• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bad graphics? Bad construction? Bad game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombsey

La-li-lu-le-lo!!
    Years
    Plot has nothing to do with why the graphics are bad they are not though

I still do not know what Polkamon is please spell it right. I'm not being rude but other people will talk bad about your spelling and be much more rude than I was

Plot makes a game a hell of a lot more enjoyable, and playable.

And for the second time [oh yay!], I spell Pokémon as Polkamon because I do not feel I should spend the time to type it out correctly. Hey, most people spell it as Pokemon or Poke'mon anyway, so what's the big deal?

I could comment on your grammar, but I won't.

Last edited:
    Years
    Alright... ><

I'm not saying that PBR wasn't rushed. They just probably new that with the huge influx of P/P Pokemon, people would be dying for WiFi 3D battling, and that's what they gave us. The RPG was the focus of Colosseum and XD, while the battling was just some sort of side bonus. PBR's main focus is battling. It was not made with the intent of satisfying the need for a long, gripping plotline. Some more Stadium-ish features would have definately made it better, I agree, but the point still remains that Pokemon is first and foremost a handheld sries.

I doubt we'll ever get an in-depth 3D game. But who cares? People complained about Diamond and Pearl too, and this whole generation is just driving me crazy because of whining fans.

And Bombsey--I always thought you spelled Pokémon that way to make fun of it like that Weird Al song. xD

~Chibi~

Bombsey

La-li-lu-le-lo!!
    Years
    Chibi Pika said:
    I doubt we'll ever get an in-depth 3D game.
    I have to agree D=

Chibi Pika said:
    But who cares?
    Me, unfortunately.

Chibi Pika said:
    People complained about Diamond and Pearl too, and this whole generation is just driving me crazy because of whining fans.
    I happen to be one of those whiners D= Although I can't really be called a fan anymore.
    Chibi Pika said:
    And Bombsey--I always thought you spelled Pokémon that way to make fun of it like that Weird Al song. xD
    That is where it came from...but I've never listened to the song D=

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chibi Pika
    I doubt we'll ever get an in-depth 3D game.

I have to agree D=

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chibi Pika
    But who cares?

Me, unfortunately.
    I agree completely with this.

But I´m still a fan, and I like pokémon, and I can´t accept how the pokemon concept is being so badly used by it´s owners. :disappoin

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2009
    Sorry to uhm change/bump the topic a little, but I wanna point out some things..

As much as you can say, the Pokemon Co. is very rich, that does not mean they'll just be happily spending all of that money. Business people LOVE money. (Okay, that's overexaggerating juuuust a bit.....But you get it..)
    Now, we see little kids out and about everywhere. There are obviously a little more kids than teens and adults yes? Sooo...When you have business people and a huge audience, the business people would target the huge audience. They don't care about spending the money as much, they care about MAKING it.
    And who's the target of those business people? Kids. Why kids? 'Cause there's a huge lot of them. What do young children like to do when the new Pokemon game comes out? They yell and scream to their parents "MOMMY MOMMY I WANT THIS POKEMON GAME!! IT'S SOOO COOL!!!" (.......I'm pretty ashamed to say this but I was one of those kids...ahaha....^^;; )
    Now, when the kid goes home with his new game, he rips open the glossy shrink wrap, unveiling a glowing, holy box of 10 hours worth of entertainment...No eating..no sleeping..potty breaks every three hours.....Ahhh the feeling of...Wait I'm talking about little kids aren't I...?
    I mean, they'll rip open the shrink wrap and jump around to get big brother to put in the game console.
    Will those children actually take the time to ANALYZE THOROUGHLY the blue Pokeball in the background? Do they even know what a hexagon is? (Actually hexagons refer to a six sided object, rather than a 3D object.)
    So after a week, the game is thrown to the side to be replaced by something "cooler" and "funner"...

Well that's a cliched story for you. Of course that doesn't actually happen in many houses, but my point is: If you're rich, and you have the money, business hot shots would wanna make more money, and how do you do that? Through persuading kids to persuade their parents.

Plus...remodeling way over 300 Pokemon? Has anyone ever tried modeling and rendering...? It's....painful (for large projects anyway) and extremly time consuming....Despite the large amount of money they might have, you also consider the company they gotta hire, the number of designers, the music composers, editors, script writers, coding people, directors, sound people, etc. There's so many of them to keep track of..x_X

But back to what I wanted to get at with this point: Modeling is a pain in the butt. It might seem a little easier to REmodel, but hey, that's hard too. you gotta get certain math stuff (coordinates and measurements..) right and everything. One miscalculation and you can end up with a spiky cheekbone. (Ewww...)

