chart with me everywhere I go..."

I remember those endless conversations on the swings at recess on how to mold the perfect Pokémon team. We always went by the principle "If its level is high, you're good to go." That wasn't entirely true, as we soon learned after cheating with the unlimited rare candy glitch that your Pokémon's stats will be fractioned if you level them up to 100 with rare candies. We always thought about why that happened, and we got our answers four years later (IVs and EVs).

Then I can also remember us wondering, "Well, there's a Red, Blue, and Yellow version... Where's the Green?" One of my friends said it was a Japanese exclusive, and we were all butthurt when we learned it wasn't ever coming to the US. I finally grabbed a copy years later, when I imported it from Japan with the Internet, and now everybody says "OMG. GREEN. WANT," as if they're resurrecting themselves from '99-'00. It's good to relive your pastimes...

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    i remember once back then me and my buddy nick stayed up the entire night working from poke ball all the way up to and beating master ball in the prime cup tournament on pokemon stadium (the original one) we had the most outrageous team with a pideot that would not faint at all... crazy night i miss those times

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    I miss those days... Misty was a regular on the show... Ash wasnt as stupid, the games were epic, rivals were bad guys (Blue = Obnoxious guy, Silver = Evil) no matter what pokemon you chose (with a few exceptions) you could make a winning team and there was a game with 16 badges and two regions!

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Yes brock is still there but hes now annoying than useful. Hes not even doing anything. Misty's been in like 12 episodes since she left, all way more important that Brock's 200+

joehat

Yay
    Years
    ... and you wouldn't leave the house without your Pokemon cards...

Haha yup. Haha I didn't care if I had to carry like 3 binders around. I always had my cards with me.

I remember once my dad tried buying me these fake out cards. They didn't look anything like the original cards, and they were printed horizontally instead of vertically. I can't remember the brand. I can't find a picture either! Grrr.

Gars129

Is now focused on other things
    Years
    I was a late bloomer, but i remember when everybody liked pokemon except me. I had watched the anime on CN sometimes when i was bored but didnt like "Chinese" cartoons (i called anime Chinese when i was little)until i was older.

One day i bought it since everyone thought it was so awesome (that was back in R/S) and i fell in love with it from the start. I had never played an RPG before cause mom didnt want me to play video games until i was older so i wouldnt become a nerd and i had only played games like Spongebob or things based on cartoons, and when i saw you could name your character and your pokemon, it was so cool. I choosed Mudkip on Ruby.

Then i remember using a friend's action replay some time later and i couldnt get some HM'S cause of the AR and I had to start the game again.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Me and my friends used to competitivly play pokemon cards, haha. Those were the days ^_^

Clouddyl

Playing battle tower doubles!
    Years
    I remember the exact moment I first learned about pokemon :D

I'd been off school for a week with illness, and when I got back everyone was talking about this amazing new thing and they all made me play this game, and I remember being like, great, another thing that I've never heard of (even as a 5 year old, i was pretty sceptical :/). As far as I know, I'm the only person still properly into pokemon in my whole year :(

Wish it was like the golden age...

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    I remember the exact moment I first learned about pokemon :D

I'd been off school for a week with illness, and when I got back everyone was talking about this amazing new thing and they all made me play this game, and I remember being like, great, another thing that I've never heard of (even as a 5 year old, i was pretty sceptical :/). As far as I know, I'm the only person still properly into pokemon in my whole year :(

Wish it was like the golden age...

Qft - Quoted for the truth

Only me and one other friend like it. The rest think it's "gay" and "stupid"

Clouddyl

Playing battle tower doubles!
    Years
    Qft - Quoted for the truth

Only me and one other friend like it. The rest think it's "gay" and "stupid"

I sometimes play Diamond at school still, in the prefect hut xD

People either go "haha you play pokemon you must be 5lulz" or "aww I used to be into that when I was little"

Both of them piss me off :/

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
    I sometimes play Diamond at school still, in the prefect hut xD

People either go "haha you play pokemon you must be 5lulz" or "aww I used to be into that when I was little"

Both of them piss me off :/

Yeah, it's annoying isn't it? That's why I'm not as sentimental as some about the "old days". I was 14 or 15 when I started playing it and you were not supposed to be into pokemon at 15, you were supposed to be into some lame ass celebrity.

However, the games were cool and I look back fondly at them.

Years
    Ah... so many memories. It seemed like everyone had cards back then. While waiting for school to start everyone would have their pokemon cards out trading. A group of people could be seen huddling around two others with Gameboys as they battled it out. During recess everyone would bring their binders out and Japanese cards were all the rage. Then during my days off I would get together with friends and we would go to the local card shop eyeing the Charizard in the case, all hoping we would get one in the boosters we were buying. But sadly, it seemed with time everyone grew out of Pokemon and moved onto the next big thing.

I miss those days, but I was happy I was there to experience them. As for now, I should be thankful because I still have a friend now who still enjoys pokemon like me. Every once in a while when we are at a store together, I'll just say, "Hey, let's buy some pokemon decks and play eachother," and we will each buy a deck and play. Or if we both have our DS's we will go through the game and trade and battle. Just like old times.

While not nearly as many people enjoy pokemon today, I still do and there are other like me. In the end, that is what matters. Some day, I want to be a kid again and enter a pokemon card tournament just for the fun of it. But sadly, there doesn't seem to be any places that host tournaments near by. If I ever happen to chance upon one, though, I'll be sure to enter...

PS. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but does anyone remember back in Pokemon Red and Blue when Mew was supposedly behind that truck by the boat. I would try and try and again to figure out a way to get that truck out of the way, but to no avail. I wonder why that truck was ever there in the first place.

Back