• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Apparently that horrible failure of a game Evolve is going F2P. I.... was not expecting this...

Sir Codin

Back to the Grind(stone)

Last edited:

Arsenic

Years
    JAPAN IZ GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH

Back to the Grind(stone)

Who needs your puny sword battles.

I raise you one weeaboo elimination tool

Back to the Grind(stone)

To keep on the subject of video games, WHY ISN'T THE ULFBERHT IN ANY GAME YET?! Or any gun more modern than the Cold War era for that matter...

Sir Codin

I raise you one weeaboo elimination tool

Back to the Grind(stone)

To keep on the subject of video games, WHY ISN'T THE ULFBERHT IN ANY GAME YET?! Or any gun more modern than the Cold War era for that matter...
    I think the Ulfberht has been used in video games before, but very rarely. It's a sword from the in between point between Viking and Medieval Europe. Fantasy games like to stick with Medieval Europe and if they wanted something Norse looking, they'd just go with straight-up Viking Age.

As for the rifle, well.....I'd say that's a result of the M-16, AR-15, and other American rifles being too popular for their own good. Kind of like how when one thinks of Russian firearms, the Kalashnikov is the first to come to mind.

Arsenic

Years
    I think the Ulfberht has been used in video games before, but very rarely. It's a sword from the in between point between Viking and Medieval Europe. Fantasy games like to stick with Medieval Europe and if they wanted something Norse looking, they'd just go with straight-up Viking Age.

As for the rifle, well.....I'd say that's a result of the M-16, AR-15, and other American rifles being too popular for their own good. Kind of like how when one thinks of Russian firearms, the Kalashnikov is the first to come to mind.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, Ulfberht is in reference to the rifle pictured in this case!

And being an avid shooter fan, it's not just ARs and AKs that is the problem. You have your MP5s, G3s, SVDs, Glocks, USPs, M249s, SPAS 12s, AUGs, and FAMAS', along with your ARs and AKs. Tell me if this doesn't sound like the weapons available in every modern shooter.

At least Near-future ones mix it up a little.

Fitting. It was basically a F2P game with a price tag before.
    I think they missed the problem. I found the gameplay to just be poor and boring.

"Evolve: Making jetpacks not fun"

Last edited:

pkmin3033

So when/why did the DCC devolve into Fantastic Racism: The Thread? =/

Aaaanywho...

Actually, I count big Japanese AAA studios into AAA category since their biggest releases are usually made with western audience in mind.
    I mean... if we take a look at them (please add any if I forgot some, either studios or games you would like to know), I can't say I would be following their biggest franchises.

Square Enix - Of course, Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy, no one can escape this grasp =D But apart for that, I only go for their smaller titles like Setsuna. Or just a one from the bigger hitters like SaGa, MANA, Star Ocean, Kingdom Hearts. Can't say I would be following any of them particularly.
    But Just Cause, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Thief or Deus Ex? Nah, nope.

Konami - I don't think I actually played anything else than PES and YGO games. Metal Gear? Castlevania? Nah, nope again.

Crapcom - Can we not talk about them? xD I only played SFIV for fun on friend's PS3, apart from that, nothing from Capcom. RE does not appeal to me that much and Megaman is out of my radar.

Sony Japan Studios + Bamco - Pretty much the same situation as Squenix, only the smaller franchises (I don't presume Gravity Daze from SJS or SAO from Bamco would be their biggest sellings xDD)
    That makes a certain amount of sense. Well, I'm not sure I'd say all Japanese AAA titles are made specifically with a Western audience in mind, but that the cultural elements are utterly stripped right out of them are undeniable. Honestly, I find them quite dull in that regard a lot of the time...it's the "doing nothing to offend and thereby doing nothing" argument again. The one Nintendo live by with their localisation practices. And around we go again!

Mm, I'd agree with your assessment for the most part. That said, on the subject of Bamco, the Tales series are definitely Japanese titles. Very definitely. Well actually, I say this but I've noticed a gradual...shift, shall we say, with the recent console titles. Xillia and Xillia 2 reminded me a great deal of later Final Fantasy titles - as enjoyable as they were at times - in terms of plot and general tone, and Zestiria...the less said about Zestiria, the better. That the game drew its "inspiration" from Western mythology was very telling, though. Now we've got Berseria coming...I wonder if Bamco are going to go the same way as Square Enix have gone with Final Fantasy, since they've started to localise the titles in earnest and acknowledge their Western fanbase? That's...not a comforting thought.