So who wants to spend ALL that time to do just that, when some little kids are just gonna put it off to the side anyway?
    Teens, are of course, slightly different...They might end up playing the game at random moments (Like for me for instance, I still play Pokemon Puzzle League and STadium....I have several moments where I just HAVE to play them but end up whining about it...) But here's the thing: Not many teens are gonna BUY the things 'cause it's not sophisticated to them. I'm not saying Pokemon should be sophisticated, but to attract a wide amount of teenagers to buy an item would mean making certain things sophisticated and mature enough for them. And Pokemon sophisticated? If not a little, than no way. Maybe in fanfics and somewhat in the first movie, but never in the official stuff.

And to add an additional point: Think about those people who have to go through all of that stress and work just to provide us models of the new Pokemon alone!! If you were hired and told to remake a Dragonair, it would probably take you at least a month to get it nice and pretty. Okay, now that you've got Dragonair, what about the other 100 Pokemon you gotta work on? And when you're done with THAT there's the rendering of the backgrounds and the people and even the trainers themselves. Lemme tell ya, even professionals have a hard time with that. (Though if you've seen Shrek, you'd have a laugh with all the mess ups Dreamworks has created hehe...) 'Cause it takes up so much time and energy and..THINKING...

Also consider that those people have a life too. There's family and children and friends, possibly drama going on. I sure as heck wouldn't be very happy sitting in front of the computer for 10 long hours just trying to get a detail right while I have friends and family to be being with. Sure they love their job but you know people need a break from what they love too once in a while.

TO CONCLUDE EVERYTHING:

I think we should just be HAPPY we even have a Pokemon Wii game out. I've been dreaming about something like this since the Wii came out and I'm pretty darn happy about it!! Better something rather than nothing!! 10% is better than 0%!
    So let's not hear any more complaints, punch a fist in the air and yell out YEAH I GOT PBR!!!!! when we get it!!!!! :D

Also I think a closing of this thread would be nice......Unless other people want to share their opinions about this as well?

Spoiler:

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Think about those people who have to go through all of that stress and work just to provide us models of the new Pokemon alone!! If you were hired and told to remake a Dragonair, it would probably take you at least a month to get it nice and pretty.
    One month?
    No, actually 2 minutes!
    Do you know why?
    Well, today they don´t make a 3d model out of lines and numbers, etc, anymore...

Let me explain:
    If you have a sculpture, or a toy like this:
    Bad graphics? Bad construction? Bad game?

Simply put it into a professional scanner and...... You get a pokemon model!!!!!
    That´s why the last generation of pokemons are so perfect in PBR!
    And that´s why, I think they COULD, AND SHOULD, "remodel" every single pokemon.

Will those children actually take the time to ANALYZE THOROUGHLY the blue Pokeball in the background?
    YES! They will, because today those children play PS3, and XBOX 360, so they know what a round ball in a game is, and to prove, my little bro did so, and I don´t pointed that to him, he noticed it by himself.

Now, when the kid goes home with his new game, he rips open the glossy shrink wrap, unveiling a glowing, holy box of 10 hours worth of entertainment...
    10 hours of game.
    Let´s talk about a game that would take at last 1 week to finish, that would be great!
    But PBR you can finish in... in...
    0 seconds?

I think we should just be HAPPY we even have a Pokemon Wii game out. I've been dreaming about something like this since the Wii came out and I'm pretty darn happy about it!! Better something rather than nothing!! 10% is better than 0%!
    So let's not hear any more complaints, punch a fist in the air and yell out YEAH I GOT PBR!!!!! when we get it!!!!!
    Yes! Iwas dreaming about how THE POKEMON GAME FOR WII would be, how it would use the Wii-mote in the game (throwing the pokeball, maybe?), I was so excited about this game, and....
    once again, I was disappointed with what game freak did.

Another "made to sell" pokemon game.

Don´t get me wrong, I kinda like PBR, but I can bet that this game is not what you, me and a hole lot of red/blue/yellow generation of pokemon fans were hopping for, when the Nintendo Wii was first shown as "Nintendo Revolution".

Prince Roserade

De LichtBloem
    Years
    What a waste of thread and space and posting and everything in between.

You're judging a video game through YouTube videos. How lame is that? You have not even seen the game on its console nor do you own it nor have you played it. Please, next time, play and beat the actual game before you make posts like this. You're making assumptions and jumping to conclusions because of YouTube videos.

If I based the quality of something through its YouTube video, I'd not watch animé nor play video games. =/ Honestly, duuuuuuuuuuuude, just what were you thinking? Don't you know better?

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    Spoiler:

Either you're an elitist or a pessimist but this game is FREAKIN' AWESOME!
    (The Wii is a 256-bit system, whilst the GCN is 128.)

I have to laugh at this early post. Haha, how ironic!

Anyway, the blocky characters most likely because the game isn't finished yet. They'll fix it, have faith.

Simply put it into a professional scanner and...... You get a pokemon model!!!!!
    That´s why the last generation of pokemons are so perfect in PBR!
    And that´s why, I think they COULD, AND SHOULD, "remodel" every single pokemon.
    Animation takes time as well. Not to mention the programming. While they could just make a model like that, there are so many other things they have to do.

And as for the people complaining about the Wii's graphics. The Wii has fantastic graphics, granted, they are not as good as 360 or UrineS3, but they are a helluva lot better than UrineS2, XBox, and Gamecube.

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    Let's have our cake and eat it, too, people. Senseless complaining isn't very becoming. Did PBR drop the ball in some areas? Yup. Am I going to complain about it? Nope. GS is a relatively inexperienced company, and the targetted audience is something completely different than what the other systems are going for. Can you wish it were more oriented towards you? Sure. Is it ever going to happen? Not really.

LordxDanswich

Lord of the Sammich!
    Years
    I have to laugh at this early post. Haha, how ironic!

Anyway, the blocky characters most likely because the game isn't finished yet. They'll fix it, have faith.

If it's not finished yet then what the hell have i got sitting in my japanese wii?

PBR is an awesome game, sure some of the characters and pokemon are a bit blocky, but the majority of it is fine, and besides, when you're wifi battling you don't even notice.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    If it's not finished yet then what the hell have i got sitting in my japanese wii?

PBR is an awesome game, sure some of the characters and pokemon are a bit blocky, but the majority of it is fine, and besides, when you're wifi battling you don't even notice.

I don't know. Why do you have it sitting in your Japanese Wii?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    True... Gamefreak isn't too be blamed.
    But you know, the Wii wasn't suppose to have totally amazing graphics.
    Its more about being interactive, and less about killer graphics..
    So it figures that BR isn't as awesome, graphic-wise, as some would've hoped.

Still, it'll be fun to play.

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    Although, in the same context, one has imagine what it'd be like to have Pokemon in HD... *sighs* We won't see that for another seven-ten years, at least.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    You're judging a video game through YouTube videos.
    For the 99999999999 th time:
    I based my judging in youtube, AND HD videos of PBR, not only that, from friends that have both Wii and PBR, and to conclude , in pictures, and reviews from all around the world.

This game was finished in 2006...

And as for the people complaining about the Wii's graphics. The Wii has fantastic graphics, granted, they are not as good as 360 or UrineS3, but they are a helluva lot better than UrineS2, XBox, and Gamecube
    In this topic I have already said that I LIKE THE WII, an by doing so, I know how good it is.
    And I know that it has 3 times more power than a Game Cube, I know!
    I´m not talking about Wii´s graphics anyways, I´m talking about PBR.

Which characters are blocky? And how blocky are we talking about?
    Most of the first and second generation pokemons (98%, something about 245 pokemons) is still the same from Pokemon STADIUM 2, so looks like N64 graphics in these pokemons.

True... Gamefreak isn't too be blamed.
    But you know, the Wii wasn't suppose to have totally amazing graphics.
    Its more about being interactive, and less about killer graphics..
    So it figures that BR isn't as awesome, graphic-wise, as some would've hoped.
    If the main cause of my post were just complain about graphics I would not have my SNES here in my house.

Let´s put like this:

If the qualities in PBR are the wi-fi and "original" and interactive features, so what PBR can do in a wii that it can´t do in other system?
    PS3 and XBOX 360 have wi-fi connection too.
    And if "original" and interactive means put some clothes in your character, so you don´t played The Sims, and maaaaaaaaaany others that had this same feature decades ago.

Last edited:

Lil-Dill

I need to change that ^
    Years
    Thats all true acrof. PBR seems kinda crapy with the 1st and 2nd generation pokemon. I think it iz because they didnt have alot of pokemon models -like the manaphy one- then put it in a prof. scanner. But they couldve used some pokemon from Stadium 2 or even 1 -aswell as the pokemon sounds eg: gastly still sounds the same-.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Although, in the same context, one has imagine what it'd be like to have Pokemon in HD... *sighs* We won't see that for another seven-ten years, at least.

oo Lets hope not.

But yes, Pokemon in HD would be totally awesome..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back