These developers seem to forget that presentation is a huge part of appeal. Not graphical presentation - take note, Square Enix - but the cultural aspect of it. Japanese RPGs ooze charm, if you try and Westernize them during the localisation process (I know you'd argue the two are one and the same, but don't quibble on the definitions with me there, you know what I mean. xD) you strip a lot of that charm out. It makes them less appealing. At least in my opinion.

Yup, there won't be one year but half a year delay! xD
    Satoshi, your endless optimism is poison for my embittered, cynical soul. Stahp. xD

Arsenic

Years
    On the subject of race...

Just took Athens 2004 for a spin. Considering the time of its release etc, it's actually pretty damn good! Although I think I have now descended into my spiral of Olympic games,,,,,,,,,

Send help.

Grid coordinates plz mate.

Arsenic

Years
    In the immortal words of Street Fighter's Rufus: "You've fought the rest, now fight the best!"

Also ARMA......*shudder* what a good but HARD game.

Ohhh it isn't that hard. I wouldn't say I'm great but I tend to be a semi-respected squad leader. Sgt. Wilde (Yes it's really my name and yes it's great)

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years

I really love this theme. Fighting those hordes Hyperion loaders while GUUUUUUUNZERKING grants me an arousing feeling that gives me a 2 Meter murdercock.

pkmin3033

I never really noticed Borderlands' soundtrack whilst I was playing; on default volume settings its rather quiet and constantly drowned out by the screaming and gunfire. It's not really one of those games that inspired me to stop and pay attention.

...well, outside of Tales of the Borderlands, but even that was just the inset songs at the start of each chapter.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Yeah, same. Pretty much the only songs in Borderlands that I remember are their openings. Especially No Rest for the Wicked. That was on all the commercials back when the original was first released...which was so long ago now. Yikes.

Riajuu bakuhatsu shiro!
    Wow, lewd. Reported. Can't wait until the mod hears about this!

pkmin3033

I remember seeing Borderlands in GAME back when it was first released, it looked so unappealing that I didn't even consider buying it...not until a year later anyway, when I bought the GOTY edition on my 21st birthday because it was on sale and I had money, and I've always been the sort of person who buys stuff on sale just because it's on sale.

It took all day to install. I played it for the entire week following that. I'm usually pretty good at knowing what I will like and won't like beforehand, but I was waaaaaay off the mark with Borderlands. I mean, wow. I hope they've got something good planned for Borderlands 3...and more Tales from the Borderlands in the works. Much as I dislike the nature of episodic titles in general, there are exceptions to every rule, and that is very much an exception.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    It's hard to remember Borderlands soundtrack when you only play it with skype running in the background. Though I can't even remember the plot or characters either, but that's more of a writing issue, especially for Borderlands 2, or Memelands as people call it. It was a solid co-op game though, but kinda had A LOT of backtracking and repetitive missions.

pkmin3033

Backtracking is part-and-parcel of most open-world experiences, though...I'm not sure why people see backtracking as such a bad thing. Well, I suppose it depends on the game in question; if areas have more things to do when you return to them to the point that it feels like you're exploring them again, so much the better. Just running through the exact same areas can be tedious sometimes, though.

One thing a few JRPGs recently have been doing has been quite effective though is to stick higher-levelled enemies in areas you'll be returning to. Both Xenoblade titles had high-level enemies in low-level areas, and Star Ocean 5 has been changing the enemies in areas depending on story progression, which is a nice touch. As long as the design is interesting and/or there is something new each time you need to go there, I don't think backtracking is such a bad thing.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    It really depends on the game, and in Borderland's case, going back to areas wasn't a treat. I mean yeah, it's mostly side objectives, but doing them felt tedious as they don't really take you to new locations, it's mostly just going back where you were to kill something again. Something like Dead Island did it much better, since most of the stuff you're already doing while pushing forward and it doesn't feel like you backtrack a lot. Dead Island in general felt like a more fun co-op experience in my case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back